Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Changing oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007 | 04:45 PM
MT
|
Cruiser
Default Changing oil

Can you change from SYN oil back to dino oil if wanted? I'vehave heard that you can switch backand then that you can't so which is it? Have run SYN for the last 7500 and looking at options.

Old 03-14-2007 | 04:48 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Default RE: Changing oil

Not the answer to your question, but why are you switching from syn to dino? Thanks.

Old 03-14-2007 | 04:50 PM
mistermooster
Road Warrior

I've always heard that you'll have a good chance of developing leaks if you switch from syn to dyno. And anyway, why on earth would you want to?

Old 03-14-2007 | 04:59 PM
MT
|
Cruiser

Not going to. I've heard this discussion a few times at work and was wondering what problems would come up if you changed back (actually have someone here who did this recently).

Old 03-14-2007 | 08:35 PM
bear95252
Cruiser

In a modern engine seal comptability is not a problem. Besides IF any leakage where to happen it is normaly going from dino to syn, not the other way around. Syn will clean up gunk encrusted seals in an engine that has been running dino oil for a long time then, if the seal is bad, it will leak. Also Harley motors run hot. Dino oil starts to break down at a llttle over 300 deg. F. Syn is good to over 600 deg F. I have seen oil temps of 270 deg F on my Ultra during the hot summers. A little to close to the point where the dino oil starts to go south for me. In answer to your question, YES you can switch back and forth all things being equal but why in the heck would you want to. The worst syn is better than the best dino oil in my humble opinion.

Chuck
AMSOIL DJ

Old 03-14-2007 | 09:00 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: MT

Not going to. I've heard this discussion a few times at work and was wondering what problems would come up if you changed back (actually have someone here who did this recently).
"MT"

“Not going to. I've heard this discussion a few times at work and was wondering what problems would come up if you changed back (actually have someone here who did this recently).”

What my independent dealer told me he read this article that stated you shouldn’t mix oils brands once you started, seems like the different additives used in different dino oils causes sludge and stuff, I didn’t read it, but he is a pretty honest guy and most important doesn’t sell all that much oil : - )

I will never go back to dino and I won’t try to mix synthetic oil, well the first time, I will run Mobile V Twin for the first time (50 miles) then dump it and the filter,from that time I will run MCV AMSOIL 20-50

cj

Old 03-14-2007 | 09:17 PM
bear95252
Cruiser

That is true. You shouldn't mix oil brands i.e. add a quart of a different brand to what is already in the bike. In other words. Say you are running Harley Dino oil and you are down a quart and you can't get the Harley so you add a quart of another brand of dino oil. That is not a good idea. It won't hurt anything but you should change it as soon as possible. All Dino Oils cause Sludge. Some more than others but they all cause Sludge. I don't believe your dealer steered you wrong.

Ask your dealer to set you up as a Prefered Customer. That way you can buy all the AMSOIL products wholesale.

Old 03-14-2007 | 09:26 PM
mistermooster
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: bear95252
IF any leakage where to happen it is normaly going from dino to syn, not the other way around. Syn will clean up gunk encrusted seals in an engine that has been running dino oil for a long time then, if the seal is bad, it will leak.

Chuck
AMSOIL DJ
Yeah, I knew that. Just a temporary brain fart when I was answering the post. Blame it on premature senility. Well, probably not too premature at that.[sm=smiley24.gif]

Old 03-14-2007 | 09:42 PM
glide
Road Warrior

Dino oil starts to break down at a llttle over 300 deg. F. Syn is good to over 600 deg F. I have seen oil temps of 270 deg F on my Ultra during the hot summers.Chuck
AMSOIL DJ

Old 03-15-2007 | 06:32 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

That is true. You shouldn't mix oil brands i.e. add a quart of a different brand to what is already in the bike. In other words. Say you are running Harley Dino oil and you are down a quart and you can't get the Harley so you add a quart of another brand of dino oil. That is not a good idea. It won't hurt anything but you should change it as soon as possible. All Dino Oils cause Sludge. Some more than others but they all cause Sludge. I don't believe your dealer steered you wrong.

Ask your dealer to set you up as a Prefered Customer. That way you can buy all the AMSOIL products wholesale.
"bear95252 "
"That is true. You shouldn't mix oil brands i.e. add a quart of a different brand to what is already in the bike. In other words. Say you are running Harley Dino oil and you are down a quart and you can't get the Harley so you add a quart of another brand of dino oil. That is not a good idea. It won't hurt anything but you should change it as soon as possible. All Dino Oils cause Sludge. Some more than others but they all cause Sludge. I don't believe your dealer steered you wrong"
I knew he wasn’t bsing me : - ) because it sounds true.
"Ask your dealer to set you up as a Prefered Customer. That way you can buy all the AMSOIL products wholesale."
I should have been clearer when I was talking about my "independent dealer" I meant my M/C dealer, his place sells to all , all makes, you know the kind that were all over the place before all the harley dealer boom : - ) as for the "Preferred Customer" plan, best $20 I spent, less than a week ago, ZO 1486***
Bear, I am changing everything I have over to AMSOIL, Generator, lawnmower, 2 cycle snow blower ! and of course by cage ! I am planning of course using the "Flush" for the car, (not to be used in M/C), I like the idea (since I change my own oil) of changing my oil once a year ! TSO is good for 35,000 miles to 17,500 miles, per year ! (and use a AMSOIL oil filter) I put on approx 20.000 per year, it works out, I like that since I really don’t like changing it, in the middle of winter here in the N.E. outside in my driveway !!!! and the side benny is all the money I will be saving approx 5 regular dino oil changes ! yeah tell me about synthetic high cost : - )))))))
Bear, thanks for the confirmation on the sludge !!
Take care, ride safe
cj