Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Dealer Said Warranty Void

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 02:04 PM
scubabike420
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dealer Said Warranty Void

The flagged '07s sounds more like a scheme made up by the corp. lawyers than the bean counters.

"Why yes EPA. We are aware that many of our bikes are modified after purchase which makes them no longer comply with EPA regulations, but we are doing everything we can to control the problem. Here's a list of vin numbers we have flagged. Our dealers are independantly owned so we don't control their service work, but as a corporation we will not support the circumventing of EPA regulations by covering warranty items on these bikes."

Old 08-03-2007, 04:55 PM
NorCalDyna
Cruiser

What I don't understand is WHY a dealership would want to "void" your warranty. Do they not get paid by the MOCO when they perform warranty repairs? Are they monetarily incentivized to deny the warranty claim? I can understand why the MOCO itself would want to void a warranty, but I'm having a hard time figuring what advantage it gives the privately owned dealership to claim the warranty is void. Is it that the labor rate they charge the individual customer is higher than what the MOCO will pay them? Seems strange to me.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:34 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: NorCalDyna

What I don't understand is WHY a dealership would want to "void" your warranty. Do they not get paid by the MOCO when they perform warranty repairs? Are they monetarily incentivized to deny the warranty claim? I can understand why the MOCO itself would want to void a warranty, but I'm having a hard time figuring what advantage it gives the privately owned dealership to claim the warranty is void. Is it that the labor rate they charge the individual customer is higher than what the MOCO will pay them? Seems strange to me.
It seems that every time we hear about the warranty void issue it's becausethe customertook incentive and started doing his/hers own work/maintenance and maybe buying pieces/parts/oils of better quality than HD crap, thus costing the dealer money that he would otherwise make from the customer. So since the dealer isn't getting the work or the money from the customer anyway, he doesn't mind gettingthe customersbike VIN and warranty flagged by MOCO. Also, with warranty work the dealers have a set labor rateand number of man hours that they are allowed to charge for the job, which is mostlylower than what the dealer would generally charge an individual customer. Kinda like our Medicare system, doctors can no longer charge the feds anything they want to for health care, there is a standard fee they can charge for a particular treatment, that's why most medical institutions don't like Medicare and many won't even take Medicare anymore. We had a clinic in our town charging the customer as well as the feds for the same treatment, i.e. double billing, which has been done by HD dealers, as well. Also, it takes longer for the dealersto get their money for warranty work than it does straight from the customer. That's why when the customers bike is under warranty there's always some sort of effort to get the work done by the dealerunder warranty, they'll always side with MOCO, example; I don't hear anything, that clatter noise sounds normal to me, they all do it - Now after thewarranty has expired; oh yes that's a bad clatter and vibration, we need to rebuild the engine/tranny, that's not normal for that to be that way. Suddenly and miraculously they have got their hearing back and they're not numb from the forehead down anymore, after the warranty expires.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:21 PM
fxrp
Cruiser

> We are aware that many of our bikes are modified after purchase which makes them no
> longer comply with EPA regulations, . . .

Actually how would they make that claim in a state that doesn't test for emissions? I would argue thattheyhave no foundation to claim the bikeatissue wasn't EPA compliant. As a matter of fact the new PCIII is CARB compliant which is more strict than EPA.

Hmmm, lets see Power Commander can make your bike run better and in particular cooler and still fall within CARB emissions. Maybe the MoCo should hire some of the Power Comander programmers?

Old 08-03-2007, 08:14 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All comes down to dollars. Dealers only get paid from the MoCo per a set rate schedule.Thus, dealers don't like warranty work. This is not just a MoCo delimia. All their claims to "void" warrnaty are just attempts to "buy MoCo". IMO, best thing the MoCo could do is relax their "void stance" - and build up their customer satisfaction. Now you've got me started - I really think many of the service problems are also related to sub-standard service (e.g. had a rear tire changed - got it home, had 25psi in the tire and the drive belt had like over an inch of play, I can go on and on - in my case, had my bike in the shop like 16 times in two years - half were repeat problems). Now, on their side, there are great mechanics, problem is they are few and far between (again, dealer more concerned with profit than training their techs). If the MoCo doesn't shape up here soon, they will regret it - just how much longer will their customers put up with it?

Old 08-03-2007, 09:39 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: fxrp

> We are aware that many of our bikes are modified after purchase which makes them no
> longer comply with EPA regulations, . . .

Actually how would they make that claim in a state that doesn't test for emissions? I would argue thattheyhave no foundation to claim the bikeatissue wasn't EPA compliant. As a matter of fact the new PCIII is CARB compliant which is more strict than EPA.

Hmmm, lets see Power Commander can make your bike run better and in particular cooler and still fall within CARB emissions. Maybe the MoCo should hire some of the Power Comander programmers?
Installed the PC III on my 07 Ultra Clatter, and for the first time since purchasing the bike newit performs like it should perform, i.e. No burning legs, No enginesurging, both cylinders have equal combustion (both plugs coffee creamer brown), better throttle response, and to top it off consistent 50 MPG gas mileage. With exception of the clatter the bike is almost enjoyableto ride now.I'll take the improvements over MOCO's so called warranty any day, and I'd almost bet with the PC III installed the bike would pass emission test. The warrantyhas been useless for me anyhow, the dealers and MOCO have denied every thing I've turned in, from the smallest to the largest,since owning the bike. If I were to ever buy another bike I will enquirer about buying one with NO warranty, and see if cost less, if the savings is substantial, I'll go that route. With the repair manual I have there's nothing on this bike I can't repair,as well asdoa better job than MOCO's Jiffy-Lube Monkeys. Don't get me started on the scratches the steelers have put on my bikeor the fittings they've left loose.Fosters HDin Tuscombia, Alabama, even left the oil plug on my buddies bike loose, and it came out just after he left the steelers shop, what a mess. If one looks close there is always some type of damage done to their bikeby most dealers, while servicing. Foster HD willat least leave greasy finger prints on your bike when they get done with it.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:21 AM
jandlcars
Extreme HDF Member

Whell since i started this Warranty Voided 1Aftermarket Foot Pegs 2 SE II 3 Power Comander 4 A Letter From Amsoil They knew whare it came from they said Service Manager has called me a pain in the ___ since they fixed a flat tire and i had a blowout right afterwards they pinched the tube
i called the service manager on his remark ( he is trying to **** me off) phone call went bad and i was thrown out because i was hostile
this was afrer brake pedal and foot rest bolt broke and i almost dumped
MOCO ? Pensacola HD is a not good place to deal with especialy when you complain about First out 6sp clatter bike is worthless will not trade in it makes noise in 5th
They would not even Document Noise problem they do not here it ????? until try to trade in this is going nowhare

Old 08-16-2007, 02:48 PM
pauletich
Road Master

Great comments, lets keep everyone posted. I will talk to my dealer this weekend and let you know what he says.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:38 PM
pauletich
Road Master

Talk to the dealer today, He said its best to stick with HD oil due to it formulated for the HD bikes. You will have less trouble getting HD to fix things if you used HD products.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:36 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: pauletich

Talk to the dealer today, He said its best to stick with HD oil due to it formulated for the HD bikes. You will have less trouble getting HD to fix things if you used HD products.
That's the answer I would expect from any stealer. Mobile 1 V-Twin says the same thing about their oil for the HD's. If MOCO's oil is so good and formulated for their bikes, then why is it when I used the Syn 3 in my Ultra Clatter the engine and drive train was noisier, especially my lifters, which hammered awayuntil I switched to Mobil 1 V-Twin, and right away a big difference, NO lifter clatter, drive train was quieter and heat was less as well? Beside, every one knows MOCO goes for the lowest bidder when it comes to their motor oils, other words MOCO doesn't make their oil. If I listen to MOCO and their stealer's about using their pieces/parts I'd still be riding an overheating, vibrating, lifter hammering, clatter wagon. If I wereMOCOI wouldn't want my bikes to last forever, I'd want them to wear-out so people would buy more. However, If I were an oil company (Mobil) I'd want my oil/s to make engines/tranny's last longer, so people would buy my oil. If MOCO and their dealer's are so set on people using their products (Must Use HD Products Or Warranty Void) then let MOCO put it in writing as such. It's time for MOCO to put-up or shut-up!

Quick Reply: Dealer Said Warranty Void