Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

HD fluids

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 06:00 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HD fluids

Adding oil? Does your bike burn or leak oil?

Old 01-03-2007, 06:34 PM
mpaquette
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

No, just being a pessimist.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:54 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj

Run some Havoline 20w-50. Better than the HD, and about $2/qt. Change it every 2500 - 3000 miles.

.......HD can't make no money like that!

Mobil 1 Synthetic 20-50W V-Twin in the crank and primary and Mobil 1 75-90W Synthetic gear oil in the tranny seems to be working here. Not cheap, but accessible.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:52 AM
brian1
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would rather use a gear lube in the trans than something that is designed to do multi jobs. The trans is much harder on the lube than the primary is.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:46 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: mpaquette

Syn 3 is not truly synthetic? Then what do I purchase from HD that is synthetic if I choose to go that route? I want to buy something I can get in the store in case I need to add throughout the year. Purchasing Redline online isn't that appealing to me, especially if I need to add oil.
Syn3 is a GroupIII synthetic......not a bad oil at all. Group III is hydrocracked highly refined dino based oil. Everybody has 2 basic complaints with it. Neither are performance related.

1. HD syn3 is made by Citgo Petroleum which is run by Hugo Chavez...who hates us......well most of us anyway.
2. Syn3 is a group III priced the same as the group IV or group V oilsso whybuy it unless you are in a pinch?

Other than that syn3 is fine and a big improvement over HD360 dino. But I would not use it in your trans....get a 75w90 gear oil (GL-5 rated)

Old 01-04-2007, 11:47 PM
patriotmc
Road Captain

My HD wrench strongly advises against synthetics. He said that every engine problem they've had has used the synthentic. He recommends the normal HD oil and change every 2500-3000 miles. I know his evidence is purely antedotal (sp), but I trust him. I changed to synthetic at my first oil change on my 2003 Road King, but then back... never had any problems. I'll run regular oil in my Ultra when it comes in after I've put the breakin mileage on it. BTW... ole dumb me, I didn't know that I should be running premium gas in any EFI engine until talking to him recently... I'd run regular all the way on my last trip to Sturgis!

Old 01-05-2007, 03:40 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: patriotmc

My HD wrench strongly advises against synthetics. He said that every engine problem they've had has used the synthentic. He recommends the normal HD oil and change every 2500-3000 miles. I know his evidence is purely antedotal (sp), but I trust him. I changed to synthetic at my first oil change on my 2003 Road King, but then back... never had any problems. I'll run regular oil in my Ultra when it comes in after I've put the breakin mileage on it. BTW... ole dumb me, I didn't know that I should be running premium gas in any EFI engine until talking to him recently... I'd run regular all the way on my last trip to Sturgis!
I wonder if he has put any thought into the idea that if more and more folks are running synthetics, the odds are more and more people with problems will have synthetics - therefore merely a coincidence??????

Old 01-05-2007, 03:57 PM
mpaquette
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

I was thinking the same thing. I've also read numerous posts saying running this oil or that oil will void your warranty. Complete rubbish!

I plan on switching to Amsoil 20W-50 and Redline 75W-90 in the spring. Found an Amsoil seller right down the road.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:10 PM
jerry2005dyna
Novice

My local Harley but non dealership old school wrench told me that these engines were meant to be run on regular oil ... ??? I dunno , I asked at the dealer where I have always had my chages done if I should go synthetic and they said, "change it regularily and it won't make any difference" , she actually said (service person at Rocky's in London) that Synthetic gets dirty to and should be changed .... just stay with the regulat HD 20W50 ... now I have been doing that and changing oil regularily just popping by the dealer ... price was 39.99 with a chrome filter Canadian dollars ... I popped in at the end of our regular riding season in October for a oil change before storage. I Stepped up to the counter to pay the 40 plus tax ... to my shock and much displeasure ... the oil change was over $60 bucks ??? pretty steep price increase ... no warning ... I am looking for alternatives now as my patronage is a little sore right now !! perhaps Mobile 1? a full synthetic? too confusing .. lol

Old 01-06-2007, 09:11 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Hello all,

How about an evo engine with 24,000 miles that have run nothing but HD dino products? Yes, I have been reading these many threads on oils also.If I am like all other HD owners I know, I only want the best for my bike, because I own the best bike. My overview of the best products are Mobil 1 v-twin 20w50 for crank, Mobil 1 75-90 for trans and HD primary fluid. If I switch to the Mobil 1 products, will I experience any differences? good or bad!

Quick Reply: HD fluids