Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Harley Approved Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Approved Oil?

Where can I find out what oil is approved by Harley as to not void ones warranty? I want to swith over to Syn. Oil...

And who has heard of MOTUL 7100 20/50 Oil? I was told it's one of the best?

Thanks

Ride Safe,

Old 12-16-2006, 07:58 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Harley Approved Oil?

If you listen to Harley, they will tell you that only their oil is approved when in fact any oil that meets or exceeds the manufacturers specs can be used safely without any warrantee problems. If they tell you different, tell them to put it in writing for you

Bet they don't

Old 12-16-2006, 08:08 PM
bear95252
Cruiser

Any synthetic oil that meets the API spec in your service manuel can be used. Motul is the most expensive synthetic you can buy but it is definetly not the best. There is a Synthetic Oil Study at www.amsoil.com that rates the 16 synthetic 20W /50 oils formulated for use in Motorcycles. Motul rankes 9 out of 16. Even Harley Syn 3 is better. It is rated #6. The 3 top oils are Amsoil MCV, Mobil 1 V Twin and BMW. Yes, I know, it is an AMSOIL test but all the testing was conducted using ASTM Federal Testing Standards which means the test results can be duplicated by ANYONE using the same standards. You pays your money you takes your choice. As for warranty issues, you can refer to the Magnuson Moss Act. (google it) It will protect you should there ever be a warranty issue.

For your info there are dozens of posts in this forum dealing with this very issue at nausium. Take the time to READ a little bit.

Good Luck

Old 12-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

API Specs? I've looked through my Owners and Service manuals and can't find it yet...

And what about Weight for the 3 holes?
I pretty much know the Engine should have the 20/50 right?
And the Trans? 75/90?
Primary???

Old 12-16-2006, 10:11 PM
bear95252
Cruiser

I use AMSOIL MCV 20W50 in the Engine and Primary. AMSOIL SVG 75W90 in the Transmission and either AMSOIL 20W50 or 10W40 in the primary. Either one is ok.

The Mobil products are good also. Lots of folks on this forum like Redline and use it with no problems but Redline is not formulated for Motorcycle use.

Ride Safe

Old 12-17-2006, 05:06 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The spec HD gives is any oil above 40 degrees F. 20w50 meeting engine oil designations CF-4, CG-4,CH-4 and CI-4. Which means any of the motorcycle rated 20w50 oils will be fine. Harley 360 dino, Harley Syn3, Mobil1Vtwin or Amsoil MCV, Royal Purple 20w50 Motorcycle, and I do believe Motul is acceptable. If you have more than 3000 miles you can use Redline 20w50 as well. None of the motorcycle oils will void your warranty. I run the Mobil1Vtwin because my engine runs better with it than the HD Syn3 that I tried. BTW, HD 360 & Syn3 are made by Citgo.

If you switch to Syn3 and get top end valve clatter under acceleration.......try the Mobil1Vtwin....then that noise will go away.

Old 12-25-2006, 10:17 PM
IRready
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobil one V Twin 20-50 in crank
Mobile one 75-90 gear lube in tranny
HD Primary oil

Do it and forget about it. Exceeds ALL HD requirements and well proven. Amsoil is an equally good choice. STAY away from Syn 3 in your tranny. In fact stay away from it completely.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:00 AM
o2man98
Novice

HD admits that other brand oils will not void your warranty in this letter.
http://www.modernoils.com/HDWarranty.html

Old 01-06-2007, 09:24 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Hello all,

How about an evo engine with 24,000 miles that have run nothing but HD dino products? Yes, I have been reading these many threads on oils also.If I am like all other HD owners I know, I only want the best for my bike, because I own the best bike. My overview of the best products are Mobil 1 v-twin or AMSOIL 20w50 for crank, Mobil 1 75-90 for trans and HD primary fluid. If I switch to the Mobil 1 products, will I experience any differences? good or bad!
I would appreciate some wrenches replying. Thanks!!

Old 01-10-2007, 10:59 AM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: o2man98

HD admits that other brand oils will not void your warranty in this letter.
http://www.modernoils.com/HDWarranty.html
Theres a little something called the "Magnusson-Moss" act that encourages HD to "Admit" this truth.

It is true that the OEM, in this case HD does extensive research on the recommended brand of oil. The bulk of that reasearch revolves around marketing. How it will play to the consumers "ear". In turn how well it will line the pockets of the HD executives. The reasearch also revolves around what in the industry is known as predictive failure. The failure of both the lubricant and the machine. When the lubricant fails, at 3000 to 5000 miles what do you do? Right, you buy more. When the machine fails, what do you do? I think you get the point. No OEM wants thier lube or machine to last forever. If it did,what would they have to do. In HD's case, when the motor company was forced several years ago to step up to the plate with quality, in turn decreasing revenue from service and parts. We bikers suddenly had motorcycle shops that devoted 50% of thier floor space to clothing and accessories. You know, $25.00 t-shirts, $50.00 gloves etc.
The OEM wants you to believe its rocket science, but a little self education will show you that as a consumer, your choices are nearly endless.

Steve

Quick Reply: Harley Approved Oil?