Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

SoCal Rider's Laughlin Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008 | 05:48 PM
designknd
Road Captain
Default RE: SoCal Rider's Laughlin Thread

yea, thanks for setting this all up Dinger.

Anubiss, nice photo, the bike looks killer.

Old 01-16-2008 | 06:19 PM
anubisss
Banned

Not to change the subject, but I was inspired by your b & w photos Ray. Thanks for the compliment...

Old 01-16-2008 | 06:54 PM
JohnnyBoy
Road Captain

Yes Indeed, thank you Dinger, I know a lot of time went into this. Johnny

Old 01-16-2008 | 08:45 PM
danofive0
Cruiser

+1 Dinger!
Thanks Dan

Old 01-17-2008 | 01:55 AM
Mr. Moto
Tourer

Dinger,

Thank youforsetting up and organizing thetrip.

Lou.

Old 01-17-2008 | 12:13 PM
JohnnyBoy
Road Captain

I'm excited to see how Dinger is going to design our journey. Perhaps he's going to get us up to the high desert on the 15, a bit of 40, then on the glorious Mother Road (Route 66) thru Ludlow/Amboy/Essex to see the old gas stations/hotels of times of past? Or will we approach from a more southern direction? Oh the possibilities!! We'll have to wait and see

Old 01-21-2008 | 12:38 PM
Dinger
|
Road Master

I'm glad we were able to get most of the details worked out! Here's a summary of things, forgive me if I've forgotten anything.

DanofiveO will bring 2 cans of tire sealant
Johnnyboy will bring water for the crew
Anubiss and myself will put together a tool kit
Designknd will bring a first aid kit
Lou, I forgot what you were assigned??? LOL!
We are all bringing up locks & cables!

The route to Laughlin will be decided on by the group prior to departing L.A. -- I don't know about any of you, but I was beat when I got home yesterday and that was only 200 miles!

I will have 3 chatterboxes. If you're planning on buying FRS walkie talkies please get a decent quality model and be sure to buy earbuds for them. Don't forget topack your battery chargersfor them, they might become very handy if we get split up when walking around!

Now here's the news you're all waiting for!

Bad News, for me that is! The banks are closed today so I couldn't make the deposit! [sm=laughingsmilie.gif]

Good News! The reservations have been made!!

3 Mountain View non smoking rooms with 2 queen beds and all nextdoor to each other.

The rooms are all in my name and we'll change them upon check-in. I will PM each of you a confirmation number.

There is acancellation period up to 30 days prior to the check-in date. March 23ish.

For now, it's all about waiting until April!!

Talk to you later!

Old 01-21-2008 | 01:46 PM
JohnnyBoy
Road Captain

Ok, I've taken some time to measure the distances on a couple of routes off some maps and google earth.

The most mainstream route is east 10, up north I-15, east on I-40, then north on the Needles Hwy. For an average starting
point (were all spread out in LA) I just used the 4 level in Downtown. Being that, Google reports that the distance from
the 4 level to Laughlin is 280 miles, with an average travel time of 4 hours and 20 minutes.

I had mentioned previously that it would be interesting to see some of old Rt 66. There are quite a few historic places to
see, Klondike, Siberia, Bagdad Cafe, Essex, Amboy, Crater Rock,etc. Route 66 runs east west and is just south of I-40.
On the mainstream route above, the I-40 portion is 139 miles. The Route 66 portion I'm talking about starts off on I-40
(east of I-15) and runs somewhat parallel to the 40, and eventually ends up back on the I-40 before Needles.

Mile for mile, the scenic Rt 66 sidetrip will cost us an additional 12 miles vs. the direct west-east route on I-40.

Dinger had mentioned a 29 palms route which I also looked up too. Thats a pretty nice run! It entails the 10 freeway east
to the 29 palms highway north, then the Amboy Highway north which then hits Rt 66 smack in the middle of option 2 above
in the town of Amboy. Then it's east on 66 to the 40 and so on. Mile for mile, this 3rd way will cost us an additional 3
miles totaling 283 miles.

I imagine there are pro's and con's to each route. The mainstream way is all super multi-lane highway and is designed for
modern day traveling and the comforts of it. Taking in some of the old historic routes would make it feel more nostalgic,
with the 2 lane roads and historic places to see, but is also off the beaten path and adds a few more miles to the haul.

I look at option 2 as a side jaunt that really is the mainstream way with a little detour getting us off the I-40 and back on again.
After really looking at it on paper/screen, If we book up on the mainstream route up the 15, get on the 40, and decide
that were getting bored with the big super-highway, we can option the 66 jaunt at that time, or if were still jonesing to get
to Laughlin ASAP, we'll then we'll just keep going on the 40.

I look at option 3 (29 palms) as a different beast alltogether and would most likely need to be decided on way before the
trip. This way would be super quite on the two lanes getting up to the 40 and most likely quite adventurous.

In closing, I'm sorry for being so wordy on this, but I had to lay it out in full so that we can ponder on it for a bit. I don't fancy
one way that much more than the other as I am happy to just be going and am gratefull that you gents are allowing me to tag along.
We all seem to get along real well, so whatever way we go, wherever we stay, wherever we eat, see, and do, I know were ALL
going to have a safe and good time. Johnny

Old 01-21-2008 | 02:04 PM
Dinger
|
Road Master

So now we'll have 3 possible routes to decide on.

Great work, Johnny!

1. Direct 15>40>Needles

2. 15>40>Route66>40>Needles

3. 10>29palms/Desert Center>Route66>Needles.

I'm okay with whatever you all want. BUT after the way I felt yesterday, I was thinking it might be best to take the most direct way up and then on Sundaydecide on taking a touring route on the wayhome.That way having ridden all the way there, we'll know if we can handle adding more to theride!

Old 01-21-2008 | 02:37 PM
marcss
Road Captain

Highly reccommend the 10, to 62, to Amboy rte66, to 40, and then go north on the AZ side to avoid traffic and cross at the bridge. Stopped at Hutchins HD in Yucca Valley for breakfast (nice diner attached). It's more relaxed, more scenic, less freeway blasting. One of our riders had big apes and he wanted to take it slower (65-70max mph) because of the wind beating him up, was going to get a windvest shield for his bike at the show for these long trips. It was the first really hot week, which going a little slower helped. Route 66 is like going back in time... very cool. We stopped there too for water break. Started out in leather jacket & chaps, ended up in jeans, t-shirt, cotton longsleeve(for sun), burned the top of my hands though. Was weird on AZ side seeing riders in shorts/jeans no shirt, no helmet; and girls in shorts & bikini tops on the back! Since traffic is 99% bikes cruisin, I guess not that unsafe. Lots of distracting eye candy!

Quick Reply: SoCal Rider's Laughlin Thread