Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:43 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: amsoil

We had great weather here in Washington yesterday, Mar 6th, and us oldguys did our lunch ride and then visited an independent m/c shop. One of the boys had just had his camchain tensioners replaced with gear drives. The shop was able to show us a box full of cams and tensioners, the wear was terrible to behold. Finished the days ride of 150 miles and drained the primary and engine of Syn3, tran already has Amsoil 75w-90 Severe Gear in it. Put Amsoil in the remaining 2 holes and slept worry free for a change. Yes, I changed the filter, too. Took ithe bike out to check for leaks and danged if it didn't turn from Blue to RED!

Old 03-12-2007, 12:14 AM
sedbiker62
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: wldbill

We had great weather here in Washington yesterday, Mar 6th, and us oldguys did our lunch ride and then visited an independent m/c shop. One of the boys had just had his camchain tensioners replaced with gear drives. The shop was able to show us a box full of cams and tensioners, the wear was terrible to behold. Finished the days ride of 150 miles and drained the primary and engine of Syn3, tran already has Amsoil 75w-90 Severe Gear in it. Put Amsoil in the remaining 2 holes and slept worry free for a change. Yes, I changed the filter, too. Took ithe bike out to check for leaks and danged if it didn't turn from Blue to RED!

Danged if that ain't a purty red..but don't despair, it'll get brighter with experience[sm=lol.gif]

I love it when I runs into a motor syclist that's got sum smarts

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
The AMSOIL Guy

Old 03-17-2007, 12:05 AM
dbc14517
Novice

I have been considering switching to Amsoil SVG 75W90 Sever Gear Lube in the tranny for sometime. In reading the threads on this site, there seems to be some concern regarding potential additives and overkill. I am not concerned about the overkill but the additives??? Would not the FGR 75W90 Synthetic long life gear lube be better the MCV 20W50? Help or advice is appreciated.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:17 PM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: dbc14517

I have been considering switching to Amsoil SVG 75W90 Sever Gear Lube in the tranny for sometime. In reading the threads on this site, there seems to be some concern regarding potential additives and overkill. I am not concerned about the overkill but the additives??? Would not the FGR 75W90 Synthetic long life gear lube be better the MCV 20W50? Help or advice is appreciated.
Welcome to the forum....
The FGR 75W-90 synthetic long life gear lubeis a good choice. Whether it's better than the MCV 20W-50 is a matter of opinion. The FGR is rated as a GL-5 and is overkill for spur type gears, however it is devoid of the EP additives. Therefore it is not going to hurt your tranny and if you're a "better to have to much than not enough" kinda guy, then this is a good choice. The additives that make up a GL-5 gear lube include friction modifiers, so it cannot be used in the primary.

MCV 20W-50 High Performance Motorcycle oil meets the specifications for a GL-1 gear lube which is the industry accepted standard for spur and helical type gears. A GL-1 gear lube has no friction modifiers and is therefore also acceptable for the primary and wet clutch. With the exeption of the friction modifiers, MCV has a full compliment of additives and is an excellant choice for use in all three holes.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
The AMSOIL Guy

Old 03-17-2007, 03:25 PM
dbc14517
Novice

Ok Steve, one more question. Sorry, actually two. I understand that the FGR 75W-90 and MCV 20W-50 are different, but is either one going to provide better heat protection for the tranny versus the other? Will the tranny shift better or perform better one versus the other? The 75W-90 is a gear lube and slightly heavier?

Old 03-17-2007, 07:38 PM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: dbc14517

Ok Steve, one more question. Sorry, actually two. I understand that the FGR 75W-90 and MCV 20W-50 are different, but is either one going to provide better heat protection for the tranny versus the other? Will the tranny shift better or perform better one versus the other? The 75W-90 is a gear lube and slightly heavier?
As far as heat protection, one is as good as the other. Remember, if the 75W-90 gear lube and the 20W-50 motor oil were measured on the same scale, they would be the same weight. One is not heavier than the other.

The cooling effect of synthetic oil comes from the molecular structure of the synthetic oil. The molecules areuniform in size, shape and weight. Because of this, during use they tend to slip across one another much more easily than petroleum molecules which vary widely in size, shape and weight, less friction, less heat. Because of the varying sizes of molecules in petroleum, the heavier molecules tend to stay on the outside of a oil stream while the lighter molecules channel near the center of an oil stream. This channeling effect makes petroleum oil less efficient in cooling because the heavier slower moving molecules act as a blanket on your engines parts.

Since synthetic molecules are all uniform in size/weight/shape, they do not experience the channeling effect. Every molecule is as likely as the other to come into contact with hot surfaces and carry heat away to a place where it can be disapated.

As far as performance, shifting etc. being better with one over the other. My opinion is no.
I believe you will get good results from both. It boils down to what your comfortable with, MCV for all three holes, or FGR gear lube in the transmission.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
The AMSOIL Guy