Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

HD fluids

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 02:40 AM
Tompop
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD fluids

I have been reading these posts forweeks. I see there are many types of crankcase oil, primary oil, and tranny fluids being used, both regular fluids and synthetics. There are as many brands and types, as there are opinions of the best. Other than maybe the price of HD fluids, does anyone have any good reason that I shouldnt use the HD 360 20-50 in the crank. and the formula1 in the primary and the tranny? I think that if I change the fluids regularly, the HD stuff would be ok. Please, any comments or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2003 Dyna Wideglide [sm=confused06.gif]

Old 12-29-2006, 09:28 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts
Default RE: HD fluids

If you're changing at 2500 regularly you would probably be fine. The only suggestion I would offer is to reconsider the Formula+ in the tranny for a better heavy gear fluid like Amsoil or Redline. I use Formula+ in the primary without any problems, Mobil1 Vtwin in the crank and Amsoil SVG in the tranny.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:37 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I think that bike owners worry much more about the fluids used in their bikes than the bikes do themselves.

Use a good quality oil in the tranny, primary, and engine, change it and filters frequently, and you will be good to go.

Myself and some of the guys I ride with have been putting a lot of miles on Harleys (over 20K a year) since the early 1970's, and I don't recall anyone having a major problem that was oil/fluid related.

Maybe I should be more concerned about the fluids I use, but then again maybe I shouldn't. LoL...

I change out the engine oil and filter every 2,500 miles, and do the tranny and primary fluids every 5,000 miles. Probably more frequent than necessary, but changing oil and filters isn't that expensive. I just consider it cheap insurance.

I run Mobil 1 75W-90 in the tranny, and Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin in the engine and primary. It's a good quality oil, and has a JASO-MA rating making it safe to run in the primary. I don't see any reason to use anything else.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:12 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I use the synthetics because they are better and not much more of an investment. If you ride less than 5000 miles a year like I do then with synthetics you can change engine oil once a year. I like that capability. If you use Redline Shockproof Heavy or Amsoil 75w90 or Mobil175w90 synthetic gear oilsand you rideless than 5000 then you can easily go 2-3 years on the trans change. Same for the primary 10,000 miles easy with synthetics. I really like the heat reduction capability of the synthetics for an air cooled engine as well. To me definitely worth the $$.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:48 PM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any type of oil, dino or synthetic, will provide ADEQUATE lubrication when changed regularly. Synthetic oil will provide SUPERIOR lubrication and cooling properties that petroleum oil does not. Keep in mind that Syn 3 is nota true synthetic oil. If you are going to pay big money for a synthetic oil, be sure that you are getting a true synthetic.

nogood o~`o

Old 01-01-2007, 12:40 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Run some Havoline 20w-50. Better than the HD, and about $2/qt. Change it every 2500 - 3000 miles.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:36 AM
Tompop
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the advise. I really appreciate it. [sm=deal.gif]

Old 01-03-2007, 02:51 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Note: You can only run Havoline if you don't have any chrome on your bike...........

Old 01-03-2007, 05:41 PM
mpaquette
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Syn 3 is not truly synthetic? Then what do I purchase from HD that is synthetic if I choose to go that route? I want to buy something I can get in the store in case I need to add throughout the year. Purchasing Redline online isn't that appealing to me, especially if I need to add oil.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:57 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Syn3 appears to be a blend of synthetic and dino. Nobody knows for sure, as it's a closely guarded corporate secret. AFAIK, there is no pure synthetic with the H-D name on the label. The only PAO true synthetics are Redline, Royal Purple, and Amsoil. Maybe some of the M1 products, like their V-twin formula.

Quick Reply: HD fluids