Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Mileage and syn oils

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:56 AM
sedbiker62
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mileage and syn oils

ORIGINAL: Snobal

ORIGINAL: bobo06

I too have been thinking about switching to mobile 1 v-twin. The main reason is the 15degree avg drop in temperature people seem to get.
What about top end noise? does it make it noisier or quiet it down. I've heard people say both. As far as service intervals it's still an air cooled motor and I will probably change it at the regular intervals.
Another thing is every H-D shop I go by on the road has 20-50 H-D oil . I had to check 5 different places here in Iowa to find someone who carried mobile 1 v-twin. On a road trip if I need a quart of oil I'll probably have a hard time finding it.
Still haven't made up my mind yet

Bobo
I have tried Syn 3 and Moble 1 V twin in my '06 Ultra. Won't bore you with all the details but here is what I observed:
1 - On my stock bike, Ifound no significant difference in the engine temps between syn and standard HD 360 Oil
2 - My bike makes less noise with the HD 360 than syn oils
3 - Syn oil seems to lube the engine much better

About #3, "Syn oil seems to lube the engine much better." Ya, I've read all kinds of reports from oil companies about how their oil is better than others, ball-ware tests, this test, that test, etc. etc. I figure it is all marketing BS.

But here is what I have observed. When using HD 360 and I change the oil & filter after 2,500 to 3000 miles, the drain plug magnet is covered with tiny metal particals - just like the other 5 HD's I have owned and ran on dino oil. But when I use the Syn oil, the drain plug magnet only has a slight gray film on it.

I do not claim to know anything about mechanics, I've just been 'cook booking'the routine maintenance on my bikes/cars/trucks for the past 40 + years. Also, I'm not pushingsyn oils, or any brand of syn oil.

Mytotally un-scientific observation leads me to believe that there is really something tothe claims that syn oils lube better because I can think ofno other reason that the drain magnet would stop catchingsignificant metal particals with syn oil, other than that engine has less "wear and tear" with the syn.

In any case, I plan to run syn oil in my engine and just ignore the extra noise.

JMHO
I like your un-scientific approach. I think that is a very good observation.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-22-2007, 09:48 AM
vja2000
Stage II

ORIGINAL: Tompop

...can cause more problems that it is worth. ie leaky seals etc. I have 13,500 miles on my 2003 wideglide...
This is my first post. A little about me: I was an automotive Driveability technician for a little over 20 years. I rode metrics for about 8 years when I was a young guy. While I'm not exactly a virgin, I'm 48-years-oldand it has been years since I've parted my legs and this is the first time I've been with a Harley.

Having said all that I can tell you from experience that rubber and other synthetic engine and/or driveline seals do "cure" to their environment. Therefore, it is true that you do not want to wait too long before introducing synthetic oil or indeed you can develop lubricant leaks - more often than not, "seepage." However, Ido not know of one instance where these leaks cannot be stopped simply by putting the regular oil back in.

Nothing is actually harmed or damaged by trying the synthetic oil; you're just out the cash for another oil and filter change. Yes, you do need to change the filter again if the synthetic does not work out for you, even if it's only been 100 miles. Just like Harley states, some oil is not compatible with other oil and can break down almost instantly when mixed.

So, will synthetic oil work for you with 13,500 miles on your engine? There is no way to know until you actually try it. If it doesn't leak or seep out through any of the seals, it's fine. If it does leak or seep, you'll have to put the other oil back in - it's really no biggy except for the expense of doing so.

Lastly, I'm glad to hear the twin cams make a lot of upper end sounds; I was a bit concerned about this on my bike. In the business we learn to differentiate between a "sound" anda "noise;" a sound is normal, while a noise is not normal So, I'm glad to know this is a Harley sound

Old 01-22-2007, 11:07 AM
brian1
Banned

ORIGINAL: Budz

If you are a guy who will change synthetic every 2500 to 3000 miles don't waste your money. A big benefit of using synthetic is extended change interval. Why pay 2 to 4 times as much for a better oil and waste the benefit. Synthetic will not be BAD for your engine.
The big benefit comes from better protection in high temps when riding. It protects the engine better with less thermal breakdown, well worth the additional cost.
The reason some motors leak/seep after the change( usually high milers ) to syn oil is that it cleans the motor better than the dino oils do. It doesn't damage anything.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:09 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tompop

I have read in these posts somewhere, that switching to a synthetic oil after using dino oil for Over a certain amount of miles can cause more problems that it is worth. ie leaky seals etc. I have 13,500 miles on my 2003 wideglide, and have always used HD 20-50 in the crank. Formula + in the primary and tranny. Would I have problems if I switched to Synthetic? What do ya think? [sm=biker.gif]
There is some measure of truth to this. Fossil oil oxidizes more quickly than synthetic and the result is sludge and varnish, which can collect around gaskets and seals. This gunk can mask a weak seal, and since most synthetics have superior detergent properties they will dissolve these contaminants and expose the flaw(s). Unless the fossil oil has not been changed regularly and has compiled many miles, there should be nothing to worry about. I personally have never seen this happen, but I've seen it described in credible articles and it makes sense.

At only 13.5k miles and if you've been changing your oil regularly, you should have no worries. Don't get sucked up into propaganda from HD or boutique oil companies, or suggestions that only "motorcycle oil" will suffice. Do some research and make your decision. Any major synthetic oil of the right SAE grade, with or without "motorcycle" on the label, will work fine in your V-twin.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:30 PM
hd55
Cruiser

Excellent info

Old 01-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you were using straight non-detergent mineral oil and had maybe 3X more miles on the bike, you might run into problems when the varnish deposits were washed out of the engine. With the milage you have, especially if you have been using detergent oil (don't think you can get anything else these days), you shouldn't have any problems.