Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Havoline 20w50 closeout sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 09:19 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: Havoline 20w50 closeout sale

ORIGINAL: sedbiker62

ORIGINAL: pococj

Turns over in mine just like any other 20w- oil. Yesterday it was 29 and it cranked fine while I was testing the clutch basket alignment.
Skip, first let me say I admire your knowledge and more often than not agree with your posts.
However, I gotta take issue with your statement "Turns over in mine just like any other 20w- oil."
While the Havoline may in fact turn over in your bike at 29 degrees. I can assure you that it does not flow in any way like a synthetic does at the same temp. Your petroleum oil has a moderatley high level of paraffinic content. Parafin begins to solidify at room temperature. As the paraffins begin to solidify, they form a honey comb like structure that at the very least inhibits flow, in the worst case scenario, stops flow. Even with additives to inhibit the formation of the honey comb structures, unless your petroleum oil is brand new, those additives degrade very quickly once exposed to the heat of engine operation.

A very simple and convincing experiment that can be performed at home tells the tale.

Place a quart of your favorite petroleum oil and a quart of your favorite synthetic oil in the freezer for an hour. At the end of the hour, pour the oil into a container of your choice. Let me know which one you want in your crank case in cold weather.
This is not a humble opinion, this is simply a fact. With all due respect

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
Steve, I ain't got an argument with anything you said. Except maybe the part that the dino 20w- doesn't turn over like any other 20w-. A 20w- is a 20w-, whether its dino or syn. Granted one might be at the high range of the scale and the other at the low range, but I'm talking about seat-of-the-pants starting, in my case. I've run both Mobil 1 15w-50, Castrol 20w-50 synthetic, Castrol 20w-50 GTX, and the Havoline 20w-50 dino. Seat-of-the-pants, I can tell no difference in their starting in cold weather. Is there a difference? For my purposes, no.

I started using the Havoline when my engine sprocket seal started leaking badly. Too expensive to pour synthetic oil in the tank and watch it stream out all over the side of the bike and on the ground. I chose Havoline because of some used oil analyses on BITOG done on an Evo motored HD. The wear was less using the Havoline than even when the dude used synthetics. Seemed like a good thing - less wear, less expensive, and I could let it run outon the ground 'til winter!

When I get the bike back together after fixing the seal, and doing a few other things to it I'm going to run a load of M1 15w-50, then run a load of Castrol SynTec 20w-50, and finally a load of the Havoline 20w-50, having a UOA done on each after 2500 - 3000 miles.

My bike has about 130,000 miles on it. It had between 25,000 and 40,000 on it when I got it. I have no idea what oil was in it before I got it, but most of the miles I've put on it have beenusing Mobil 1 15w-50. When I pulled the top end off to replace the base gaskets there was still about 80 - 90% of the crosshatching visible on the cylinder walls.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:41 PM
sedbiker62
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: iclick

Place a quart of your favorite petroleum oil and a quart of your favorite synthetic oil in the freezer for an hour. At the end of the hour, pour the oil into a container of your choice. Let me know which one you want in your crank case in cold weather.
centistoke viscosity units measured at 100 degrees (212 F) and centipoise viscosity units

Steve, the lower value in the SAE rating is measured by timing how long a quantity of oil can flow out of a graduated cylinder at 0°C (centipose viscosity), and any oil rated at 20w should flow at a similar rate as any other like-rated oil. The upper rating (centistroke viscosity) is measured at 100°C. That said, I once tested RP 20w50, M1 15w50, and RP Nitro 50 by placing them in my freezer (-12°C) for several hours. Using an unscientific method--holding a cup in each hand, pouring, and observing--I came up with this order (speed to empty the cup): Nitro 50, RP 20w50, and M1 15w50. There is no SAE rating for the Nitro 50 since it is a racing oil (for nitro-methane-burning dragsters), but the second and third placers should've been reversed. The results were not dramatic, but conclusive. Perhaps it would've been reversed at 0°C, but I doubt it.

Frankly, flow rates at 0°C are irrelevant for my application, for it is a rare occurrence for me to crank up in air temps lower than 45°F (7°C). Any 20w50 oil should flow fine in the temperatures most of us ride in. More importantly, synthetics tend to stick to metal surfaces longer than fossil oil, making the cold-cranking ordeal much less stressful. As we know, most wear on an engine occurs when cold starting. I saw this first-hand when an ex-client of mine, who markets synthetic-oil additives to oil companies, did a test on two identical vehicles in a near-identical environment for 30k miles, changing the oil at 3k intervals. One was 10w30 fossil and the other 10w30 M1. They removed the intake manifold and oil pan in each vehicle for inspection. For the engine running fossil oil, there was already a sludge build-up, while with the M1 there was none. In about an hour I noticed that the engine with M1 still looked "wet," i.e. there was still a coating on the lifter valley and other metal surfaces, but the fossil engine looked dry. One of the engineers described the stickiness phenomenon I mentioned before. This translates into easier cold starts and much less wear being realized on engines running synthetic oil.

Wow! Thanks for the mind numbing explanation of viscosity. Very good, but mind numbing.
I still contend that even 20w oil, one synthetic and one petro, will be noticably different in my simple experiment. I will confirm it tomorrow and let you know.
With regard to the 15w50 M1 vs the 20w50 RP, both being PAO (polyalphaolefin) synthetics, the difference between the 15w and 20w is imperceptable, therfore to determine which has a better cold flow property would likely take a more scientific approach. The Nitro 50 is likely a 0w oil.
Bottom line, synthetics posses a superior cold flow property than petroleum.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-24-2007, 10:00 PM
sedbiker62
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turns over in mine just like any other 20w- oil. Yesterday it was 29 and it cranked fine while I was testing the clutch basket alignment.
Skip, first let me say I admire your knowledge and more often than not agree with your posts.
However, I gotta take issue with your statement "Turns over in mine just like any other 20w- oil."
While the Havoline may in fact turn over in your bike at 29 degrees. I can assure you that it does not flow in any way like a synthetic does at the same temp. Your petroleum oil has a moderatley high level of paraffinic content. Parafin begins to solidify at room temperature. As the paraffins begin to solidify, they form a honey comb like structure that at the very least inhibits flow, in the worst case scenario, stops flow. Even with additives to inhibit the formation of the honey comb structures, unless your petroleum oil is brand new, those additives degrade very quickly once exposed to the heat of engine operation.

A very simple and convincing experiment that can be performed at home tells the tale.

This is not a humble opinion, this is simply a fact. With all due respect

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
Steve, I ain't got an argument with anything you said. Except maybe the part that the dino 20w- doesn't turn over like any other 20w-. A 20w- is a 20w-, whether its dino or syn. Granted one might be at the high range of the scale and the other at the low range, but I'm talking about seat-of-the-pants starting, in my case. I've run both Mobil 1 15w-50, Castrol 20w-50 synthetic, Castrol 20w-50 GTX, and the Havoline 20w-50 dino. Seat-of-the-pants, I can tell no difference in their starting in cold weather. Is there a difference? For my purposes, no.

I started using the Havoline when my engine sprocket seal started leaking badly. Too expensive to pour synthetic oil in the tank and watch it stream out all over the side of the bike and on the ground. I chose Havoline because of some used oil analyses on BITOG done on an Evo motored HD. The wear was less using the Havoline than even when the dude used synthetics. Seemed like a good thing - less wear, less expensive, and I could let it run outon the ground 'til winter!

When I get the bike back together after fixing the seal, and doing a few other things to it I'm going to run a load of M1 15w-50, then run a load of Castrol SynTec 20w-50, and finally a load of the Havoline 20w-50, having a UOA done on each after 2500 - 3000 miles.

My bike has about 130,000 miles on it. It had between 25,000 and 40,000 on it when I got it. I have no idea what oil was in it before I got it, but most of the miles I've put on it have beenusing Mobil 1 15w-50. When I pulled the top end off to replace the base gaskets there was still about 80 - 90% of the crosshatching visible on the cylinder walls.
OK Skip, hard to argue with a 130,000 mile Harvey-Johnson. Don't know much about BITOG or the experiments done on the evo bike.
I am certainly not saying dino oil is bad, if it were it wouldn't still be on the shelf. Compared to dino oil of just 20 years ago, the current stuff is stellar.
Skip, come to the dark side[sm=vader.gif]Use synthetics...

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-25-2007, 01:11 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

OK Skip, hard to argue with a 130,000 mile Harvey-Johnson. Don't know much about BITOG or the experiments done on the evo bike.
I am certainly not saying dino oil is bad, if it were it wouldn't still be on the shelf. Compared to dino oil of just 20 years ago, the current stuff is stellar.
Skip, come to the dark side[sm=vader.gif]Use synthetics...

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
LOL, I was on the dark side until the seal leak. When I "get 'er dun" I might be back, but I will go with the oil that gives me the best (least) wear. And that might be el-cheapo Havoline 20w-50.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:21 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

I still contend that even 20w oil, one synthetic and one petro, will be noticably different in my simple experiment. I will confirm it tomorrow and let you know.
Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
[/quote]
The problem with your experiment is that you don't know whether the two 20w-xx oils you are testing are actually 20w-xx oils. There is a range of viscosity an oil may fall into and be called a 20w-xx oil. So your two choices may beone oil that is, say, an actual "17w-xx" oil, and the other might be a "27w-xx" oil. Obviously these numbers aren't going to be on the can, but there might be a whole grade difference between them. That could have a greater effect on the outcome of the experiment than one being synthetic and the other dino. Just food for thought ...

The better "cling-thing" iclick talks about in his post is of more value than whether one flows marginally better. The synthetic's ability to cling to the metal surfaces will result in way less wear.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:26 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Havoline oil has a very strong additive package in it for a dino oil in it's price range. It will go 2500 in a HD no problem. I have a 2 year stash of synthetic 20w50 for my bike. (found some Redline 20w50 at the Havoline sale table for $4 qt) Otherwise I would buy a few cases and use it in my bike & boat.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:46 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow! Thanks for the mind numbing explanation of viscosity. Very good, but mind numbing.
With regard to the 15w50 M1 vs the 20w50 RP, both being PAO (polyalphaolefin) synthetics, the difference between the 15w and 20w is imperceptable, therfore to determine which has a better cold flow property would likely take a more scientific approach. The Nitro 50 is likely a 0w oil.
Bottom line, synthetics posses a superior cold flow property than petroleum.
The Nitro 50 is supposedly a straight 50 weight oil and flows much slower at room temperature than a 0-weight, about the same as the 20w50, but since it flows so readily in cold temperatures must truly be a multi-vis. RP's site describe its viscosity as "...typical of an SAE 50 oil." Since is isn't a mainstream product it doesn't need to have an SAE rating and thus doesn't have one. I mix it at with RP 20w50 (3:1), as the Nitro 50 is highly fortified with anti-wear additives (moly, phosphorus, and zinc), which the 20w50 contains but not in that quantity, and has extreme resistence to fuel dilution. It greatly reduces heat and increases lubricity over 200%, although this racing oil is rather expensive at $200 per 5-gal. pail and isn't available in quarts.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:50 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

The better "cling-thing" iclick talks about in his post is of more value than whether one flows marginally better. The synthetic's ability to cling to the metal surfaces will result in way less wear.
I agree, and this is a quality many people don't consider. Since cold starting is the biggest producer of wear your engine will experience, it makes sense that if that coating exists on components before the start there will be much better lubrication during this critical period, resulting in longer engine life.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:14 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

I just traded my Evo RK after running it for nine years through 33 states and 106k miles, and it ran perfect when we regretably parted company. It had never had the heads off, even for base gaskets, and except for replacing the stock cam had never had engine work done. My last compression check was like the first in 1998, which was 158:158, it never ran >190° (oil temp in pan) and rarely over 180°, never had any engine leaks, and had the same low oil consumption as when I first purchased it in 1997 (9k miles). I used RP 20w50 for about a year, then switched to my formula (2:2 RP 20w50 and RP Nitro 50). In my new bike, after 5k miles, I will use the formula but change to 3:1 because the Nitro 50 costs me $200/pail (5-gal), which is dealer cost. Complicated? Yes, but it worked well before.

I would've liked to have seen the wear on the engine like you were able to do when you changed base gaskets, but I never had that opportunity. I also wanted to see how far it would go without requiring engine work, but became smitten by a pretty face and replaced my old friend with a new SG. I still wince when I think about him, felling a bit like I've sold an old friend into slavery, but we all must move on. What did make me feel good was when it sat in the showroom for only one day before being sold to a guy who at first sight thought it was a new bike!