Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Dealer Said Warranty Void

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 02:01 AM
edgerider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dealer Said Warranty Void

Went to the dealer today coming up on my 1000 mi. service - says emphatically that if I use anything but HD Syn3 and other HD lubricants, my warranty may be voided - felt intimidated. I'm calling HD Customer Servce tomorrow and let them know what a crock this is... try to get in writning that my warranty will be in place using fluids that meet or beat their specs. I want to put Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50 in engine and mobile synthetic gear oil 75w-90 in the tranny and use the HD formula+ in the primary - WTF, the mobil product meets and/or beats the HD product and the dealer says I'm potentially screwed... I'm pretty psissed and willing to be the David half of Golliath on this one. Does anyone have first hand experience taking on the HD giant? And a letter that unsrews 'em from HD management should they choose to show some *****

[IMG]local://upfiles/31682/D4330D5C6AE6459298E2D0D5AE095239.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-30-2007, 09:54 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

LOL, get him to write it down, change your fluids THEN show him the law and how it has to be FREE!

Unbelievable these bastids get away with this!!!!!!!!!!!!

EZ

Old 05-30-2007, 03:48 PM
scott4911
Cruiser

It's gotten so bad at the shop I work at, we had to post the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Old 07-27-2007, 02:55 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

SYN 3 is a group 3 oil, Amsoil is group 5 which is rated the highest as well as the best of the two. Mobil 1 is group 4 still rated better than Syn 3. Tell MOCO and their squealers to put that in their pipe and smoke it. Anything for a buck is MOCO's Motto.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:20 AM
genedjr
Road Captain

When stealer does this, you have two interesting (note: interesting) options:

Option 1: bring a witness. Anyone not related to you. That way when you deliver the lawyer paper indicating that the stealer is using false statements in regard to warranty and you intend to sue, you'll have backup. Yes IT’S ILLEAGAL TO PROVIDE FALSE WARRANTY INFORMATION. It does not matter if the information is they will or wont provide warranty coverage. It does not matter if its an omission or an error because of lack of knowledge. IT’S STILL ILLEGAL. Think "lemon law".

Option 2: Laugh, beg them to put that in writing. Then in your lawsuit, also name Harley corporate (they certify the stealer for warranty purposes).

We need a few well publicized lawsuits to fix this stupid issue.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:27 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rmsurveyors

SYN 3 is a group 3 oil, Amsoil is group 5 which is rated the highest as well as the best of the two. Mobil 1 is group 4 still rated better than Syn 3. Tell MOCO and their squealers to put that in their pipe and smoke it. Anything for a buck is MOCO's Motto.
Sorry to be picky, but I believe that you may find that Amsoil is a group IV synthetic. The only widely available group V synthetic I know of is RedLine.

WB

Old 07-30-2007, 07:52 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

Wild Bill is right. Group V synthetics are the most expensive using high quality esthers. Amsoil, however, IS good stuff, certainly better than the Venezuelan stuff HD is selling.

EZ

Old 07-30-2007, 01:29 PM
gdkenoyer
Tourer

ORIGINAL: WildBill2566

Sorry to be picky, but I believe that you may find that Amsoil is a group IV synthetic [vs. a group 5. gdk].

WB
I'll second that. In another forum the AMSOIL rep mentions that AMSOIL buys 'some' of it's PAO stock from EXXON/Mobil.

That link is here, if the mods will allow a link to another forum (and if not, please delete this sentance!).

Old 07-30-2007, 01:35 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

I think the whole point here is that Amsoil is rated higher than SYN 3 regardless of where higher, it's still better quality than HD, Mighty Mart oil.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:08 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

This is a bunch BULLSH$%.... I bought my bike from a shop north of Melbourne, Florida. They basically told me if I had anyone do my 1000 mile service other than HD, it would "definitely" void my warranty. They told me I had to use only HD approved parts. Not HD parts only, but only HD approved parts, and they had to be installed by a HD dealer/service department.

The list of parts I had added by my own mechanic is listed in my sig. I would love them to try and void my warrant on this. I probably could get my HD paid off. I wouldn't have to worry about the payments anymore.

Quick Reply: Dealer Said Warranty Void