Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Pure power filters?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 03:07 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Pure power filters?

It's all marketing BS . Works like this. Oil is pumped through filter and if it's too thick as in cold the bypass will open up. Most normal filters run in around 8 psi to open the bypass. My Purepower is 16 psi. That extra 8 psi on the pump in theoryshould rob horsepower. In all fairness when oil is hot they are about equal. I have one on my aircraft and the prop is basically a type of dino. No increase in full rpm was noted. It is a good design, but a pain in the A$$ to go through the cleaning process. Many use the same filter media 30 micron stainless of exact same design at much less money. After dealing one on one with the designer he eventually pi$$ed me off with his arrogance so I'll not buy from him again. He thinks he's God's gift to filtration.
Ron

Old 07-13-2007, 05:47 PM
heyrob
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one of these -- just received it and haven't installed it yet. I'll report back after I install it.

As for the horsepower gain claims, I too am very skeptical.. Two mags (Hot Bike and another one) did independent studies and got big HP gains. But in those studies and the website, they changed from stock oil and filter to PurePower oil and filter, so the gains were not just based on the filter.

The reasons I bought the thing were that it looks like it will filter better (it has magnets to grab the metal filings in addition to the supposedly-better filter element), it has cooling fins so it is supposed to help cool the oil (not an oil cooler, but should help) and it allows more oil to flow, which can only be a good thing. It is this last thing, and the resulting reduction of parasitic drag, that is supposed to cause the HP gains. It is not a gain in engine output, but a gain at the rear wheel as power that used to be taken pushing oil through the filter now goes to the ground.

Again, I am skeptical about an 8 HP gain, but it looks good and should be betterfor other reasons. And if I get even 1 extraHP, it would be worth it. And I don't and I wasted $200, I'll live. I've wasted a lot more than that on my bike . . .

Old 07-13-2007, 09:34 PM
rbabos
Banned

heyrob: Don't matter if it's pushed through the filter because pump load is governed by the system relief valve. From there oil pressure backs up putting load on the pump. You realize it's 30 micron which in filter standards is coarse? As for the oils, yes Purepower has their own brand but.......... that's like saying using Amsoil will give more power than dino. That would be an interesting test. To my knowledge the only way to gain horsepower from the oil is to go lighter viscosity to reduce fluid drag. I think I'll keep the 20/50 in there. Just couldn't stomach 5/30 running around in there for a 1 hp gain. Lots of cars run this grade to help pass epa standards.
Ron

Old 07-14-2007, 10:29 AM
genedjr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, lets look at the physics.

#1) Oils primary job is reducing the friction of moving parts. If an oil does a better job, more usable HP is availible.
#2) Oils primary job is to reduce the heat from the friction of moving parts and combustion. Heat "warps" parts causing more friction.See #1 above.
#3) Oil is contaminated by the byproducts of combustion. This and heat are the primary reasons oils goes bad over time. The filter is designed to clean the gunk from combustion and friction from the oil.

Now the question is, can an oil "filter" provide more cooling or reduce friction.

Also remember that 30 microns is the "average" level of filtration. Some "holes" are bigger, some smaller. There is no material with a completely uniform filtration level. So do you actualy clean more gunk with a filter with a smaller filtration level or do you actually just use the bypass valve more often.

One last thought - use magnets. If you dont chop up your filters every 10K miles, use magnets. Look at them. If you see tons of metal filings, you may want to look deeper.

Another last thought - use a thermostat controlled oil cooler. Oil coolers have been proven in all combustion engines to reduce wear and oil breakdown (cooking).

...gene

Old 07-18-2007, 07:08 PM
pat_mine
Stage III

Has anyone heard of/ or used this almost same to Pure power?
http://jk-enterprises.biz/kandp/
Same concept but just different Manufacturer and price. Like the idea but like others don't believe the 10% crap.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:13 PM
heyrob
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: rbabos

heyrob: Don't matter if it's pushed through the filter because pump load is governed by the system relief valve. From there oil pressure backs up putting load on the pump. You realize it's 30 micron which in filter standards is coarse? As for the oils, yes Purepower has their own brand but.......... that's like saying using Amsoil will give more power than dino. That would be an interesting test. To my knowledge the only way to gain horsepower from the oil is to go lighter viscosity to reduce fluid drag. I think I'll keep the 20/50 in there. Just couldn't stomach 5/30 running around in there for a 1 hp gain. Lots of cars run this grade to help pass epa standards.
Ron
Ron,
Thanks for the response. It is obvious from your post that you're more technically knowledgeable than I am. Since I made my last post, I installed my PurePower filter and don't notice any difference in performance in a seat of the pants test. But all that really matters to me is that it filters well. What you said about it being a 30 micron filter and that being coarse causes me some concern, but everything I read on this forum, in two independent articles and on PurePower's website convinced me that it filters better than a disposable paper filter. If so, then any other improvements are gravy. Assuming it filters well, then the worst case scenario is I wasted $200, and if I was worried about wasting money, I would have stopped about 50 mods ago -- LOL. And I think it probably filters better, provides more oil flow and helps a little with cooling, so it's all good . . . By the way, by logic it would seem that Amsoil (or any good syn) would give you more power than dino, if (as I suspect) it lubricates better and thus reduces friction. I have no basis for this, it just makes sense to me.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:10 PM
rbabos
Banned

It will filter to a 30 micron absolute, meaning nothing larger than 30 micron can get through. Most other filters are measured at a percentage of micron. If it's rated at say 10 micron at 90% that leaves 10% where the media, even synthetic could allow microns anywhere from 100 -300 to get through. That's gotta leave a mark somewhere. Fortunately, unless the engine is either new or self destucting there won't be any junk of that size. 30 micron is in the area of about .0015" Having built many engines for homebuilt aircraft and running the first hour and changing the oil, cutting the filter to look inside , running my new 96" Harley with a 5 micron filter for the first few miles didn't sit well with me. Until oil gets to about 170 degrees a lot of the oil goes through the bypass and not through the filter. This is the most dirt you will see at one time from an engine and most of it's not getting filtered. From experience it sure is not how I'd do it. I think they went too small with the micron rating for a full flow system. Whatever damage that could have been done has been done on the test ride so can't do much about it now. Plus warrany voided if using filter of higher micron rating. Engine wear cannot be stopped completely no matter how clean the oil is but it does help it live longer. I don't think I'd lose any sleep over the 30 micron thing. They ran forever without filters in the old days with substandard oils .
Ron

Old 03-23-2008, 11:17 AM
DMJFatboy
Tourer

I know a good mechanic who swears by this filter. You wouldhave to be an idiot if you think harley woulduse these filters on the bikes out of the factory, how in the hell would they make any money from you if they put a life time oil filter on your bike..Dee Dee Dee I would think we should be more concerned about how well it protects our engines instead of worrying about gaining hp from it. Give it a rest, if you don't know **** about it shut up and let those of us who are actually concerned with protecting our engines get the best info we can on this product.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:07 PM
REED
Intermediate
Smile Reed

Originally Posted by DMJFatboy
I know a good mechanic who swears by this filter. You wouldhave to be an idiot if you think harley woulduse these filters on the bikes out of the factory, how in the hell would they make any money from you if they put a life time oil filter on your bike..Dee Dee Dee I would think we should be more concerned about how well it protects our engines instead of worrying about gaining hp from it. Give it a rest, if you don't know **** about it shut up and let those of us who are actually concerned with protecting our engines get the best info we can on this product.
Agree I now have 2.7 million KM on my truck most using this type of filter and won't change for any reason

Old 09-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Tadman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
I gotta believe if the MoCo could get a 10% increase in HP & Torque with an oil filter...ALL Harleys would have them from the factory....
LOL
Nota chance..... Even if they did work as advertised, HD would not add them to production machines. They pay next to nothing for the HD filter and charge you your left nut every time they sell one. There not going to give up that revenue stream unless they can add a whole ****load to the sticker. HD can't add a lot to the sticker price of thir machines now as they are already priced way higher than the competition.

Quick Reply: Pure power filters?