Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Viscosity of H-D trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 12:51 AM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: Viscosity of H-D trans fluid

ORIGINAL: iclick

ORIGINAL: Dave_E

Don't think I've seen it anywhere yet, but my owners manual says to replace the primary and trans with Formula+Transmission and Primary Chaincase lubricant...What weight is this stuff? Is it synthetic? I'm putting Mobile 1 V-Twin 20-50 in the crank.
From what I understand, Formula+ is a semi-synthetic engine oil, about 10w30 with a bit a EP added, a ripoff at $6.50/qt. and IMO unsuitable for tranny use. Use 10w30 or heavier multi-viscosity fossil engine oil (cheaper may be better in this case), ATF, or MTL in the primary and a 75w90 (preferably synthetic) gear oil for the tranny. Despite HD's rantings about diesel ratings, any 20w50 engine oil will work, although I wouldn't use a fossil oil in the engine. There are simply too many good reasons to use synthetic in the engine of your $20k bike than to yield to a small price difference that amounts to small change every oil change.
Formula + is not a 10/30 motor oil. I use itin my primary on my 07. I have also used it in the trany and it is more like a gear oil of some type and does not look or feel like any 10/30 motor oil I have seen. I find it to work well in the trany and great in the primary, even thoughon myrecent trany fluid seviceI switched to ahigh quality 75/140 synthetic gear oil.

Take Care,
Bill G

Old 03-15-2007, 02:12 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: sjoko

when 80W90 GL-4 is recommanded ,....you can't replace it for GL-5 just like that , because the newer additives could be agressive for oil-seal-rings and brass-alloy's !!!

10W40 SL / CF ( halve synth ) in the primairy.

20W50 SL / CF for engine ( crank-case )

Brand : VALVOLINE.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there are any brass synchros in a HD trans.....you are thinking automotive trans.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:00 PM
sjoko
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

you're right ,...no brass synchro-mesh inside ,....but certain type oil seals and brass-alloys can't stand GL-5 , ...when GL-4 is recommended .
Valvoline recommends DuraBlend 80W90 GL-4 for a HD transmission of an FLSTC '93 ,...why's that ? they don't mention GL-5 , which isin factmore expensive.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:58 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bill G

Formula + is not a 10/30 motor oil. I use itin my primary on my 07. I have also used it in the trany and it is more like a gear oil of some type and does not look or feel like any 10/30 motor oil I have seen. I find it to work well in the trany and great in the primary, even thoughon myrecent trany fluid seviceI switched to ahigh quality 75/140 synthetic gear oil.
Someone on another thread several months ago, not sure which forum, had Forumula+ lab tested, which revealed it was a 10w30 oil with few additives. I didn't do the test nor do I attest to its accuracy, but I'm just passing this info along. In my discussions with HD tech support I was told 10w30 was normal for the primary and that the 20w50 I'm now using was acceptable to quieten the '07 clattering if no clutch issues (slippage, uneven engagement, etc.) surfaced. He said 20w50 was a bit viscous for some climates but was probably okay for the Deep South where I live. I'm not sure why geography matters, as people generally stay home when temps fall below about 40°, and summers are hot almost everywhere. I'm using 20w50 Castrol GTX in my primary and haven't noticed any problems even in cold weather.

FWIW, 75w90 gear oil is equivalent to 10w30 engine oil in viscosity. It is given higher numbers to protect the public from themselves by giving engine and gear oil different designations to avoid confusion.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

ORIGINAL: iclick

ORIGINAL: Bill G

Someone on another thread several months ago, not sure which forum, had Forumula+ lab tested, which revealed it was a 10w30 oil with few additives. I didn't do the test nor do I attest to its accuracy, but I'm just passing this info along. In my discussions with HD tech support I was told 10w30 was normal for the primary and that the 20w50 I'm now using was acceptable to quieten the '07 clattering if no clutch issues (slippage, uneven engagement, etc.) surfaced. He said 20w50 was a bit viscous for some climates but was probably okay for the Deep South where I live. I'm not sure why geography matters, as people generally stay home when temps fall below about 40°, and summers are hot almost everywhere. I'm using 20w50 Castrol GTX in my primary and haven't noticed any problems even in cold weather.

FWIW, 75w90 gear oil is equivalent to 10w30 engine oil in viscosity. It is given higher numbers to protect the public from themselves by giving engine and gear oil different designations to avoid confusion.

Thanks for the feed back....

Take Care,
Bill G