Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Amsoil - vs - red line oil -vs - royal purple?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:28 AM
MysticTraveler
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Engine - can't go wrong with any quality synthetic IMO. I run Red Line 20w60, due to our very hot summer season here in the arid southwest.

Tranny - I don't think you can find a better choice than Red Line w/ shockproof.

Primary - again, I run Red Line primary fluid (same as their MTL). Probably overkill. Many think any 10w40 without friction modifiers is OK in the primary, and I can't argue with that.

My bike is very happy running Red Line in all three holes!

Old 01-12-2012, 11:40 AM
dylder
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Mobile 1 in the engine and redline in the other 2 holes. Change every 5000 miles. Had my tensioners checked at 28000 this winter and was told they looked like new.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Mobile 1 in the engine
Redline in the trans
haven't changed the primary yet (have 5500 on the bike)

I will be opening her up to do some engine mods in a couple of weeks, will see what things look like.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:13 PM
hondo1
Tourer

Redline all 3 holes.

Big Red

Old 01-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Eight Songs
Intermediate
Default Oil

so here is my 2 cents on oil...

being someone who has both a high performance Italian Sport Bike and a SoftTail HD and many many years of riding as well as working for one of the top 3 oil companies on the globe my thoughts on Oil are this....

Buy whats on sale !!!

I have this discussion with my father all the time....maybe 30-40 years ago the standard of changing your oil in your car or bike at every 5K made sense as back then the quality and grade of product would promote such a schedule for " some " who had high performance cars or bikes. Jump ahead to 2012 and look at what products are available today and for some reason for most of us " including me " we still for some reason still believe that we should or must change our oil at about every 5K even though the quality of product is Light Years beyond those products of the past. Most of us have a pretty strong passion for our toys and we like to ensure that things are always top notch regardless of costs in most cases. For my Ducati I change the oil normally twice a year and with the High Performance Full Synthetic oil I put in it I am in absolutely no way even close to being to the point of the oil being at its breakdown point when I change it again. Same for my HD...by the time I change the oil regardless what brand I buy the oil is not even close to being ready for a true change !!! For myself for this reason I normally buy what ever is on sale that day as I know that it will be changed again long before it breaks down. from reading on this site a bit I can see that a lot of folks are the same way...we change our fluids long before they really really need to be. So in the end I buy product under a couple rules....is it on sale and does it have good reputation. Any of the major players will fit the bill almost all the time... Shell Advance, Quaker State " still Shel ", Motormaster " still Shell " . Mobil 1, Penzoil " more Shell " Amsoil, Repsol....etc etc etc...they are all good and are more than most of us need. The other rule I have is " does it make me feel good " I buy oil that I think makes me have the best available at the time. I have been running very expensive and high performing Italian motorcycles for years and I have never ever ever had any issues at all with going by this guide line. I have had my HD For a few years now and again no issues at all....!!! I am sure there will be lots of folks who will dissagree and that is okay...its good to have a discussion for both sides....this is just my 2 cents.

Cheers and good luck...

The following users liked this post:
boston jim (04-08-2017)
Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My only expierence with Redline is the shockproof in the transmission replacing the HD syn3. Massive improvement. Haven't tried anything else in the transmission so cannot comment on other products.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:43 AM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 229 Posts

Redline in all 3:

- Engine: 20W50
- Primary: MTL
- Tranny: Shockproof Heavy

Old 01-13-2012, 04:14 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, when I started this thread I said I was a die hard Amsoil fan and user. I even said I was 99.99% sure I would never change but that I have not read all of your comments as of yet. Well, after reading all the replies I think I am interested in trying the Redline shockwave in my tranny. The peoblem now is I have looked into it and I can't find anyone around that sells the stuff!! Whats up with that? Where and how does one get it? If it is so good and so popular why can't I find any? In any case, thanks for all the input and replies. That is the great thing about this site. There is so much information and so much experiance here for people to use and take advantage of.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:46 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Availability can be an issue, it is for me. I walk in to my local auto part place and the stuff is there and a a good price. Sure I can find it on the interwebs but sometimes I feel like I buying AMWAY where the product isn't the thing it's more of a pyramid scheme.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:16 PM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
The peoblem now is I have looked into it and I can't find anyone around that sells the stuff!! Whats up with that?
Im lucky the guy i get it from lives 2 streets away and brings it home for me to collect. Great neighbours price too.

Quick Reply: Amsoil - vs - red line oil -vs - royal purple?