Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Lucas additives

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:15 AM
KenM
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lucas additives

Lucas advertises that they prolong engine life and reduce wear in older engines. Better compression etc.

Lucas is a pretty well known. Are their products up to what they claim?

Old 02-13-2007, 12:16 AM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Lucas additives

I do not know, must be pretty good they are the name on the new Colts stadium

I have heard good things, couple of shops around here use it under a different name that I cannot recall.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:01 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I think the newer synthetic oils are good enough that you don't need additives. But I didn't notice you have a 93 model. So, why not give them a try?

Old 02-13-2007, 01:26 AM
bear95252
Cruiser

If you stop and think about it, everyones oil regardless of who makes it, is a carefully engineered chemical formula. To take any, " off the shelf, " additive and pour it in a carefully engineered formula is taking a chance. There is no way of knowing what you have done to that formula without chemical analysis. I can tell you, if you put additives in AMSOIL and you have an engine failure, their warranty is null and void. Pertaining to additives, as W. C. Fields once said " There is a sucker born every minute."

Old 02-13-2007, 10:25 AM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: bear95252

If you stop and think about it, everyones oil regardless of who makes it, is a carefully engineered chemical formula. To take any, " off the shelf, " additive and pour it in a carefully engineered formula is taking a chance. There is no way of knowing what you have done to that formula without chemical analysis. I can tell you, if you put additives in AMSOIL and you have an engine failure, their warranty is null and void. Pertaining to additives, as W. C. Fields once said " There is a sucker born every minute."
I agree 100%...Why would any "quality" oil manufacturer require you to purchase additional additives to make the oil that is already claimed to be quality oil, better? On the shelf oil additives are marketed to fill a gap and increase revenues. That gap, is typically found in inferior oils that need something extra to bring it up to snuff. That gap may be a weak additive package to begin with.
My favorite is Lucas oil's "oil stabilizer" Why does Lucas oil need something extra to stabilize it? Shouldn't it already be stabile?

The AMSOIL guy
Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-13-2007, 10:13 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Guys he has a hi mileage 1993 bike. I wouldn't go synthetic because of the mileage and 1993 seal technology would be a bit scary for syn oils but might consider an additive booster added to HD360 dino. Just a thought...

Old 02-16-2007, 10:56 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

Why bother adding additives to the oil. The oil already has additives built into it in the first place. Over time, the additives are all used up...translating it is time for an oil change.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:47 PM
GMHARLEYMAN
2nd Gear

Lucas has good oil and oil products. I uses the 20/50 motor oil in my harley roadking. It is a 2005 with 23000 miles on bike runs great.I use 70/90 lucas gearoil with 3 onces of lucas oil stabilizer in transmisson, shifts very good. Ialso use their gas treament bike runs. So now I WILL POST THIS SO THE AMSOIL GUYS CAN TELL US HOW THEY HAVE A 90 PAGE REPORT ON HOW THERE OIL IS MUCH BETTER.YOU CAN NOT POST ANY THING ABOUT OIL WITH OUT THEM HAVING A BAD REPORT ON IT BUY WHAT YOU WANT BUT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TO MAKE OUTHERS LOOK BAD JUST TO SELL YOUR OIL. IF IT WAS THAT GOOD IT WOULD SELL IT SELF.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:13 AM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: GMHARLEYMAN

Lucas has good oil and oil products. I uses the 20/50 motor oil in my harley roadking. It is a 2005 with 23000 miles on bike runs great.I use 70/90 lucas gearoil with 3 onces of lucas oil stabilizer in transmisson, shifts very good. Ialso use their gas treament bike runs. So now I WILL POST THIS SO THE AMSOIL GUYS CAN TELL US HOW THEY HAVE A 90 PAGE REPORT ON HOW THERE OIL IS MUCH BETTER.YOU CAN NOT POST ANY THING ABOUT OIL WITH OUT THEM HAVING A BAD REPORT ON IT BUY WHAT YOU WANT BUT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TO MAKE OUTHERS LOOK BAD JUST TO SELL YOUR OIL. IF IT WAS THAT GOOD IT WOULD SELL IT SELF.
First of all STOP SCREAMING! Secondly, welcome to the forum... Thirdly, if you read back through the posts, you will see several requests from members for technical data regarding the oil that the member is particularly interested in. Problem is, not one of the major oil companies have the type data available to John Q Public that he is asking for.
In a thread that is active now, the question is how Royal Purple compares to AMSOIL. We whole heartedly invite RP to produce some comparison data, but they don't. For that matter, as stated before, none of them do with the exception of AMSOIL. So I find it strange that AMSOIL gets blasted by guys like you for giving exactly what you ask for....information and comparison data that is clearly available to the public for examination and scrutiny.
All the lip service in the world does not change the fact that none of the tests and data provided by AMSOIL has ever been refuted or proved incorrect.
AMSOIL simply has ***** to challenge the big oil companies and the products to back it up.
Your perception of AMSOIL "making others look bad" is well.... a perception. If the tests and data provided by these ASTM industry standard tests make another product "look bad" in comparison...so be it. But that is your perception. AMSOIL is not saying the other oils are bad, just not as good. If you owned a product that tested so well, wouldn't you want to show it off?
So instead of all this energy givin to lip service about AMSOIL, spend some of that energy trying to get your oil of choice to do some real life comparison testing. I would love to see Mobil or RP or any of the oil companies do some real life comparisons that name the brands being tested. You know they do it...Why don't they show the public the results?

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
The AMSOIL guy

Old 04-04-2007, 11:48 AM
scott4911
Cruiser

Agreed Steve. I use Lucas oil addatives in my vehicles. Range from 60K to 260K. I own 2 trucks, 3 cars and my FXSTC, so i've got a couple gallons of the Lucas stuff around the house. I sent the Lucas guys an email on the change intervals of my fluids (engine every 10K with filter change at 5K). He told me to top off the crank case at the filter change with their syn. stabilizer to "help rejuvinate the additive packages in the oil".

I won't use the additive at the change because I think (like other people around here) synthetic oils don't need any additives. On higher mileage vehilces, trucks or cars, I do use their regular oil stabilizer. It just increases the viscosity of the oil, and you need that if you like to go over theregular oil change intervals, like I usually do..