Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Dealer Said Warranty Void

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:23 PM
HARLEYFLSTSITIM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dealer Said Warranty Void

Read this and there is also a letter from harley stating that other oils are fine. I'm still searching and will post when located.

WARRANTY ISSUES
A major concern many riders have had pertains to the warranty issue. Harley Davidson has created the impression that if you are a rider who uses any oil besides Harley-Davidson oil, you will void your warranty. Many motorcycle shops believe this to be the case, although the writer of the November Harley-Davidson article indicates that "in a pinch Harley-Davidson recommends that a rider use one of the API C category oils as a substitute for Harley-Davidson 360." Nevertheless, the impression is out there that the warranty will be voided if you use another product, and since the bike has cost a good chunk of change, no one really wants to gamble with that much money on the table. Fortunately, there is a law called the Magnusson-Moss Act that says, in layman’s terms, an OEM cannot require a consumer to use an OEM part or fluid in order to maintain warranty coverage unless that part or fluid is provided free of charge.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:27 PM
HARLEYFLSTSITIM
Cruiser

Harley-Davidson Motor Company
3700 West Juneau Ave.,
P.O. Box 653, Milwaukee, WI 53201
414/342-4680

January 31, 2003
Aaron Scanlon
AMSOIL Building
Superior, WI 54880

Dear Mr. Scanlon:

Thank you for your recent letter requesting information on Harley-Davidson's one-year, unlimited mileage warranty when Synthetic Lubricants are used.
Until now, the Motor Company has never supported the use of synthetic products in our vehicles because there had never been any test validations completed on the numerous formulations in HD/Buell motorcycles to determine the viability of using these products on Harley-Davidson products until now.
We have developed a specially formulated synthetic fluid called SYN3. This fluid can be used in Harley-Davidson engines, transmissions and primary chaincases. This product had been exclusively designed for Harley-Davidson and is the only synthetic product tested and certified by Harley-Davidson engineering for use on HD/Buell motorcycles.
The use of a different brand of fluid does not void the one-year, unlimited mileage warranty unless it can be confirmed that the use of such products was the cause of the failure.
Thank you, Mr. Scanlon, for taking the time to write to Harley-Davidson and allowing me to answer your questions.
Sincerely,

Lisa Sagen
Powertrain Customer Service

Old 04-03-2007, 10:12 PM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Great point on the low bidder comment. Hadn't though about it that way. I use synthetic anyway but it's a riot what you'll be told.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:17 PM
bear95252
Cruiser

I received an email from AMSOIL Tech Support today with a letter attached that was sent to Pensacola Harley Davidson. If any one would like a copy I will send it to you if you email me. It is identical to what I posted above only with the appropriate names and addresses inserted where they belong.

skylane19641@mac.com

Bear
AMSOIL Dealer

Old 04-03-2007, 11:56 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry....but bearings do not fail from advanced superior group IV synthetic lubricants like amsoil....ever. The warranty BS the stealer is giving you is simply NOT TRUE.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:15 PM
scott4911
Cruiser

BTTT..

Anything new???

Old 04-06-2007, 09:37 PM
jandlcars
Extreme HDF Member

Not Yet still have amsoil in it just waiting to se if they change there mind information just got out

Old 04-07-2007, 09:59 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: jandlcars

06 Dyna Wide Glde 7000 mi
Inner Primary Berring Went Out said that trans oil may have caused
Sounds like they dont no why.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:09 PM
dhc8guru
Tourer

You know in my 2007 harley sportster manual, they recommend HD oil and if that is not available, a quality diesel engine oil is to be used as a substitute. there is no mention of warranty being voided if you don't use HD oil.IfHDfinds engine failuresonly showing up in engines running Amsoil, they wouldissue a notification to HD owners bringingit to there attention and undoubtedly informing them of warranty being voided if you use amsoil in your bike.
I guarantee you if you submitted what your dealer told you to Harley, they would have a talk with that person.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:02 PM
scott4911
Cruiser

I really want to hear what Harley has to say about this..

Quick Reply: Dealer Said Warranty Void