Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Lane Spliting in California

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008 | 03:21 PM
Bluerose
Default RE: Lane Spliting in California

ORIGINAL: ironbyron

Three (3) to date (pinchers all). Saturday coming back from Long Beach Swap meet.East bound 91 fwy chump started rolling with wheel turn to right to do the pinch. Sorry safer to roll throttle than grab brakes. Wish were legal to use either left or right shoulder. Would be alot safer even with all the debris & stuff. 10 to 15 mph is usually tops for me. I could keep up with the CHP on one of their BMW's but not on mine. Not the fear of crashing but the cost of repair that scares me!
Those are for emergancy vehicles and some freeways eithere hardly have a left shoulder or none at all. I was thinking as I was riding down the 405 the otherday how nice it would be to have a "bike" lane...only needs to be about 1/2 a lane wide.

Then again if it caught on it would just as bad as the rest of the freeway[&:]

Old 03-25-2008 | 04:36 PM
Stelis
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: ironbyron

Three (3) to date (pinchers all). Saturday coming back from Long Beach Swap meet.East bound 91 fwy chump started rolling with wheel turn to right to do the pinch. Sorry safer to roll throttle than grab brakes. Wish were legal to use either left or right shoulder. Would be alot safer even with all the debris & stuff. 10 to 15 mph is usually tops for me. I could keep up with the CHP on one of their BMW's but not on mine. Not the fear of crashing but the cost of repair that scares me!
With gas prices going higher, maybe people will start driving smaller cars.

Old 03-25-2008 | 08:52 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

If everyone drives smaller cars, maybe they can make the lanes narrower and more of them.[sm=confused06.gif]Hmmm............

Old 03-25-2008 | 11:57 PM
92classic
Banned

hell yeah I split lanes, How the hell else are you suppose to get anywhere. One time I followed a CHP splittin lanes Life was good.

Old 03-26-2008 | 11:18 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

splitting lanes is the only way to travel during the work week!!!! im on the 15 every day in traffic sometimes the 91

Old 03-26-2008 | 12:04 PM
roadhawgray
Advanced

I've clipped 1 mirror in my yrs riding. I apologized and no damage done. I live in a high Asian comm (no offense to my asian biker bros) but thats where 90% of close calls come from. I only split lanes when traffic is crawling. Don't take chances if not nec. Most people are cool and scoot over, others dont even know you are there (loud radio, cell phone, etc) I always give a little rev of the pipes to announce my presence. Only a small percentage of people are ****** and wont allow access. I don't think they realize that I'm 1 less car they are behind of and will take me 2 secs to get by. If they are putting me @ risk, then I will take a fist to the mirror, but they have to really be trying to box me in. If you can, stick w/the carpool lane and only split in the fast lane. In the slower lanes, people are trying to exit @ last min and your risk factor goes up 10x
This falls on us 2. We have to be safer and not zip by and zig and zag our way through. We have to have patience as well. Most people are just frustrated and are just in a bad mood cuz they are stuck in traffic.

Old 03-26-2008 | 01:57 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member

If I'm riding the WideGlide, AND THERE IS ROOM, I'll split lanes. The E-Glide is another story. Guess with the faring it looks too wide. In over 40 years I have never clipped a mirror or car. If there isn't enough room I won't try. If I don't get eye contact in the mirror with the driver, I won't try. I'm not ready to fall under someones tires, and not in that much of a hurry. I've been riding for a lot of years and have ACCIDENTLY Squeezed bikers, didn't see or hear them.

Old 03-27-2008 | 02:57 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

I also am on the 15 and 91 fwyat times and traffic seems to dictate if I lane split or not.
It's not my favorite part of riding, and I find myself gearing up for it mentally before I go for it.
One needs a high level of concentration to navigate lane splitting without hitting a mirror now & then. To me it's like poker,,,one has to be very patient at times, and them be ready for well timed aggression.
And if a cage does move over, to give me and the bike more room, I ALWAYS make sure I shoot them a "thank you" wave as I go through. That way, (I'm hoping) they and others will see the good will gesture and move over for the next bike they see splitting traffic.

Ride safe, and often

Old 03-29-2008 | 07:24 AM
fj4069
Road Warrior

barely tapped one one time splitting lanes up to a light, was going slow and no damage done. have kicked off about 5 mirrors on the freeway from people thinking that i don't mind being squeezed bu them when i try to go by.

Old 03-29-2008 | 08:39 AM
mayfiebl
Advanced

I have been riding LA Freeways for over 30 years and yes I have hit a few but more have hit me.....We are not the ones at fault, I have a friend that gets really pissed and he will do his best to damage idiots that pull out, I watch way ahead, I also when possible give a bit of a wave or nod to the good people that pull in so you can get by, And in truth that happens more. I know this is a never ending subject but my Harleys or Sportbikes that had pipes were better, My 05 stock V Rod was a mess on the Freeway they never heard you or saw you and it was one of the reasons she was sold.....there is something to the bike noise Vs Safety....But we could go on forever.

Quick Reply: Lane Spliting in California