Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Dealer Said Warranty Void

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 10:45 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Dealer Said Warranty Void

ORIGINAL: pauletich

Talk to the dealer today, He said its best to stick with HD oil due to it formulated for the HD bikes. You will have less trouble getting HD to fix things if you used HD products.

What do you expect them to say? The likelihood is that this is the only oil they sell. Any high-quality synthetic oil is "formulated" for HD bikes, and there is no magic formula for compatibility as suggested by your dealer. Don't fall for the hype, but buy the synthetic oil that is least expensive and easiest to obtain in your area. HD cannot legally deny you your warranty rights if you use an oil that fits their specs, so don't let them convince you that they can. Don't be intimidated!

If they attempt to insist on using HD oil to validate your warranty, obtain a copy of the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act), read it, and show it to them. At the same time, have them put their statements in writing. They won't do it.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:10 AM
Dean454
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk to the dealer today, He said its best to stick with HD oil due to it formulated for the HD bikes. You will have less trouble getting HD to fix things if you used HD products.
Not wanting to create a scuffle as I believe in the use the best oil for the job philosophy. ....

And in answer to members requests for them to put it in writing, I was leafing through my 2007 HD International owners manual (book ref # 99466-07) and on page E-61 for Primary Chaincase Lubrication it states under the note section "Use only GENUINE Harley-Davidson FORMULA+ TRANSMISSION AND PRIMARY CHAINCASE LUBRICANT (Part No. 99851-05 quart)"

The caps are not me shouting, this is exactly how it is written in the manual.

So does this qualify for the free oil program??? lol

Old 08-19-2007, 12:53 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Dean454

Not wanting to create a scuffle as I believe in the use the best oil for the job philosophy. ....

And in answer to members requests for them to put it in writing, I was leafing through my 2007 HD International owners manual (book ref # 99466-07) and on page E-61 for Primary Chaincase Lubrication it states under the note section "Use only GENUINE Harley-Davidson FORMULA+ TRANSMISSION AND PRIMARY CHAINCASE LUBRICANT (Part No. 99851-05 quart)"

The caps are not me shouting, this is exactly how it is written in the manual.

So does this qualify for the free oil program??? lol
But if you look at what comes from the MOCO's factoryyou'll see that all their bikes come with synthetic oil and there is a sticker located on the primary housing that says as such"This sticker Must be removed bycustomer only" and the underlying message on that sticker says " This bike comes with synthetic oil in it's main oil, transmission and primary reservoirs". So what is MOCO hypocrites or just can't decide if they want to cancel someones warranty.They can't have it both ways. Sounds like to me they haven't even taken the time to revise their manuals, much less fix their clatter wagons! MOCO's Syn 3 is a group (3) oil, and rated below Mobil 1 V-Twin, Redline and Amsoil, which are rated group (4) and (5), respectully, so who's kidding who here?

Old 08-24-2007, 12:48 AM
genedjr
Road Captain

This is simple.
Remember the dealers are independent, certified, representives of the moco. In common, the moco is not responsible for them outside the certification process. (This is VERY complicated).

Ifa dealer installed a part on a new bike - reguardless of what is was - that particular dealeris providing warrenty.
Don't confuse that with general warranty provided by moco.
[aside - KILL ALL LAWYERS]
Just because a dealer will warrent a part does not mean others will.

remember "50 state legal" and Harley wide warranty.

Buy it - ride the [explitive deleted] out if it - fix what brakes.
...gene

Old 12-11-2007, 03:09 PM
MosesJJN
Cruiser

Does anyone know Harley's official policy?If I have my HD Dealer do my oil changes and services, can I specify they use oil of my choosing?

Bought brand new '07 1200 asked saleslifeform ifHD does the oil changes at the service intervals can I request RedLine or AMSOIL? He would not answer yes or no.

Instead I got asong and dance"other synthetics" clog up the sensors in the engine/tranny such as the sensor that detects what gear you are in and so on. Then he said if you use a particular brand for years and switch it could cause leaks so you gotta stick with one brand for life. Saidit's sometime hard to find places that sell thoseother oils in a pinch.Thensaid the gaskets get used to a certain brand andswitching after a couple of years will causegasket deterioration.

Again: Anyone know HD's OFFICIAL policy? Can I tell HD shop to use oil of my choosing or not.

Most folks on this forum seem to recommendAMSOIL for crank and tranny.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:39 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: MosesJJN

Does anyone know Harley's official policy?If I have my HD Dealer do my oil changes and services, can I specify they use oil of my choosing?

Bought brand new '07 1200 asked saleslifeform ifHD does the oil changes at the service intervals can I request RedLine or AMSOIL? He would not answer yes or no.

Instead I got asong and dance"other synthetics" clog up the sensors in the engine/tranny such as the sensor that detects what gear you are in and so on. Then he said if you use a particular brand for years and switch it could cause leaks so you gotta stick with one brand for life. Saidit's sometime hard to find places that sell thoseother oils in a pinch.Thensaid the gaskets get used to a certain brand andswitching after a couple of years will causegasket deterioration.

Again: Anyone know HD's OFFICIAL policy? Can I tell HD shop to use oil of my choosing or not.

Most folks on this forum seem to recommendAMSOIL for crank and tranny.
The HD official "policy" is to use their lubes only. That said there are better lubricants for the same $$. The switching brand and sensor cloggingtheory is 100% horsehockey. But most on here use Mobil1 (Vtwin 20w50 or 15w50) Amsoil 20w50 or Redline 20w50 or 20w60 with excellent results. My $.02 says let the dealer do the 1000 mile service then buy a service manual and do the rest of them yourself. FWIW, I use Mobil1Vtwin 20w50 in the engine, Redline Shockproof Heavy in the trans and Redline MTL in the primary. No issues.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. The mechanics at my HD dealer use Mobil1Vtwin 20w50 in their bikes.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:26 AM
Vinny133
Cruiser

Would anyone out there know what the warranty laws are like in Canada? Is there a Canadian version of Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act?