Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Safe way into San Francisco?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008 | 12:36 PM
tom1340
|
Novice
Default Safe way into San Francisco?

My wife and I will bearriving SF from Monterey in late June. We are from Okla and wife is intimidated by Cal traffic.(she rides solo). Can anyone suggest a route from Montereyinto SF which isleast likely freak her out? Similar question for departing SF for Reno a couple days later.
Thanks for any hints.
Tom (& Linda) Tulsa

Old 05-17-2008 | 10:28 PM
Cruzzer
Cruiser
Default RE: Safe way into San Francisco?

Kind of hard to miss traffic in S.F. best way would be to take Hwy 1 as far as you can then cut over to Hwy 280 it will take you to Golden gate park, to get out and go to Reno you could take Hwy 101 to Hwy 37 to Hwy 80 this will bypass the traffic mess on the Bay Bridge and connect you to Hwy 80 to Reno. I hope this helps.

Old 05-18-2008 | 11:29 AM
Grumbler
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: tom1340
Can anyone suggest a route from Montereyinto SF which isleast likely freak her out? Similar question for departing SF for Reno a couple days later.
My personal favorite route through SF would be SH-35 (Skyline Blvd) north to the Great Highway by Lake Merced. Stay within the speed limit on the Great Highway as the traffic lights are timed for that. Great Highway will become Point Lobos Ave when it cuts east. It'll merge onto Geary Blvd (veer left) after which you can turn left onto 25th Ave and follow it to El Camino del Mar/Lincoln Blvd where you turn right. Lincoln Blvd will take you underneath US-101. Make the first left after the overpass to take the Golden Gate Bridge north.

As for getting to Reno from SF, I'll second the US-101 north and SH-37 east recommendation. You have several ways of getting to Reno from SH-37. I would take SH-121 north and east to SH-128 to E6 to northbound SH-113 then SH-20 east to I-80. However, you can take SH-49 fromNevada Cityto Sierraville then SH-89 to Truckee.

Old 05-18-2008 | 04:08 PM
tom1340
|
Novice

Cruzzer, Grumbler,
Thanks for the great info. Escaping SF through wine country is particualrly appealing. My plan is to arrive SF from Monterey early in the pm, before rush hour. But it we're late, I willhope rush hour traffic is flowing out of the city, rather than in-bound like us.
Tom

Old 05-20-2008 | 04:59 PM
CaliKing
Advanced

ORIGINAL: tom1340

Cruzzer, Grumbler,
Thanks for the great info. Escaping SF through wine country is particualrly appealing. My plan is to arrive SF from Monterey early in the pm, before rush hour. But it we're late, I willhope rush hour traffic is flowing out of the city, rather than in-bound like us.
Tom
Sorry man there is always a "rush hour" it never stops!!!
280 will be a good bet for a "little" less traffic but it will stink.
In the great state of Kalifornia you can split lanes so that will help you a bunch.

Personally I hate riding in SF and try to avoid it like the plague.

Old 05-22-2008 | 12:54 AM
renomoe
Intermediate

Let me know when you are riding into Reno. There are some must see's on a bike. When you are coming in on I-80 I would take Hwy 50 through Lake Tahoe and take it into Carson City. New / improved Harley dealership in Carson City that is worth a stop. If you like biker bars then Genoa is a must stop.....lots of history and biker friendly.

On the way back I would ride Hwy 50 and take the turn off toward Virginia City......neat biker friendly old west town....You then take Gieger Grade into Reno, Real nice views and ride.

There are several places NOT to stay in Reno and a couple of cool bars......let me know if you need more info....