Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Pure power filters?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 04:47 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Pure power filters?

ORIGINAL: jth81766

I have read a few articles with dyno charts provided that say Purepower oil filters will increase horsepower by 8hp and tourqe by 10 ft-lb, however I don't know anyone who has tried the product, if anyone is familiar with this product could you please provide a review?
Don't believe everything you read. No way possible for those increases they claim with just a filter change.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:14 AM
in2vtwin
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hot Bike that's on the shelf now has a test for this filter. They are showing 9hp, 9.5ft/lbs with only the filter...... I checked the companies site, they claim an average of 5hp..... but they STRONGLY recommend their oil as well. It's on par with the AmsOil all my Harley's have run for the last 21 years. If anyone buys one of these (before I do it myself), I'd be very interested in actual results.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:15 AM
hard_head
Tourer

I question their dyno graph on two accounts....
1. The fact they are changing oil between pulls... why does it make such a difference if the filter is so great?

2. Going from a stock setup - oil and filter - to an aftermarket set up isn't a fair pull. The dyno I want to see is stock oil w/ stock filter vs stock oil w/ their filter.

This is why I think their full of it... their test are comparing apples to oranges. Royal Purple can give a gain of 5 hp on the dyno. So they pull the stock filter and stock oil... slip their filter on - fill it with some better than stock oil... and poof! 5 horses are discovered due to the filter... mmm, bs. To many variables in one run to believe it for $200. Not to mention the before graph they showed in The Horse Mag when they ran an article on it in Feb (I think) looked like someone drew it upside down.

Sorry not buying that flying pig...

Swede

Old 05-25-2007, 10:37 AM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed - just poor engineering. First lesson in engineering - change one variable at a time. Otherwise, nothing is known as to cause and effect.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:01 AM
forestfarm
Cruiser

I got one on my 07 roadking.Running mobil 1.No seat of the pants power increase noted.It is a good looking piece though.Manufacturer recommends changing the oil out at 500 to 1000 miles initially to give you a chance to remove all the debris trapped in the filter from the previous paper filter.Apparently there will be a bunch of paper crap on the filter screen that needs to be cleaned.According to Purepower, with the stock filter your oil flows across the paper media,not thru it.With their filter,100% of the oil flows thru the filter media.Sounds good to me,they got my money.Im happy.They use them on aircraft engines,dont see many planes dropping out of the sky.Plus the filter looks cool as ****...

Old 05-30-2007, 09:45 PM
REED
Intermediate

I use pure power filters both on my Motorcycle and on my kENWORTH truck and if I buy anything else I will purchase one for that. I would recommend them to anyone that does their own service and I would further recommend that one purchase an extra filter media for the reasons that follow. I ride my bike and operate my truck in western Canada and when I come home after a trip when service is due drop the oil and filter, remove the canister and put in a clean filter element and finish the service alm ost immediately. Later at my convienience I wash the filter element with either solvent, diesel fuel or gasoline, later I put it in the dishwasher and run it through a cycle along with the dishes and when done place it in a clean plastic bag ready for the next service. I like the ability on every check to be able to open the filter and inspect the element for debris. I had some service work done on my Kenworth and due to mechanic error I took out the front journal on the camshaft and had all the bearing amaterial from that floating around in my engine however only so far as the oil filter which caught all the metal. To be sure I instructed the dealer to pull the oil pump and oil cooler to inspect for further contamination of which there was none. I service this filter on my truck every 25,000 miles and with the help- of a centrifuge filter and DELVAC oil going by oil analysis I change the truck oil yearly or in laymans terms about 125,000 miles. I must be doing something right it has well over 2 million miles on it and the same pistons rings and cylenders it came with and is still going strong. I simplify the oil I use by using only 1 brand which I consider to be about the best on the market Mobile DELVAC 15W40. My bike like my truck has roller cam followers, piston cooling jets and gear drive cams and does very well on DELVAC also the fact that it is available at almost every truck stop and EXON or ESSO dealer for a very reasonable price makes that an easy decision. I would not however trust just anybody, dealers included to service my oil filter. TOM REED reedth@telus.net forget hp gains it filters better and will save u money in the long run

Old 05-30-2007, 10:19 PM
forestfarm
Cruiser

Thanks for taking the time to reply Tom.I have gotten mostly skeptical comments regarding these filters performance.Im glad to hear the positive comments from someone who knows by experience.I will follow your advice and purchase a spare filter media.Im sure the wife wont mind me putting my oil filter in the dishwasher.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:03 AM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your wife won't mind you putting the filter element in the dishwasher, can I bring mine over to your house? I use a similar filter, from K & P Engrg., and the element gets washed in hot water and Dawn detergent. But your dishwasher sounds like a much better idea.

BTW - I don't know about performance, but my impression is that my filter cleans the oil better than paper filters I've cut apart. I can only assume that the Pure Power one does the same.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 PM
genedjr
Road Captain

OMG - with the dishes??? While the process may clean the filter it is certainly exposing you to carcinogens. Dish soap is not a grand solvent for gasolene or diesel. And it only takes traces to eventually plant you.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:50 PM
dbaker
1st Gear

How can an oil filter effect hp? That's a simple question and the simple answer is by reducing parasidic drag placed on the engine.Is this hypothetical parasidic drag reduction the result from PurePower oil or the PurePower filter? I don't know but will find out. Do I beleive that reducing parasidic drag will increase rear wheel hp? The answer is yes, I believe three articles that have performed the test with an oil change on the Dyno. Now if you believe you should only believe half of what you read and nothing you hear, then 4-5 hp with a 90% better filtration capacity for $200 is still probably the least cost hp you can buy. Compare that to say a high flow air filter ($150) and performance mufflers ($400) and ECM remap, piggyback or complete new ECM ($300-$800) all to get about 10 hp and ft/lb, I'd say it's pretty cost efficient. Anyone can buy hp but it's very expensive. I think the secret is to buy the cheapest hp first in a manner that will allow incremental increases without sacraficing the original cost incurred. My only concern with this product was whether it would function as "well as" the paper filters. Once I was assured that it would, the decision to purchase was a no brainer. But that's just my opinion. See you in my mirror.

Quick Reply: Pure power filters?