Canadians look here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 10:34 PM
rebbe18
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Canadians look here!!!

There is no duty.
Make sure it is sent to you via USPS (United States Postal Service). Sometimes it will come right to your door with your regular mail delivery and sometimes Canada Post will charge taxes and a small handling fee.
It is basically hit and miss.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:36 PM
rebbe18
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try and find a seller who gives a 20% discount and also will send the items to you via USPS.
You will save the outrageous brokerage fees people like UPS charge.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AlthoughI appreciate the concerns about the difference in pricing between the US and Canada, without including all the other costs mentioned above (shipping, etc), you're not making an accurate statement. We're not exactly getting ripped off. Are we paying too much? Yes! But blame it on the exchange rate, rising shipping costs, duty (most parts are made in Taiwan, so there is duty charged to Deeley's, who in turn up the price to the dealer).

Look at the price of the bikes and how much they have dropped in Canada, while still going up in the US. If the US dollar regains it's strength (which it will) then the Harleys in Canada will go back up in price. So that means if you bought one recently, you will come out ahead when this happens. In 2003 a RK Classic cost $28,099; the 2007 version will cost you $ 21,919. Neither Deeleys or Harley were under any obligation to lower the prices when the US dollar dropped (thank you George W), but they did. I didn't see any of the car makers lower their prices, so maybe we aren't getting such a bad deal after all.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:47 PM
markdt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never paid duty on any motorcycle part. Clothes , helmets and non PARTS are not duty free, if over $50.00. I have gotten ALL my parts from e-bay or a custom builder friend in California. Paid at least 1/2 the cost of parts up here. They want $39.00for a temp dipstick up here and $19.00 at the dealer in the states and $9.99. from e-bay for the same part... THE ONLY THINGI BUY FROM THE DEALER Is THIER SPORTRANS FLUID, OR UNDER $20.00 ITEMS .. Mark...

Old 04-03-2007, 12:49 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Yah what Sam said ....in post #23

Rob

Old 05-08-2007, 02:48 AM
MountainCat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Verygood reading in this thread!!! I have been doing Ebay purchases for some time now not HD related as well as online purchases too. The waiting game sometimes is a pain when it comes to mail but the savings are well worth it. Just the other day I got a bill from UPS for something... not sure what it was for as i have recieved alot of items lately. Gonna have to pay more attention I guess

MountainCat
Dawson Creek, BC

Old 05-09-2007, 06:51 AM
Chupa
Novice

I was amazed at the mark up in edmonton at the harley shop.I owned a honda and they are just as bad.Buy all your aftermarket stuff in the US and ship thru the post office.Ive spent over 7 grand on bike parts and have always saved bigtime over what any dealer will charge me for the same parts.

Ive used JPcycles and cruisercustomizing alot.Also EBAY is great if you dont mind searching for stuff.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:12 PM
angusclay
6th Gear

Same goes for any gear you need. Go to you local bike shop and try on what you like, see what fits. Then order it online. I've saved a ton a cash doing this.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:58 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,862 Likes on 807 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sam

AlthoughI appreciate the concerns about the difference in pricing between the US and Canada, without including all the other costs mentioned above (shipping, etc), you're not making an accurate statement. We're not exactly getting ripped off. Are we paying too much? Yes! But blame it on the exchange rate, rising shipping costs, duty (most parts are made in Taiwan, so there is duty charged to Deeley's, who in turn up the price to the dealer).

Look at the price of the bikes and how much they have dropped in Canada, while still going up in the US. If the US dollar regains it's strength (which it will) then the Harleys in Canada will go back up in price. So that means if you bought one recently, you will come out ahead when this happens. In 2003 a RK Classic cost $28,099; the 2007 version will cost you $ 21,919. Neither Deeleys or Harley were under any obligation to lower the prices when the US dollar dropped (thank you George W), but they did. I didn't see any of the car makers lower their prices, so maybe we aren't getting such a bad deal after all.
I agree with Joe. How come I can order HD parts from the USA (Zanotti's or M&M) and the parts are significantly less expensive, even including shipping, exchange and customs fees? We're getting BONED up here on HD parts, no doubt about it. Give you a good example. Last summer, I wanted to buy the quick release detachable windshield. I went to my dealer and the price was nearly $600.00 (HD MSRP), and almost $700.00 after tax was added. I ordered it from M&M, and including shipping, exchange and taxes and customs fees, I saved around $150.00. That's a real big difference!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 06-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

Today, (June 1rst) The US dollar is trading at 94 cents, yet Deeley's are using a 30% exchange rate on the parts they are selling??? If that isn't ripping Canadians off.... well you know.[:'(]

Quick Reply: Canadians look here!!!