Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Pure power filters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:56 AM
rocketmangb
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I too got in a pissing contest with the filter mfg to the point he would not sell me a filter but he gave me 5 gallons of oil ! even paid the shipping.
I bought the filter on EBAY.
Nicely built piece but He knows squat about paper type filters.
Even the bypass valve seems a mystery to most people.
It is supposed to open when you have a pressure differential of about 8 PSI between the outside and inside of the filter.
What he does know about filters is this,when the bypass does open the oil will wash the trapped dirt off of the media and run it right through the valve un filtered so anything that was caught could wind up in the engine !
Many filter makers have gone to a top bypass valve to avoid this,ie: the oil flows across the top plate of the filter and not down the media and then through the bottom.
Many pictures are located here http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u7/rocketmangb/
As to the Harley filter being 5 micron i doubt it in fact most filter makers are going to a beta ratio which is a better read of a filter.
Many filters were harmed in this post !

Old 12-21-2008, 01:45 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with the upper bypass valve to a point. Cut many apart my self at one time to see differences. Keep this in mind however. When a bypass opens it only opens enough to take care of the pressure differential, meaning oil is still traveling through the element and forcing what particals are there against the elelment. It's not like the filter does an immediate switch from one to the other and all oil goes through the bypass valve. Many claims on filters use the Bullchit Baffles Brains method of marketing. The cleanable 30 micron stainless media filters are at the top of the list. Filtration with 30 micron is a joke for clean oil. Notice that all racing filters are large micron, and many state that they should not be used in your daily driver. High flow rates are more important than really clean oil for these types of applications.
Ron

Old 12-21-2008, 07:58 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have to agree its bs no oil filter is going to produce hp -ride safe

Old 12-22-2008, 02:44 AM
motrhd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I'm a little curious as to how many of the skeptics here, do their own work and how much they understand the parasitic drag of oil itself. You want to see a big jump in horsepower....shut the oil off, you'd be amazed..........only problem is the engine won't last very long that way.
Yes I have a purepower filter on my Harley.
The independent test done in Hot Bike magazine specifically stated that the gains were due to the filter and oil, not one or the other. The purepower oil is dino oil and is very pricey, so I just use their filter with Royal Purple oil. For those who don't know, syn oil molecules are all uniform and dino oil is not. A few more items, the filters also have magnets in them as well as the outer cartridge is machined with grooves that increase surface area and aid in cooling. The shop I buy my oil from, claims that they tested the Royal Purple itself, and showed a 14 hp gain. This was the shop not the manufactuer, I was told this after the purchase.
As for Harley using these filters, I don't think that it would improve the Citgo oil any. Please, no offense meant, just speaking to the issues and questions.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:24 AM
RA51
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran a Scotts reuseable oil filter on a Sportster for about 3 yrs with synthetic oil. The only advantage I could see was 10 degree lower oil temp with the filter.

http://www.scottsonline.com/products...HarleyDavidson

Old 12-22-2008, 06:42 PM
rocketmangb
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As i said,they shipped me 5 gallons of 15w40 pure power oil for free.
now i have the filter and oil on/in my 06 Sporty which does see dyno time
When i get the time and the dust it will see some more and i will report the results here.
If the dyno numbers dont pan out we will all know its total BS
If that is the case i will try the magic Royal Purple and go back on the dyno with that.

I used to build drag race engines and oil control means a bunch on those
anybody remember crank wipers and kick out oil pans ? small oil pumps ? dry sumps on Chevys ?
NHRA pro stocks still run dry sumps
its all Parasitic Drag which is HP

Rbabos has a point,all of the oil wont bypass,unless the filter is clogged to the point where it wont pass oil through the media in which case the engine is junk anyway !

I do have a ?

Maybe i should post a poll ?

What oil and filter combo would you all like see tested ?

Last edited by rocketmangb; 12-22-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:47 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not saying the Pure Power filters give you more horsepower or not, because I haven't installed mine yet. It's a K&P Engineering filter, which is the same thing.
The reason it's supposed to give you more horsepower, is because the flow rate is supposed to be 7 times better than an OEM filter. If you have better flow, then it's easier on the oil pump. If the oil pump doesn't have to work as hard, then it's easier on the engine, which is supposed to give you a bit more HP since it doesn't have to work as hard.
I can understand maybe 1 more HP, but not 10 or 12 just from a filter.

By the way, I didn't buy my filter for the HP factor, I bought it for the better flow rate, the cooling factor (fins on outside), the magnet (to check what's happening inside), and the looks (chrome with fins).

Last edited by ngoti8tor; 12-22-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:53 AM
motrhd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey rocketmangb, what I had said earlier was not meant for anyone specifically and certainly not you. Now with that clear, I'd like to see the purepower filter and Royal Purple combo and I'd also be curious about the magical, mythical Amsoil. I also bought my filter for cooling properties, looks, and longivety. I figure any HP or torque gain is just a plus.

BTW rocketman, we are sure on the same page, I make my own crank scrapers, have put standpipes in lifter gallies against some naysayers warnings. As well as being a former dragracer, circle track racer, and still a rodder. Oh and I used to know an engineer at the MOCO in Milwaukee, he turned me on to some great oiling tricks for ironheads back in the day.

For all you dragracers out there........one of the most memorable weekends of my life was the one where I spent the whole weekend in the Kallita pits at Route 66 Dragway, a few years back. My ex-brother-in-law works for them. Three Fuelers, what a rush !

Old 12-23-2008, 06:38 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I will say this once more. The load on the pump is controlled be the relief valve and viscosity and nothing to do with the filter at all. Once pressure has built up to the spring setting for oil pressure that's the load the pump draws in parasitic hp loss. Testing and claims on these filters from manufacturers is borderline retarted. If you want to see a higher horsepower, go 5/30 oil, run the temps to boiling point and drop the oil pressure to 5 psi.
All will work, but not practical. Temp drops, BS. Oil won't stay in that mini can long enough to even pick up any cooling effect. I have a large PurePower on my aircraft and the best it can cool at 100 mph is about 10 degrees and thats with a blast tube pointing at it. A propeller is like a dyno. Engine will only spool up to a specific rpm at full throttle. There was no increase in rpms with the 30 micron, but one thing not even mentioned here is that the bypass valve is like 16 psi setting on this thing. When oil is cold it will not come up to the same pressure as when it is hot. It slowly creeps up and this is with a tight clearance engine. It has a flow resistance through the media, even at 30 micron and the bypass is set way too high for cold weather oil flow. 8psi bypass valves are a good thing for everyday vehicles. Why do I have it? Clever marketing. Would I ever own another one? F, no.
Ron