Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Pure One filters

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pure One filters

ORIGINAL: streetglide88

and its got a great rating as a filter.....
By who?

Old 05-06-2007, 08:24 PM
streetglide88
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know what Bryan I spent a loooong time on this forum before I changed the oil in my SG from syn 3 to what I currently use (Mobil 1) I wish I had the thread in front of me about who tested oil filters and cut them in half to look at the construction of them,but I don't.Maybe somebody else in the forum can recall thatand they can show you who did the test and what the results were,what I do remember is that K&N finished pretty high up.Wish I had specifics But I don't. Sorry...

Old 05-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: streetglide88

You know what Bryan I spent a loooong time on this forum before I changed the oil in my SG from syn 3 to what I currently use (Mobil 1) I wish I had the thread in front of me about who tested oil filters and cut them in half to look at the construction of them,but I don't.Maybe somebody else in the forum can recall thatand they can show you who did the test and what the results were,what I do remember is that K&N finished pretty high up.Wish I had specifics But I don't. Sorry...
For filtering not bad, but the K&Nanti drainback valve is not the best. Here's an excerpt from a oil filter review.
"Finally, some oil filters come with an anti- drain back valve. This is not necessary in a filter which is mounted vertically, with the opening pointed up. However, most motorcycles mount their filters horizontally, so this is very important to us. This is typically a piece of nitrile or silicon rubber which blocks off the filter oil inlets unless there is positive pressure into the filter. After you have used a filter for a while, if it's doing it's job, the filter is full of these 20 to 50 micron particles which mean death for your bearings. If you were to ever run the oil through this filter backwards, these particles would be released into the engine almost all at once. This "would be bad." When you turn off your engine, if the filter has no anti-drain back valve, whatever oil is in the filter will drain back into the oil pan, bringing with it a whole bunch of really evil junk. So, we want filters with good anti- drain back valves: the stuff that's in the filter should stay in the filter. To the right is a picture of the Pure-One and the Mobil-1 anti-drainback valves. Both filters use the superior silicon rubber. The Pure-One has a larger core and a convex shaped mating surface to guarantee an excellent fit. The Mobil-1 has a flat seal and a flat mating surface which do not inspire the same confidence. The Mobil-1 anti-drainback valve is in turn clearly superior to that of most other filters. The people linked below who dissected many oil filters found that some brands have a really cheap piece of plastic that doesn't seal very well. The filters I have listed as top rated all have good anti-drain back valves.
I received an email from Suzuki of Victoria, informing me that a Hayabusa they took in for service showed no oil pressure. They found the cause was an aged anti-drainback valve on a Hi-Flo filter that would not open, thus cutting off all oil pressure to the entire engine. K&N filters are made by Hi-Flo, so these filters are also suspect." Here's a link to the whole article and more. Look on the left side colum, some good stuff there. http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Fil...tml#OilFilters

Old 10-05-2007, 10:16 AM
my2dogs
Intermediate

I just put a pure one filter on my dyna, it comes with a 30 day warranty? I have never purchased an oil filter with a warranty, anyway its cool its a metallic blue, like the gun metal pearl color. anyway it looks like a great filter. who decided to put that stupid plug by the oil filter anyway? that was about stupid, I put an oil cooler on there and its very tight on the filter, I can just slide it in there.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of the aftermarket filters that fit the Twin Cam engines are the same P/N within a brand that fits the Suzuki Samurai & Sidekick, GEO/Chevy Tracker, some Toyota 4-cyls, Yugo, Dodge Shadow, and several other makes of autos.

If you go to the filter company's website you can view the build specs on any given P/N filter. Harley specs andsellsa 10-micron filter for the TC engines,and most of the aftermarket filters are 19-micron.
For some people this is a factor to consider when buying, for others it is not...

Old 10-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Z_Stingray
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't want to fire up a five page depate on oil filters. But, I use the Pure One filter and I love it. The color matches my Cobalt Blue FLHX. I'm going to stick with 'em.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:39 AM
jkelley
Tourer

Pure one part number PL10241

Works on my 07 Fat Boy Just sprayed it black.....

Old 10-08-2007, 07:44 AM
dert
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its an evo,you dont want to use anything less than a 19 or 30 micron...different oiling system all together...

Old 10-08-2007, 04:31 PM
kemosabe2
Cruiser

The one I use on my 02 Softail is Purolator ML16822, black, motorcycle specific.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:47 PM
MULESKINNER
Advanced

Here is a post from an oil filter discussion on the VTwin forum I found. After reading it you will find out why anyone with a twin cam HD engine should be using a HD five micron oil filter and NOT any other aftermarket filter. And yes, you are protected by the Magnussen Moss act, but if you use a non HD five micron oil filter and the dealer thinks the engine failure was caused by that filter, it will cost you thousands to hire an attorney to fight them. Is it worth it to save $3.00 on an oil filter. I think not!

HI all.

A few weeks back, there was a post asking about using Baldwin filters.
Wile it would seem that the whole post is now gone, this was the catalyst that started me down this path, and what I have found has quite shaken what I thought to be true, and I feel I need to pass this on to all of you here.

I will state plainly that I have no dog in the fight, I do not, nor have I ever worked for Harley Davidson, I do not even own stock in it.
My hope is to have a discussion, and though I am sure I will bend a couple noises out of joint, it is not what I am trying to do, I am only passing this on to you with the hope it will save you down the road.

I was always told by filter companies and in school, you use a filter that is made and designed for the engine and vehicle.
As we all know, or should know about our Twin cams is that the first factory oil filter is that the first design was the standard 30 Micron type, the same ones they used for the EVO and sportster engines, but they found out quickly that this cause issues in the engine, mainly, the oil feed holes to the cam tensioners would clog up, and the oil pumps could not maintain pressure.
The problems only got worse with more dirt and soot.
So the company made a new filter, a 10 Micro that solved or slowed down these Issues, until the "B" and the 06 Dyna. These Engines needed the filtration taken to the 5 Micro level, and now that the all the 07's used this, they have replaced the 10 with the new super 5 filter.

The Issue with the new tensioner design is this, the oil feed holes to the tensioners get restricted and clogged if you do not use a 5 Micron filter, is this is the reason why the company went to the new Super 5 filter.

With this all said, if you use the factory filter, you should be just fine, the problem is this, the aftermarket filters have not ben following Harley on this.
When the guy with the Baldwin question challenged my answer, I made a call to Baldwin on the tech line, what i learned in the call got me calling other filter manufactures, and well, I was dismayed.

You have to understand form a manufactures point of view, Harley's are a very small market, compared to say a Toyota or a Chevy or Dodge, but it cost the same amount of capital to gear up to make a filter and test and so on, so most filters you see listed in the Aftermarket, are in fact, filters made for cars that they feel will work. They based there estimate on the first design 30 micron filter, and found filters that had a similar flow and filtration characteristics, you know, close to, but not the same.
The way they measure filtration is by what is the largest size the media will capture, the smaller the number, the smalled the particle. anything smaller then the number will pass through the filter.

Here are some that I have checked on....

Baldwin B1413 18 Micron

Wix 51215 24 [b][color=#ff0000]Micron
[/colo