Pacific Northwest Washington, Oregon and Idaho

central oregon

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013 | 04:27 PM
B_nichols
|
Cruiser
Default central oregon

Anyone else in central Oregon? I recently moved up here from southern CA and looking for some people to ride with.

Old 12-16-2013 | 10:50 PM
Onramp
Cruiser

Just saw your post. I have a vacation home in Bend, head down from Renton (Seattle Area) 2 or 3 times a year. I don't see too many bikes in Bend, but would give you a holler when I am coming down next spring/summer. Are you interested in longer rides (week or so) to Utah, Cal, Arizona, maybe New Mexico? I ride a 2010 Ultra Limited. Let me know, and thanks! Pat

Old 12-16-2013 | 10:52 PM
Rootro
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by B_nichols
Anyone else in central Oregon? I recently moved up here from southern CA and looking for some people to ride with.
Welcome and congrats on getting out of kalfornia.

Old 12-17-2013 | 01:07 AM
B_nichols
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Onramp
Just saw your post. I have a vacation home in Bend, head down from Renton (Seattle Area) 2 or 3 times a year. I don't see too many bikes in Bend, but would give you a holler when I am coming down next spring/summer. Are you interested in longer rides (week or so) to Utah, Cal, Arizona, maybe New Mexico? I ride a 2010 Ultra Limited. Let me know, and thanks! Pat
I would love to do some week long trips, but my work schedule just won't allow it. I still ride back and forth to southern California from time to time, but I do the 900 miles in a day and turn around and get home a couple days later. but i live about 20 mins south of bend in sunriver, so if you are up for a day trip when you are in town, let me know

Old 12-17-2013 | 02:12 AM
jett14
Tourer

Originally Posted by B_nichols
I would love to do some week long trips, but my work schedule just won't allow it. I still ride back and forth to southern California from time to time, but I do the 900 miles in a day and turn around and get home a couple days later. but i live about 20 mins south of bend in sunriver, so if you are up for a day trip when you are in town, let me know

Totally envious, I live in central florida and snowboard on Mt Bachelor every feb.....would love to work out a cross country move some day.

Old 12-18-2013 | 12:51 AM
B_nichols
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jett14
Totally envious, I live in central florida and snowboard on Mt Bachelor every feb.....would love to work out a cross country move some day.
I'm pretty lucky to live where I do. I only live about 20 mins from mt bachelor also. The roads in Oregon have been amazing so far, and seems like there are scenic byways everywhere you go.

Old 04-23-2014 | 01:00 PM
Sasquatch2727
Cruiser

I was happy to see the thread on Central Oregon. Last August I rode from Seattle to John Day and then south on 395 to Wagontire and then west to Christmas Valley. From there I just rode desert roads for a couple days. Went up to Bend for the night, visited Deschutes Brewery and Wild Horse Harley before heading north to The Dalles.

It was an outrageously great trip with awesome scenery, good roads and some adventures too. I want to do it again this season but don't want to seem like a "fanboy" for that area. Though, hell, why not?

Old 04-23-2014 | 01:08 PM
deano360
Road Warrior

being in vancouver we get up around hood quite a bit, but havent ventured down into the bend area yet.. we really enjoy the St. Helens rides we take.. there is so much to see and do when we are out, but i would like to get take longer rides... who knows maybe this summer

Old 04-23-2014 | 01:14 PM
Sasquatch2727
Cruiser

Central Oregon with Fort Rock in the distance.

Old 04-23-2014 | 06:51 PM
Onramp
Cruiser

McKenzie Pass Hiway (242 out of Sisters) is called the Dragon Tail of the West. The road is closed over the actual pass from November to late June or early July. This road is a BLAST! I try to not set any land speed records, but do get passed by lots of sport bikes with riders dragging knees and elbows thru the turns. The road is pretty narrow in places, and on the west side of the pass, occasional gravel in the turns where someone cut it to tight (cage probably) and threw gravel on the road. Scenery is AWESOME. Here is a video of some sportbikes riding from west to east. The end shows what it looks like at the top of the pass. They don't show much further east, but I thought it was the best part of the ride. At any rate, you can see the problem with oncoming sport bikes - riding the edge of the yellow line (or crossing over), but leaning WAY in to your space.

Not sure I can make it down this year - wife is dealing with cancer, and we have animals she can't deal with while on chemo. Have to see how it goes.

Anyway - make the pass part of your summer riding program. BTW - 20 out of Sisters going west is pretty cool as well.

More later.

Quick Reply: central oregon