Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Lane Spliting in California

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008 | 11:21 PM
Bluerose
Default RE: Lane Spliting in California

I saw a guy the other day just reach out an fold the mirror back on a large truck so he could get by. Thought it was both clever and stupid.

When I was first learning and creeping though the cars (not that I am speed racer now) a guy pulled in front of me and did the finger wage in the rear mirror at me. Wanted to dent his car....probably would have felt better if I had [&:] then again I'm a girl and bruise easy...

Old 03-24-2008 | 11:56 PM
JohnnyBoy
|
Road Captain

Were I live and where it happened (intersection of the 101 Fry & 405 Fry) there are some really angry drivers.
I was told by someone once that this is the most busy freeway congestion in the world. I am a very peaceful
person (Virgo) so I would never do anything to egg on a confrontation, but sometimes I just want to ask these
types of people "Are you Civilized?" Somehow I remember growing up that it was a privledge to drive/ride and
to respect others on the road. Man, at 45 years, I'm so old school in that respect.

Old 03-25-2008 | 12:27 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

I clipped a mirror on a SUV while splitting. The guy was an AZZ, tried to squeeze me. I hit it pretty solid with my fairing. It was on the 5 just south of the 101. Some angry drivers in that area.Funny, there's a thread in the chat section discussing this subject. I guess most everyone thinks we're either stupid or crazy.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_3079962/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm#3091330

Old 03-25-2008 | 01:41 AM
Pegasus Racing
Cruiser

Ever tried to fallow CHP Bike,on the 210 @ 4:00pm on a week day, I have tried four time now with no luck, I'm cool with 55 to 60 mph, the CHP, in stand still traffic 70 to 90 mph, They ran off in a flash, too fast for my fatboy. I see sport bikes bumping mirrors all the time. I hit a mirror once, at a light in the late 70's

Old 03-25-2008 | 01:51 AM
marcss
Road Captain

Bumped three mirrors so far. Two honked as I went by, I just waved. A lot of people move over out of the way a little and I wave thanks. A few crowd the line on purpose but I get by them.

Old 03-25-2008 | 05:51 AM
SoCalByker
Tourer

Haven't hit a mirror, but seen riders ahead of me do it... I did hit a guy's wheel well with my front rubber peg the second week i had the sporty.. i convinced him the peg folds back and that nothing happened to his 1983 toyota corolla coupe as i rolled on the throttle and took off smiling with a face like this blue guy here: [&:]

Old 03-25-2008 | 10:46 AM
Mr Breeze
Cruiser

I used to think that people were being chitty by not moving over...then my wife reminded me that they probably couldn't see me coming up behind them just like sometimes I can't see them when I'm in the truck...

Old 03-25-2008 | 11:47 AM
davered51
Cruiser

I once clicked mirrors on boths sides while creeping up at a red light, have had pretty good luck on the freeway, but agree with Pegasus that you can't keep up with CHP!!

Old 03-25-2008 | 01:26 PM
Ronbaci
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Mr Breeze

I used to think that people were being chitty by not moving over...then my wife reminded me that they probably couldn't see me coming up behind them just like sometimes I can't see them when I'm in the truck...
This I understand but it's the a-holes that purposely move over to crowd you out. Had a big rig do it to me in stop and go traffic on the freeway once. I just waited him out and when I finally passed him, he flipped me off. Out-of-state trucker a-hole.

On the flip side, when people see me or realizeI am coming (and I only "share lanes" in stop and go traffic), they move over to give me plenty of room to go by.

Old 03-25-2008 | 01:47 PM
ironbyron
Tourer

Three (3) to date (pinchers all). Saturday coming back from Long Beach Swap meet.East bound 91 fwy chump started rolling with wheel turn to right to do the pinch. Sorry safer to roll throttle than grab brakes. Wish were legal to use either left or right shoulder. Would be alot safer even with all the debris & stuff. 10 to 15 mph is usually tops for me. I could keep up with the CHP on one of their BMW's but not on mine. Not the fear of crashing but the cost of repair that scares me!

Quick Reply: Lane Spliting in California