Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

dino to synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:16 AM
JackGib46
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dino to synthetic

Going to change to mobil 1 from dino oil. My question is : Are there any issues with the leftover amount of dino that stays mixing with the synthetic that is put in?

Old 07-23-2013, 09:23 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Should not be an issue. The dino oil will mix with the synthetic oil and will get changed out at your next future oil change.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:54 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

You'll notice a sudden "lightness" in your rear pocket. Not to mention your motor will make more noise then it did before. You'll try to convince yourself "it's better oil" so why not?, then when it comes time to change it again, you want to cry as you watch your hard earned money and "better oil" get mixed with all the other oil in the drain pan.,,

Old 07-23-2013, 11:47 AM
GeorgiaGlide
Cruiser

Nope, no problems.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:02 PM
JackGib46
Intermediate
Default oil

I Have to admit, I am using valvoline 4 stroke v twin dino right now and it was noticeably quieter than the HD oil that was in it before. Does the synthetic really run cooler than dino? BIG CAHUNA, I take it you are not a fan of the synthetics, other than noise and cost any other reasons ? Thanks all for your input..

Old 07-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just me, but running synthetics in harley engines sounds like a harley being run on 7-11 branded 5w30, and yes I heard one run on such oil.

No clue how this equals better protection. I have seen harleys run the same exact engine temp no matter the oil. Engine temp, not oil temp. Psi runs lower, noise is higher, oil passes through the engine so fast it dont have time to grab the heat and take it away from the engine......BAM! Lower oil temps. Oh snap, I gotta run it now, lmao.

On a side note, there is no evidence of one oil or the other hurting, protecting better in rubber to the road reality use. Im sure they do better in a lab under controled conditions where results are easily manufactured. Ive yet to see it on the road.....

Old 07-23-2013, 09:38 PM
breezeair
Intermediate

Ride more, worry less about oil. The guys I ride with that have the most miles on their bikes use Castrol gtx car oil.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:09 AM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I use Mobil1 and it was about $5 a quart less than the Syn3. It was about the same price as HD dino. My rear pocket is happy.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Are there any issues? Emphatically no! They are all oils, designed and blended to meet similar or the same industry specifications. I use synth in one of my bikes, because S&S recommend it in their engine, but my other US V-twins all successfully use good ole dyno.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:25 AM
MysticTraveler
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Not a problem, but if you want to get that residual dirty oil (20+ ounces) out of your system consider a "scavenger" oil change. I use this system http://shop.roguechopper.com/ . There are some homespun ways you can do the same thing. From reading previous posts, I think a lot of people consider this a waste of time. But since I normally am changing oil once a year, and use top shelf fluids, I really like to purge the engine of dirty oil prior to adding new oil.

Quick Reply: dino to synthetic