Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Dealer Said Warranty Void

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 05:12 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dealer Said Warranty Void

Actually, dealer builds usually specifically state that it is only warrented by THE
DEALER who built it.

Look at it like this. If you bought say, a new Mustang, then had your Ford dealer build it up with parts and ignition curves that were specifically designed for "Race Only" applications and blew the engine up going to the local 7-11 for chips and velveeta, do you actually believe Ford would fix the thing under your new car warranty? Read the actual warranty. Parts that MEET OR EXCEED THOSE SPECIFIED by the manufacturer. That, IMHO, does NOT INCLUDE parts that are labelled as "race only" or not street legal. I understand and sympathize with your opinion, believeme. I also have seen consumers screwed by "technicalities" in the law. It can work both ways too. Consumer active states like Maryland often make WRONGlegal decisions in favor of consumers BUT other states and the Feds frequently side with big business. The actual wording of the law, often, means little in a final disposition.

Indignation is valid but the end result is, usually, expense and frustration for the owner. JMHO after many years of dealing with this crap.

In the 100HP example you cite, even I think it is unreasonable for an owner to think his reliability will be the same with the added stress on the drivetrain the addittional HP will surely bring about. Everything from the gears to the tires and drive belt will be exposed to at least twenty five percent more stress due to the heavier loads. NO warranty will allow this, IMHO.

If you build up an engine, be aware you are costing yourself reliability roughly in ratio to the power gains. Just common sense, IMHO. They engineer parts based on anticipated loads, not post manufacturing increases in power specs.

EZ

Old 08-01-2007, 05:40 PM
fxrp
Cruiser

Well I don't agree that the dealers are carrying the warranty for two years. The dealer warranties workmanship and the MoCo warrantiesparts.

And once again, if you do stage 2 with heads and the whole 9 yards and the front brake, or the rear wheel bearing, or the oil pump, or the stator, or the clutch, or the transmision, fails. The warranty is still in effect. They could try to arguea transmission/clutch failure was caused by the extra torque but if they are installing like components and not upgrading the transmision/clutch as part of their kits, they are implying the parts are compatable andtheir arguments are invalid.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:57 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

Apparently, MOCO's recent position of installing aftermarket parts on the 07'sis thatthey do no conform to their OEM parts, thus they are trying to revoke or at least lesson the warranty. The aftermarket parts I installed on my 07 clatter wagon were purchased at the advice of the HD dealer/service manager, from the dealer. After I installed the parts, I was contacted by MOCO stating they had photos of my bike with the after market parts installed, and therefore for this reason my bikes VIN and warranty were flagged. When I talked personally to one of MOCO's gophers, he said they were checking other owners07 bikes as well for alterations. That tells me they're going for the throat, by looking forways to getout of the warranty with these 07's.First of all, I have done nothing to hurt my bike, in fact the bike now runs at a tolerable temperature, (no burning legs), the engine no longer surges, both cylinders are puring equal, (both spark plugs coffee brown) and I'm getting 50 MPG gas mileage. If MOCO was interested in their customers, they'd know that those findings are where the bike should be, mechanical wise.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Chief101
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Photos?????? Good grief. Who did the install by the way?

Old 08-01-2007, 06:24 PM
fxrp
Cruiser

RM,

I'm sorry but the MoCo and the dealers are FOS. They recommend and install aftermarket parts and then try to deny warranty coverage for whether for their poor workmanship or non causal failures.

The Waranty Act allows recovery of court costs and atorneys fees. The way I see it if the FoMoCo continues on their present course a class action suit is iminent and I think they will be paying out a lot of money.

If the MoCo doesn't wake up they'll be back in the same situation they were back in the mid 80s.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:30 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: coolrays615

Photos?????? Good grief. Who did the install by the way?
I always do my own maintenance, as well as general upgrades, none of which takes a rocket scientist to do, as MOCO would have you and the courts tobelieve. Most general maintenance on these v-twinsis pretty fundamental, and with the help of a service manual, and some decent tools, most people can save some cash by doing a lot things themselves. The manual itself is pretty much paint by numbers, so to speak. So anyone wanting to ween there self from MOCO and their cutthroat stealer's, I recommend getting the service manual for their particular bike and at least learning the basics of bike maintenance. You'll not only save yourself a ton of money, by NOT supporting the stealer's, but you'll feel good knowing the work was done by yourself,and done right. Think of it, NO more scratches onyour bike, NO bolts and nuts leftloose, and if you go step-by-step with the maintenance schedule, you'll know everything was checked, and double checked, which the stealer's rarely ever do they just charge us $200.00+ for an oil change. My buddy just had his 10,000 mile maintenance done at Fosters HD, Tuscombia, Alabama, and came home with a scratch in his fender. Two years ago the same dealer left his oil plug loose and it came out while he was traveling down the road. I myself have had several things messed up on my Ultra Clatter from them as well. You want the work done right, learn to do it your self and it'll get done right.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:55 AM
fxrp
Cruiser

EZ said:

"The narrow band , closed loop FI system was started to appease the EPA and altering it COULD place you on shaky ground since it is no longer, technically, STREET LEGAL."

I got to thinking about this. On a single case basis you may be right especially if you get unlucky and draw some tree huggin' idiot for a judge.

But perception cuts both ways in court and if the MoCo is trying to deny a bearing for non-HD oil and other obvious abuses you can begin to show a pattern of fraud in their warranty coverage. And then there non relevant arguments about emissions compliance start to fall on deaf ears.

There is a man in Cheyenne, WY with a 2007 SE Ultra for which he paid $36k. It comes with all kinds of factory installed crap like heated hand grips. Well his heated hand grips failed and Milwaukee refused to warranty the failure. They give no reason all they say is "we won't warranty them," now I'm sory but they are factory installed and listed as an OEM part so their 2 yr warranty has to cover them. This obvious pattern of abuse is why aclass suit would be the MoCo's worst nightmare.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:10 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: fxrp

EZ said:

"The narrow band , closed loop FI system was started to appease the EPA and altering it COULD place you on shaky ground since it is no longer, technically, STREET LEGAL."

I got to thinking about this. On a single case basis you may be right especially if you get unlucky and draw some tree huggin' idiot for a judge.

But perception cuts both ways in court and if the MoCo is trying to deny a bearing for non-HD oil and other obvious abuses you can begin to show a pattern of fraud in their warranty coverage. And then there non relevant arguments about emissions compliance start to fall on deaf ears.

There is a man in Cheyenne, WY with a 2007 SE Ultra for which he paid $36k. It comes with all kinds of factory installed crap like heated hand grips. Well his heated hand grips failed and Milwaukee refused to warranty the failure. They give no reason all they say is "we won't warranty them," now I'm sory but they are factory installed and listed as an OEM part so their 2 yr warranty has to cover them. This obvious pattern of abuse is why aclass suit would be the MoCo's worst nightmare.
Basically the same resonse from MOCO when the powder coating started peeling from my aft cylinder head of my 07 Clatter wagon, MOCO denied warranty and gave NO explanation why, just said they weren't going to warranty the repair. The person I talked to at MOCO said that warranty is always at their discretion as to if they feel the item claimed is defective or not. I've come to realize that there really isn't any worthy warranty on the HD bikes, especially the 07's. What I don't understand is the stealer's will also do anything to weasel out of the warranty as well.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:49 PM
grasman
Cruiser

Just had my 1000 mile service done and used amsoil for the first time. The local independent shop that did my service uses it exclusively. On the outside of the case it clearly states...recommended for harley davidson/buell motorcycles. Now I'm no lawyer, but I would have to think that they (amsoil)are pretty damn confident of their products to put that on their cases of oil. Otherwise they would be having lawsuits left and right if the product wasn't as good as OEM products.

JMHO

Old 08-02-2007, 03:16 PM
fxrp
Cruiser

RM,

The MoCo is technically correct, they can deny warranty coverage. But it is not at "their discretion," the warranty act provides judicial oversight of their decisions. Basically a warranty, written or inplied, is a contract and enforcement of that contract is regulated by the Federal Trade Commission.

I gave some advice about warantydenial (especially while traveling) on another forum. If I have a breakown and the dealership/MoCo denied coverage I would pay for the repair with a credit card and get the bike back. I would then call my credit card company andrefuse the charges, you'll have to put it in writing but they'll take the initial refusal over the phone. From there we would move through the FTC complaint process and into district court as necessary and with a little luck we could talk a federaldistrict court to open a class action suit against HD Inc.

Quick Reply: Dealer Said Warranty Void