Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

10K Amsoil Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 09:13 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 10K Amsoil Oil Change

Everyone seems to think that Amsoil is the best way to go. Ok then, for those who do use it, do you go 10k miles or 1 year between changes which is twice the MoCo recommendations? Do you run the oil filter the same distance?

I have also looked at the preferred customer deal that they offer. Their price per quart drops if you buy into the program. That is a good savings. Do they make the discount back on shipping charges? What do they charge for shipping? Is it worth it?

Old 03-15-2007, 10:33 PM
bear95252
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 10K Amsoil Oil Change

I use AMSOIL products in all my rolling stock. The four wheelers are on a annual oil and filter change. 25K or 12 months, which ever comes first. The Harley us on the same schedule however, I rarely put 10K on it in a year. The difference between AMSOIL and all the others is that AMSOIL GUARANTEES their opil for that time or mileage. The guarante states that should you have an engine failure caused by the lubricant, they will buy your engine.
As for shipping, AMSOIL makes nothing on the shipping. They ship by UPS using their rates and it goes by the weight. Contact UPS for their rates. Some companies add the shipping to the retail price and tell you that shipping is free. Others will tell you the retail price "plus S&H. Eithere way, YOU will pay the shipping.
If you use more than $100.00 worth of AMSOIL products annually then the Prefered Customer program will save you a lot of money. That, coupeled with the fact that you are going to an annual oil change program makes it a good deal. If you have a dealer, ask him to set you up as a Prefered Customer. If you do not have a dealer, email me and I will help you with it.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:50 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

IMHO, you should change your oil at least every six months OR 5K. Because contaminants are in your oil the time is probably as important as the miles, in fact, infrequently ridden bikes probably ought to change more often, not less.

IF you go by milage, most of the wisdom I've seen says to change the filter EVEN if you let the oil go over manufacturers recommendations (Harley's, not Amsoils)

Oil is cheap insurance and, I think, its being penny wise and dollar foolish to skimp there. Don't really know what Amsoil's guarantee is like BUT I do know Quaker State used to sell extended warranties for cars that used their oils. They were'nt worth the paper they were printed on and claims were almost always greeted with a "item not covered".

Oil gets watered down, physically over time. I know there are those who will disagree but I'd rather change really cheap dino frequently than run the best syn in the world for too long. Just me.

EZ[sm=badidea.gif]

Old 03-16-2007, 01:15 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

From what I understand Amsoil really does stand behind their warranty but you have to use their filters and follow the instructions for filter changes. Me personally......I'll never go past 5000 miles on any oil in my bike. 3 quarts of synthetic oil & filter costs $35. A new TC 88 costs over $3,000.

Just do the math on that.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:37 AM
bear95252
Cruiser

IMHO, you should change your oil at least every six months OR 5K. Because contaminants are in your oil the time is probably as important as the miles, in fact, infrequently ridden bikes probably ought to change more often, not less.
Basically what you are saying is true however the TBN (Total base Number) of the oil has a lot to do with it. TBN represents the ability of the additive package to neutralize the Acids, water, etc. in the oil. AMSOIL has a TBN of 12 which is the highest number available. Lots of folks change more frequently but it is a waste of time, money and oil when using a product like AMSOIL. However, if you feel the need to change the oil, by all means do it.

IF you go by milage, most of the wisdom I've seen says to change the filter EVEN if you let the oil go over manufacturers recommendations (Harley's, not Amsoils)

Here is where I respectfully disagree. Recent advancements in Filter technology brought about by the war in the desert has produced a filter that is good for the same period of time as the oil. Presently, AMSOIL is the only company that offers the filter technology to the public. It is called Nano Fiber Technology and the filters are 98.7% efficient @ 15 microns. We didn’t have cell phones 30 years ago and the wisdom back then said it was doubtfull we ever would.

Oil is cheap insurance and, I think, its being penny wise and dollar foolish to skimp there. Don't really know what Amsoil's guarantee is like BUT I do know Quaker State used to sell extended warranties for cars that used their oils. They were'nt worth the paper they were printed on and claims were almost always greeted with a "item not covered".

I agree here. Oil is cheap insurance and it is never a good idea to skimp on oil. It is the life blood of the engine. You can either use a dino oil and change more often or use a quality syn and change less often. I guess it depends on the individual and how stuck in the old school rut they are.
You are also correct on the fact that you do not know anything about the AMSOIL guarantee. To indirectly imply that it is like the Quaker State farce by talking about it in the same breath is grossly unfair as they in know way resemble each other. AMSOIL has guaranteed their oils since 1972 unconditionally. If the failure you experience is caused by their oil they will buy you a new engine. PERIOD.

Oil gets watered down, physically over time. I know there are those who will disagree but I'd rather change really cheap dino frequently than run the best syn in the world for too long. Just me.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:17 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

"I guess it depends on the individual and how stuck in the old school rut they are."

LOL, ya got me there! Then again, if you're NOT, why ride a Harley when you could have a Yamahondazuki and be right up to date.[sm=icon_guiness.gif]EZ

BTW, my only point on the warranty is that, since not many people have tested the warranty, would you rather change your oil more frequently or take a chance on collecting with "IF" in the print.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:03 PM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Last 30,000 miles Amsoil oil changes have been between 8 & 10k depending on length of next trip. Used less than 1/3 of a quart on 8400 mile trip last summer. On tear down for 95 build, comp was still very good, & no noticeable wear in engine. Very clean inside.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:42 PM
RjCapp
Road Master

I will still change the oil at 5000 and change the amsoil filter at 10000.