Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

What's with Amsoil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just want to add, I am no motorhead by far so I will listen to people when they give me their point of view (just like I do here on the forum), so yes, I listened to my nephew because he has much more experience than I do with motors. I live in a big race area outside Indianapolis (Brownsburg, Indiana), with many race teams in this area and frequent a guy's shop that races bikes at O'Reilly Park (just down the road), and have had numerous people recommend Amsoil, so I figured it was worth a try.
I don't know what everything in those oil threads mean, I'm sure a lot of you guys do know, but I could see Amsoil graded very well, as did some of the other oils, so again, I figured it was worth a try.... I never had to pay for the preferred customer deal because I get it through another forum where the preferred customer is offered free to forum members by the fella that sells it there, so again, I figured why not try it.... I am not a dealer, just a customer who is happy with the product.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Bluegrasser
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Galdog
Just want to add, I am no motorhead by far so I will listen to people when they give me their point of view (just like I do here on the forum), so yes, I listened to my nephew because he has much more experience than I do with motors. I live in a big race area outside Indianapolis (Brownsburg, Indiana), with many race teams in this area and frequent a guy's shop that races bikes at O'Reilly Park (just down the road), and have had numerous people recommend Amsoil, so I figured it was worth a try.
I don't know what everything in those oil threads mean, I'm sure a lot of you guys do know, but I could see Amsoil graded very well, as did some of the other oils, so again, I figured it was worth a try.... I never had to pay for the preferred customer deal because I get it through another forum where the preferred customer is offered free to forum members by the fella that sells it there, so again, I figured why not try it.... I am not a dealer, just a customer who is happy with the product.
Don't take this thread the wrong way. I'll never begrudge anyone for what they buy for their bike. It's not the customers that bug me. It's Amsoil.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior

As I mentioned, I was running Mobil 1, and it was the best oil I had put in the bike since I bought it (this was after HD dino, HD syn, Royal Purple, etc.), and I was suspect of the oil studies when I first read them, but after many people mentioned Amsoil, I tried it and am happy with it (shifting in particular is smoother than any other oil). There's so many oils out there, and everyone has their favorites, it's all good....

Old 02-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bluegrasser
Don't take this thread the wrong way. I'll never begrudge anyone for what they buy for their bike. It's not the customers that bug me. It's Amsoil.
Nah, that's cool! I like reading the debates, you can always learn something from them! I wish it could be bought in the stores around here like some places, but sitting down watching the race (as I am doing now) with my laptop, and possibly dropping an email to order some if I need it really isn't that much harder than running to a store and picking it up. I also go to Columbus, Ohio to visit my son quite often and there is a dealer just off I-70 in Greenfield if I need it, or I can pick it up in Columbus at their warehouse. Just takes a little planning ahead, but I always have extra oil supplies on hand so never in dire need. It's really not that hard to get, but true, not as easy as some of the oils.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:04 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

hd4eve2008, are you really that %$#@ stupid???
You keep harping on nobody has the guts to post a price for Amsoil. What the %$# do you think I did in Post 61??? Every dealer that sells it has the price on the shelf. It's just not sinking into that grey matter of yours.

What the hell does the multi level marketing have to do with anything(except to **** you off for whatever reason I don't know)??? I only know of one level - mine. The end price is what's important to a customer. How many time do you think the price of a quart of oil (or any commodity) is added to between the mfg and the store shelf??

I wouldn't care if the oil had to be shipped to England and back again and then have to pay a kickback to 10 CEO's as long as the price was right, and for me and thousands of others it is. Are you against free enterprise? Why do you (and others)care so much about how some people make money. Does it hurt you in some way?

You're half right on the Auto Zone thing. I just didn't pursue it far enough. I stopped at where it said click here for "availability and price information" and then enter zip code. I though the price would be right there on the first page you open. That's your way of thinking isn't it, not having to jump through hoops?

You said "Have you ever gone to a store and picked up an item, ask the clerk how much it cost, and they said "you'll have to e-mail the manufacturer to get the price"? " HUH? Who in the world does that?? Amsoil doesn't. You can get the price on their website or you can find a dealer and ask him for the price or you can go to the store and see the price on the shelf. How is any of that a problem? Then you can order it and have it delivered to your door. You don't even have to go outside in the cold.

I doubt you'll ever give up on trying to get "that info" because even though I've given it to you so many times before, you keep asking for it.

You're right - I call like it is and I think everyone else can sees that now. Thank you

Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,921 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
hd4eve2008, are you really that %$#@ stupid???
You keep harping on nobody has the guts to post a price for Amsoil. What the %$# do you think I did in Post 61??? Every dealer that sells it has the price on the shelf. It's just not sinking into that grey matter of yours.

What the hell does the multi level marketing have to do with anything(except to **** you off for whatever reason I don't know)??? I only know of one level - mine. The end price is what's important to a customer. How many time do you think the price of a quart of oil (or any commodity) is added to between the mfg and the store shelf??

I wouldn't care if the oil had to be shipped to England and back again and then have to pay a kickback to 10 CEO's as long as the price was right, and for me and thousands of others it is. Are you against free enterprise? Why do you (and others)care so much about how some people make money. Does it hurt you in some way?

You're half right on the Auto Zone thing. I just didn't pursue it far enough. I stopped at where it said click here for "availability and price information" and then enter zip code. I though the price would be right there on the first page you open. That's your way of thinking isn't it, not having to jump through hoops?

You said "Have you ever gone to a store and picked up an item, ask the clerk how much it cost, and they said "you'll have to e-mail the manufacturer to get the price"? " HUH? Who in the world does that?? Amsoil doesn't. You can get the price on their website or you can find a dealer and ask him for the price or you can go to the store and see the price on the shelf. How is any of that a problem? Then you can order it and have it delivered to your door. You don't even have to go outside in the cold.

I doubt you'll ever give up on trying to get "that info" because even though I've given it to you so many times before, you keep asking for it.

You're right - I call like it is and I think everyone else can sees that now. Thank you
Did you forget your medication this morning?

Old 02-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Freeway
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bluegrasser, not once has anyone on this thread bragged about how Amsoil will work miracles.
Bullsh!t. Not going to go back through and figure out who, but someone here claimed that Amsoil made his bike run cooler. Someone else claimed his bike "likes it better." One oil running cooler than another? A bike expressing an opinion? Miracles!!!

I don't have a stake in it because I don't make any money from it.
Bullsh!t. You may not make money from it, but you're a dealer. You have some kind of stake in it, even if it's just emotional.

When has an Amsoil dealer/user called you names when you BRAG about you brand of oil???
This thread. You.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:17 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Freeway

1. Saying your bike runs cooler isn't a miracle. Saying it gets 200mpg is a miracle. Don't you know what the meaning of a miracle is???

2. I'll say it again for you, but I'll say it slowly so even you can understand it.
I d o n ' t h a v e a s t a k e i n i t.
If Amsoil went out of business tomorrow, big deal, I wouldn't lose anything. I'd just buy another brand of oil.

3. Only after the moron kept making stupid comments, I couldn't stop myself. But of course I was refering to past posts up to that point, but I guess you didn't comprehend that statement.

Hope you get a larger vocabulary soon. Saying Bullsh!t over and over again is a little monotonous. Try these sometime.

Taken from Synonyms, Thesaurus & Antonyms of 'bullshit'
bull, diddly-squat, diddly, squat, hoot, diddlyshit, dogshit, doodly-squat, bullshit, pig, diddly-****, ****, son of a bitch, crap, tinker's damn, damn, *****, bastard, horseshit, turd, dirt, *******, diddley, papal bull, tinker's dam, diddlysquat, shucks, red cent, dump, copper, bull's eye, whoreson, poop

Have a nice day.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:40 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

There used to be a product (oil additive) around called Slick 50 that made all kinds of grandiose claims about making your engine last longer and improving mileage. Government regulators took them to court in this country (Canada) saying prove it or stop making the claims. Needless to say they've since pulled their TV commercials and magazine adds and removed any similar claims from the product packaging. This is because they could not actually prove any of these claims in a scientific manner. You can still buy Slick 50 but it collects dust on the store shelves now and I've seen it discounted to next to nothing. There is a similarity to some of the claims made about certain engine oils in this thread. I'm sure any expensive synthetic engine oil is good but show us some independent studies that prove it is actually better than any other brand name (and possibly cheaper) synthetic oil. You'll be much more believable this way.

If I had a product that was better than the competition the first thing I would do is invite independent labs, consumer reports, fleet operators, etc. to do their own scientific, documented, comparison tests to prove, yeah it really is better. So where are these tests?

Last edited by fat_tony; 02-29-2012 at 02:55 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:36 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Fat_Tony, other then Amsoil's White Papers, I haven't seen any other comprehensive tests. Their tests do show other brands are better then thiers in some catagories. Amsoil has said just because they paid for the tests, the testers where in no way beholding to them. I'm sure the naysayers will never believe that, so be it.
Until another brand does a comprehensive and unbiased test, I will go with the one that is out there and hasn't been contested, which I'm sure would have been if there was any fudging of the results.

Too bad there isn't a tester that all parties can agree upon and then all parties pitch in the money to do a completely thourough test. I don't know if there is anyone that everyone will believe. I have a feeling that most of the oils will be within a very small group of each other.

Other then Slick50 - remember STP? They don't advertise anymore either. I remember Andy Granateli showing how slippery STP was. I even tried the test and it did do as he demonstrated. Whether it did to the engine as he said it would, I don't know.

Quick Reply: What's with Amsoil?