Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 08:40 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil Filters

Last night, I went to the local HD shop for my weekly ***-reaming. Not to disappoint, I paid $13 for a flipping oil filter.

(Nope, no kiss).

This is truly outrageous. This is also the last time I will pay this kind of money for a product which I believe to be no better than many other filters out there, based on research of many others.

So, here goes. Let me begin by saying that I started my search with this thread by Pococj (thanks, Skip). Skips list of oil filters and manufacturers

This list is good, but not good enough. When I went to Wix home page, they don't tell you what part number you need, in fact, Harley Davidson is listed under "Off Highway Equipment" and then you only have one more choice "Golf Carts" It only got worse from there...

I did find a good cross reference list, and I will sum it up for you, and try to give a complete explanation of each as well as prices. Harley be damned on this one!

Here is a list of the filters made that will fit the following model/years:

XL Sportster 1984-2003
Evo 80" 1984-1999
FX (All Models) 1983-1987
88" 1999-2005

** NOTE: These might work for '06, not sure, so some one let me know, I'll update this post.

Purolator PL10241 / PL20064
Mobil1 M1-102
Bosch 3330
AMSOil SMF 133/134/135
Baldwin B1413
Fram PH6022, PH6065A
Hastings LF576
NAPA 1348
WIX 51348

Now, here is what I was able to learn about each of them, by searching through other pages, links, and threads from this forum. Some of the filters are not the EXACT same model listed above, I wasn't able to find the information on all exact models, however, I believe the information found to be indicative of what you can expect to find from that manufacturer. (Mac's disclaimer)

Purolator PL10241 / PL20064

About $6 most local autostores or check

This filter uses a square gasket like some others in this list, but unlike any others, it does not use metal crimps to hold the gasket in place. The gasket has small ***** around the inside that loosely grip the mount. The filter element mates at the front with a rubber seal, and has an integral bypass valve that is rubber sealed at the back. Like the NAPA/WIX filter, this filter uses a much narrower element than most. In addition, it has many more pleats than any other.

Mobile1 M1-102

ABout $12 at decent auto stores.

This is a well-constructed filter, which Mobil 1 touts as having 98% single-pass particle filtration at 10 to 20 microns, and multiple-pass efficiency of 95% (vs. 80% for the average filter). I cannot verify these figures, but Mobil 1 at least gives them to you.

In terms of construction, the filter has some notable features, such as a rubber-sealed bypass valve. The only slight concern I have is the significant amount of adhesive holding it together. The shadow at the lower right of the filter is not a shadow at all; it is black adhesive. Adhesive was also found smeared on top of the endcaps. The adhesive had not run as far down the filter as the Dennis Kirk unit, therefore I would contend that these are merely blemishes and quality control is still worthy of recommendation.

Bosch 3330

Still looking

Amsoil SMF 133/134/135

The Amsoil filter internally looks very similar to the Wix filter, but they are not the same. Semi-O ring gasket, well cut threads with no apparent burrs.

Baldwin B1413

Still looking

Old 08-30-2005, 09:19 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Oil Filters

Hey Mac

Come down and pay me a visit in the oil section some time, I'd like to show you a few comparisons on oil filters

Old 08-31-2005, 10:56 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

Bill,

I went through the section, I didn't see what I needed...so I spend a LOT of time working on this one...give me the links of the threads you're talking about, I'll look at them. In the meantime, I'll look down there some more...

Mac

Old 08-31-2005, 11:17 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

Bill,

Just got back from there...for whatever reason, that thread didn't come up yesterday at work...WEIRD.

Anyway, maybe we can combine these two...

Mac

Old 08-31-2005, 12:00 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

Mac

I added that link to the existing post, thanks

https://www.hdforums.com/m_68181/tm.htm

Old 08-31-2005, 01:47 PM
RKJ
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last night, I went to the local HD shop for my weekly ***-reaming. Not to disappoint, I paid $13 for a flipping oil filter.

(Nope, no kiss).

Mac, The guy who sold you that filter must have been a Sailor, You know how we treat the marines. But thanks for all the info and the hard work. Joe RMC(SW/AW)

Old 08-31-2005, 02:19 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

Hey Mac and Bill here is another good link:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html

Also, a lot (more than several??) old HD riders around here use the long filter which is typically for the earlier Dyna's (WIX 51214, Purolator ML36830, HD63813-90 etc.) and some others are ranting about how great the Purolator PureONE filter (PL20195) is and how it beat every other filter in all the SAE categories (Filter Surface Area, Capacity, Multiple Pass Efficiency, Single Pass Efficiency). As this was not specifically designed for motorcyles (although it does have a anti-drain back valve), I am sticking with WIX 51214...

Any opinions on these filters?

Old 08-31-2005, 03:04 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

Thanks David

I added that one too

I like to stick with the HD filters. ( I bring my own vasoline) There specked to the demand for the engines and although others may be close or even on the money, I don't take unnecessary chances in this area. JMHO

Old 08-31-2005, 09:20 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: TxMoores

Hey Mac and Bill here is another good link:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html

Also, a lot (more than several??) old HD riders around here use the long filter which is typically for the earlier Dyna's (WIX 51214, Purolator ML36830, HD63813-90 etc.) and some others are ranting about how great the Purolator PureONE filter (PL20195) is and how it beat every other filter in all the SAE categories (Filter Surface Area, Capacity, Multiple Pass Efficiency, Single Pass Efficiency). As this was not specifically designed for motorcyles (although it does have a anti-drain back valve), I am sticking with WIX 51214...

Any opinions on these filters?
Hey Mac, just go to a parts store that sells Wix, or a NAPA store, and tell 'em what you have. They'll come up with the right filter. Evo 80" NAPA is 1215; Wix number will be similar, probably 51215.

Purolator filters are top grade. The only thing you have to worry about as far as being designed for a muttersickle is the pressure where the filter goes into bypass. And since Twinkie motors use 10 micron full flow filters, they are probably in bypass most of the time, according to Donnie Peterson of Heavy Duty Cycles.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:27 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

Skip, I received my Total Performance Engineering Smart Pump in yesterday and plan on installing it as soon as I get some "SAE J1019 3/8" 400psi WP Hose and Clamps"... What do you think? Should I stick with the 40 micron or go down to the 10 micron filter?
The only bad part is the pump comes in a high polished aluminum....

http://www.tpengineering.com/smartpump.php

Quick Reply: Oil Filters