Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Redline Motor Oil.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:01 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Redline Motor Oil.....

About a week ago I switched to Redline Shockproof in the gearbox and love how the "clanks" have turned into "thuds" when shifting. I guess I'm wondering if Redline motor oil quiets motor as much as shockproof quiets the gearbox. Anybody use Redline motor oil, if so which weight? Thanks

Old 07-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I use nothing but Red Line in all holes and 20/50 motor oil....Same engine noise but helps the tranny with the shockproof. That stuff is thick.Most fluids today are pretty good..just have to change them to keep-em fresh...

Old 07-08-2012, 10:59 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for a quick reply. Jerry, are you saying your engine is just as noisy with Redline?

Old 07-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 151 Likes on 91 Posts

My favorite oil is Redline 20w50 but I have used the original Harley Dino, Mobil1 and Redline. Redline is my favorite. The noise however is the quietest when using Dino. The synthetic oils seem to be louder but excellent lubrication. That being said, Redline in my bike is slightly more quiet than Mobil1 V-twin was.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:13 PM
RLE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ready to switch over to redline as well and am curious if the results will be as good as people rave about. The mobil one has my motor sounding like I dumped ball bearings in the oil pan. I know most people just run the redline 20w50 motor oil but all I can get a hold of around here is the 13.50$ a quart vtwin oil from a chopper shop. Which would be about what I would have to pay for the regular motor oil once shipping was paid. Would like to hear others input as well, other than the regular "it works great". Motul is the other only group 5 true synthetic that ive ever heard of, and I can get it locally, never hear anything about it though. Maybe the oil gurus will chime in with some good analysis.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:27 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RLE
Ready to switch over to redline as well and am curious if the results will be as good as people rave about. The mobil one has my motor sounding like I dumped ball bearings in the oil pan. I know most people just run the redline 20w50 motor oil but all I can get a hold of around here is the 13.50$ a quart vtwin oil from a chopper shop. Which would be about what I would have to pay for the regular motor oil once shipping was paid. Would like to hear others input as well, other than the regular "it works great". Motul is the other only group 5 true synthetic that ive ever heard of, and I can get it locally, never hear anything about it though. Maybe the oil gurus will chime in with some good analysis.
I also use Mobil 1 V-twin oil and I agree that my engine chatter is louder than I would like. I'd try dino oil but I think it would break down in hot weather. I noticed Redline makes a straight 60w syn oil. I may try it next change. Sure do like Redline Shockproof quieted down the gearbox.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll subscribe...
At this point I've decided on Redline. Little concerned about hearing it doesn't quiet the engine though. If synthetic makes more noise it might seem logical to go with a thicker oil. Manual says Above 60 degrees straight 50 and above 80 degrees straight 60 weight. So straight weights are definitely a choice. Manual says the degrees listed are for coolest temp expected b4 next oil change. I guess I do put about 1K a month on the bike, so I could go with straight 50 May-Oct and then go back to 20/50. Course that means that either way I'm at 50 weight once it warms up, so not really changing the engine noise. Maybe straight 60 is a good idea with synthetic. Synthetic should coat the engine better for a better startup. Synthetic SEEMS (I know it isn't) to be thinner. Should help things run cooler too right?

Is anybody using straight 60 weight?

Old 07-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 151 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Dew Me
I'll subscribe...
At this point I've decided on Redline. Little concerned about hearing it doesn't quiet the engine though. If synthetic makes more noise it might seem logical to go with a thicker oil. Manual says Above 60 degrees straight 50 and above 80 degrees straight 60 weight. So straight weights are definitely a choice. Manual says the degrees listed are for coolest temp expected b4 next oil change. I guess I do put about 1K a month on the bike, so I could go with straight 50 May-Oct and then go back to 20/50. Course that means that either way I'm at 50 weight once it warms up, so not really changing the engine noise. Maybe straight 60 is a good idea with synthetic. Synthetic should coat the engine better for a better startup. Synthetic SEEMS (I know it isn't) to be thinner. Should help things run cooler too right?

Is anybody using straight 60 weight?
Redline does make 20w60 also. Just FYI.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:11 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been running 20W60 Redline for a couple of years in my SG. Never had a problem with it and it does help with lowering the motor noise (somewhat). I am a firm believer in Redline after reading a few thread from here.All three holes get Redline lol I do my own servce..saves $$$

Ride safe!

Old 07-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Udawg
Redline does make 20w60 also. Just FYI.
Sweet, thanks!!! No, I missed that. I'll do that then and could really do that all year round. Best of both worlds.

Originally Posted by HD Jim
I've been running 20W60 Redline for a couple of years in my SG. Never had a problem with it and it does help with lowering the motor noise (somewhat). I am a firm believer in Redline after reading a few thread from here.All three holes get Redline lol I do my own servce..saves $$$

Ride safe!
Thanks Jim. Granted Texas doesn't get as cool as Maryland, but I'm right behind ya. Once the engine is hot don't see how it can be too thick so long as it fits tolerances (which the manual says it does).

Quick Reply: Redline Motor Oil.....