Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Cooler Results

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 02:17 AM
chops
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Cooler Results

Bob,
Cool! Fellow drummer!
I have a Pearl kit that is getting age'd now but still looks new. 24" kick that is like thunder. Kind of hard to gig with it though. Zildian all around.

DJK, don't know what to say, not sure of your setup.
Mine is a Jagg vertical between downtubes with Jagg adapter, no Tstat, 225 is as high as it goes now. I do have my EFI dialed in fairly well with a SERT, don't know if yours is running lean or what to be so hot. Mine calls for 3.5 qts stock, and I can get about 4 qts in with the cooler

Later

Old 12-08-2006, 01:43 PM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Try it out in the desert at 115* & see if it works!!!! I will use the cooler. 2 days at the temps you had is not a true test. Sorry

Old 12-09-2006, 02:31 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Have any of you guys tried Redlines 20w60HD synthetic oil for the Summer down there?

Old 12-09-2006, 10:30 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

Have any of you guys tried Redlines 20w60HD synthetic oil for the Summer down there?
My 2007 FLSTC is a stock bike. (Yes, I'm one of only 3 owners in the country that has no engine/exhaust mods) Any meaningful tune job might void my 2 year warranty, but that is another thread. I have to face the fact that air-cooled engines are not very efficient at throwing off heat unless they are constantly moving. I'm thinking about removing the t-stat in the oil cooler just to make sure that the valve is not sticking. Here in S. Florida, I don't have to worry that the engine won't reach operating temps with the t-stat removed. I am considering the Sert, AC, Exhaust route on my bike, as it comes from the factory so lean that I should be getting 70 mpg.

DJK

Old 12-09-2006, 07:12 PM
NEONNIGHT34609
Road Captain

removing the thermostat will make it take longer for the engine to reach opperating temps .. this is not good on an air cooled engine . as for 20w 60 that just seems alittle too thick for my likings . synthetic oils help and can take more heat anything u do ( oil cooler ) to remove heat from the engine will help even if its a few degrees..
ORIGINAL: djkolp

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

My 2007 FLSTC is a stock bike. (Yes, I'm one of only 3 owners in the country that has no engine/exhaust mods) Any meaningful tune job might void my 2 year warranty, but that is another thread. I have to face the fact that air-cooled engines are not very efficient at throwing off heat unless they are constantly moving. I'm thinking about removing the t-stat in the oil cooler just to make sure that the valve is not sticking. Here in S. Florida, I don't have to worry that the engine won't reach operating temps with the t-stat removed. I am considering the Sert, AC, Exhaust route on my bike, as it comes from the factory so lean that I should be getting 70 mpg.

DJK

Old 12-19-2006, 06:50 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Has anyone done an 06 Ultra, and does it help in high humidity/temp. conditions or does it effect it???

Old 12-22-2006, 10:21 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: pittguy

Not much is going help the heat other than fuel upgrade including exh,AC.The cooler has no airflow sitting in traffic,theres no fan per say like your car/truck.It was meant for cooling while bike is moving.Granted the extra capacity will help.Not sure of your oil cooler type but if it has the chrome cover removing that restriction may help more.
I removed the chrome cover and the temps have come down considerably. 205 degrees while cruising, and 225 degrees sitting in traffic. The chrome cover allowed only the cooling fins to be exposed. Having the other 30 percent of the oil cooler open to airflow has really enhanced the efficiency of the HD oil cooler.

DJK

Old 12-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Snobal
Tourer

dgriffith,

In answer to your question -- I have a stock'06 Ultra withthe HD super premium oil cooler.

Went coast-to-coast in July, a trip of a little over 8,200 miles with a widerange of temps and humidity. I checked the oil temp frequently, and most of the time it was about 220 degrees. On really hot days, it would sometimes get up to 230 degrees while putting along at 70 to 75 mph.The highest temp I have seen on that bike with the oil cooler has been242 in stop-an-go traffic - but like someone else said, as soon as you get moving, the temp drops back down to normal.

By the way, the HD service manual for the '06 Ultra states in several places that "Normal operating temp for oil is 230 degrees." With the oil cooler, the bike seldom sees 230 degrees. At this time of year in Northern Arizona, the oil only gets up to about 205.
Hope this helps.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Snobal
Tourer

dgriffith,

I forgot to mention that I was using Syn 3 oil andkeptthe lowers on for the 8,200 mile trip.

I tried closing and opening the doors in the lowers butdid not notice any change in oil temp - but with the doors closed, I got lots more heat - the doors seem to be made for rider comfort. After the trip I moved from Northern Nevada to Arizona. Here in Arizona, I completelyremoved the lowers and the rear jug seems to run much, much cooler - and so do I. I plan to store the lowers until I sell the bike or move back to a cooler climate.

Also, someone in this thread mentioned that with an oil cooler installed, when they changed the oil, it still only takes 4 quarts. Yes, that is correct. The cooler is mounted below the oil filter and does notdrain when you change your oil. The first time you add oil after installing either of the HD oil coolers, the bike will takeadditional oil, after that, you are back to the normal amount.

I also putHD oil coolers on my '91 FXRS-Con and '00 FLHT, never had any problems with either and both worked as advertised.

Having said all that, it you plan to ride in a lot of stop & go traffic, the fan kitwould probably work better for you but I have nottried one because I very seldom ride in stop & go traffic and being retired military, Ido not do parades

Old 12-22-2006, 03:35 PM
MiniMe
Road Master

I love these threads, they pop up every few months. To me installing an oil cooler on an air cooled motor is like installing a radiator in a vehicle with no cooling fans. With out those cooling fans your vehicle will overheat. No air movement = no cooling. Now if you really want to benefit from an oil cooler install a fan on it. Then you will see some real temp drops. Thisis my opinion which is bases on fact.

An air cooled motor is more sensitive then a water cooled motor. Therefore tuning is very important. If your bike is running hot then richen the fuel mixture or install an engine fan.I would not waist my money on an oil cooler that would function better as a $300.00 paperweight.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Results