Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Coolers

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 07:57 PM
carpricer66@gmail.com
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Coolers

Does anyone have any thoughts about oil coolers. I have been thinking about adding one to my 2005 Fatboy it seems to get hot especially in heavy traffic. I have read good things about the Jaggs but I can not decide on a low mount or one that mounts on the down tube. I thought about an Oil Bud but it is a lot more money. The H-D one that mounts between the down tubes looks like a good idea but I wondering it if is just block the air flow around the heads. I wondering if I should go all the way and add a high volume oil pump. Just looking for ideas.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:59 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Oil coolers seems to be a debatable subject among riders. But I'm a believer in them for air cooled engines. Each time I get a new ride, I install a oil cooler on the first service. I've always purchased the ones from HD that I hear are made by Jagg.

All my coolers were installed down low behind tire/fender and work well. One on the down tube would cool a bit better just because of better airflow. Either one you choose should work fine.

What I have found over the years is that a oil cooler works good by itself, but in combination with a good engine tune, synthetic oils, low oil thermostat, oil filter cooler - you will see the best results.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:01 AM
Back in the saddle again
Stage IV
Default Oil Coolers

I have a HD cooler that is thermostatically controled. I don't know how much more capacity it makes to an oil change. Could not find it in directions. I guess I can just keep adding oil til dip stick says full, But I don't want to add too much and have to drain off the exact amount. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I was hoping to find out a figure in ounces??

Old 06-07-2014, 09:13 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a Jagg low mount. I went with that one because it's less obtrusive.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:17 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Back in the saddle again
I have a HD cooler that is thermostatically controled. I don't know how much more capacity it makes to an oil change. Could not find it in directions. I guess I can just keep adding oil til dip stick says full, But I don't want to add too much and have to drain off the exact amount. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I was hoping to find out a figure in ounces??
I don't know the exact capacity in ounces but it's not that much. When I changed my oil a few weeks ago I added what the manual called for, fired it up for a few then checked it. It was almost dead on. I then took a short ride and checked it hot and only ended up adding 1 - 2 oz. I picked up a "Oil Mixing Tool/Syringe" at Walmart and I can measure out what to put in or take out if needed.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:00 PM
martin1
Cruiser

How hot does your bike run? The softails, at least in theory, should run a few degrees cooler since they have the external oil tank. My 103ci softail with stock engine runs about 230 on a hot day which to me is nothing to worry about.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:32 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 566 Likes on 394 Posts

HD coolers are no longer made by Jagg. I too have always run a cooler on every bike i've owned. Coolers are like insurance, ya don't need it till ya need it.