Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Temecula, Ca and pipe tickets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:04 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temecula, Ca and pipe tickets?

This is coppied from General HD Chat section.
Anyone else have any info in this??

Boycott Temecula, California!
Me and two friends rode to Old Temeculatoday for lunch. Ireceived a ticket for non-original exhuast systems (Screaming Eagle pipes). The motorcycle officers ticketedEVERY bike/bikers without orginal exhaust. The two officers were embrassed to issue so many tickets. At least the officer that issue me the ticket. He keep telling me thathe doesn't like the issue this kind of "bull ****" ticket, but was ordered to do so. In the mean time I must wait for the court to send me instruction how to fix, or how muchfine to pay, as the officer didn't know. Temecula Harley please intervene, beacause if you don't this actionwill chase away alot of your customers, and I'm one of them.

ElSexton

Old 07-28-2007, 10:20 AM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Temecula, Ca and pipe tickets?

Unless each individual bike was making excessive noise (or some other type of illegal act), the LEO’s did not have probable cause to pull you over. I would have immediately asked to speak to a supervisor, which they have to do, and argue probable cause.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:49 AM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior

Please post the VC section he wrote you for so I can review it. As far as I know Ca. does not have such a section for non original pipes. Just a section for loud exhaust. To cite for loud exhaust they must have a decibel (spelling) meter with themin order to verify.
Some brass has probably ordered this action so they can show they have a problem to impose a municiple ordinance.
Quaids better be watching this.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:26 AM
rottnutz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The thing is when I was down there a couple weeks ago, the CHP looked like they all but surrender the roads and were relegated to roadside assistance. Least it did in the LA basin. One crotch rocket flew past me and was so loud my ears rung for 10 mins after. I guess they could set up shop anywhere, but I didn't any that were too concerned about the nascar racing done on the LA freeways..

Old 07-29-2007, 09:03 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I know there are alot of LEO's in Old Town. This is the first I've heard of this problem[sm=confused06.gif]

Old 07-29-2007, 10:55 AM
marcss
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Soft06

This is coppied from General HD Chat section.
Anyone else have any info in this??

Boycott Temecula, California!
Me and two friends rode to Old Temeculatoday for lunch. Ireceived a ticket for non-original exhuast systems (Screaming Eagle pipes). The motorcycle officers ticketedEVERY bike/bikers without orginal exhaust. The two officers were embrassed to issue so many tickets. At least the officer that issue me the ticket. He keep telling me thathe doesn't like the issue this kind of "bull ****" ticket, but was ordered to do so. In the mean time I must wait for the court to send me instruction how to fix, or how muchfine to pay, as the officer didn't know. Temecula Harley please intervene, beacause if you don't this actionwill chase away alot of your customers, and I'm one of them.

ElSexton
This is a very scary turn of events. Hope it doesn't catch on anywhere else? Abate or someone needs to step in on this. Does not seem right or legal. If it's a revenue making thing or trying to discourage the bikers, would be nice to turn the tables in the court room.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: SOCALHD

Please post the VC section he wrote you for so I can review it. As far as I know Ca. does not have such a section for non original pipes. Just a section for loud exhaust. To cite for loud exhaust they must have a decibel (spelling) meter with themin order to verify.
Some brass has probably ordered this action so they can show they have a problem to impose a municiple ordinance.
Quaids better be watching this.
Here are the codes:

Vehicle Code section 27156 (VC 27156), California's anti-tampering law, prohibits the installation of any add-on or modified emission-related part on any pollution-controlled motorcycles, unless the part has been exempted by ARB. ARB exempts a motorcycle part from the prohibition of VC 27156 if the part is found to do either of the following: 1) not reduce the effectiveness of any required emission control device on the motorcycle, or 2) demonstrate that the applicable emission standards are being met when the part(s) are installed on the motorcycle.

Motorcycles which are manufactured for on-road use have been pollution controlled since the 1979 model year. Starting the 1979 model year, add-on and modified parts for on-road motorcycles have been required to receive an anti-tampering exemption. Likewise, motorcycles which are manufactured for off-road use have been pollution controlled since 1997 model year and are subject to the prohibitions in VC 27156.

VC 27156 only applies to emission-related add-on and modified parts. These are parts that are not functionally identical to an original part on the motorcycle. Some examples are fuel injection systems, re-jetting of carburetors, aftermarket catalytic converters, performance camshafts, and gear sprockets. Conversely, parts that serve as direct replacements to stock parts, like spark plugs, plug wires or air cleaner elements, do not need to be exempted. Manufacturers though must maintain records with specification data that confirm their replacement parts are indeed functionally identical. Note that exhaust systems (headers or mufflers) intended for installation on non-catalyst equipped motorcycles are also considered by ARB to be replacement parts provided all emission controls originally connected to the exhaust manifold are reconnected to the exhaust system and are functioning properly.

If I read that right only 2007 and up exhaust changes on a Harley can be considered "Tampering". My 2006 exhaust or muffler did not have any emissions parts contained in the header or muffler....thus why the dealers would readily sell you an after market set of pipes up until 2006. Source: California Air Resources Board. I'm pretty sure the emissions changes between 2004 and 2006 were engine based and inclued EFI. Someone corect me if there were significant exhaust change specifically focused on emissions.

EPA Says: The Clean Air Act, Section 203(a) states that it is illegal, “for any person to remove or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle in compliance with regulations under this title prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser or after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser.”
[font=v

Old 07-30-2007, 06:56 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree, fight it! Baffle 'em with BS

Old 07-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Finn111
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's everywhere. From today's O.C. Register;

The thundering roar of motorcycles racing up and down Imperial Highway could be reduced to a whisper, thanks to a crackdown by Anaheim police and a little-known federal law.Motorcyclists with illegally loud exhaust systems began receiving citations on Imperial Highway in Anaheim Hills after weeks of warnings.
Anaheim Police Sgt. Mike Zigmund gave a final notice to about 60 bikers at Keno's restaurant the weekend of July 14.

"We told them that this was the last warning," he said. "They were pretty cooperative."
Armed with a decibel meter, resident Ellie Oliver measured the sound of passing bikers. "The noise was deafening," she said. "I recorded readings of 115 to 135 decibels," – 34 to 54 points above the city's 81-decibel exterior noise limit.

This month, Zigmund and his crew took their own readings and began citing bikers.
"The meter really isn't necessary," he said. "The courts have said that most cops can tell which pipes are legal and which aren't."
Anaheim resident Todd Hamo, a representative of Noise Free America's Orange County chapter, said decibel meter readings "have been called into question in court."
"But," he said," there is an Environmental Protection Agency system that removes all ambiguity when enforcing (illegal exhaust pipe) noise."
Known as the label-matching system, the federal regulation requires manufacturers to place two labels on every motorcycle they make – after it has passed a noise emissions test, at the factory. One label is on the chassis, the other on the muffler. Each contains a code that is unique to the make and model of the bike. By comparing them, officers can determine at a glance whether the vehicle has the appropriate exhaust system.
If it doesn't, or if there is no label, the motorcycle is in violation of Section 4909a(2) of the Noise Control Act of 1972.

Zigmund had been unaware of the EPA regulation, but looked it up on www.noisefree.org.
"This might explain why some of the bikers have said that dealerships will not put after-market pipes on their bikes anymore," the police officer said. "They have in the past. Just because the dealer installed them, doesn't mean they are legal, though."

Tustin resident Gordon Pearson has a noise problem in his neighborhood, too.
"Our whole society would be so much better," he said, "if we would just enforce the laws we have."

The Noise ****'s are here to stay!

Old 07-30-2007, 04:29 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I mentioned in another post – “unless you are doing something stupid or rapping your pipes, a LEO has to have PROPABLE CAUSE to pull you over.”

If this should occur, immediately demand to speak to a supervisor (they have to allow this.) Without PROPABLE CAUSE, they don’t have a leg to stand on.

Been there – done that [X(]

Quick Reply: Temecula, Ca and pipe tickets?