Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Check your Mobil 1 VTwin bottle.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:19 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Check your Mobil 1 VTwin bottle.....

I'm always scouting for the lowest price for the Mobil 1 so while I was in Autozone this weekend having my 5 gal jug dumped I walked over to the oil section to pick up a few quarts and I notice there's a new jug color. The bike (looks like a RK?) on the front and it says the same thing the dark charcoal jug has with one important exception, the JASO MA is no longer on the back of the label?. It say API SL but the motorcycle approved designation is no longer there. The jug is a lite blue color. I asked the attendant and he said the API SG that was on the JASO jub is inclusive in the SL. Oil is evolving and it wont be too long when oil will include all additives usable in any vehicle. I had no answer for him, I just know my scoot needs to have the JASO MA for me to use in a motorcycle. When I got home I looked up the SG and SL designation and it says nothing about the SL including the JASO MA criteria.
Since I know there's some pretty knowledgeable oil peeps on this site I thought I would put this out there and start a discussion......whose first?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:58 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
(Snip some)
I had no answer for him, I just know my scoot needs to have the JASO MA for me to use in a motorcycle.
(Snip some more)
Why do you think you have to have the JASO MA designation to use in your bike? That standard simply says its OK to use in wet clutches. As an HD engine oil it is not necessary, nor is it needed if you choose to dump it in a BT tranny. Now, if you're using it in your primary it might matter, but then many use non-muttersickle and non-JASO MA oil in the primary with no problems.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:05 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

From the Mobil1Vtwin product data sheet on their website:

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 and Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 4-cycle motorcycle oils

Maximum shear stability to help resist viscosity shear down in high performance engines and transmissions
Exceptional thermal stability to help resist oxidation and high-temperature degradation
Outstanding protection against wear of engine and transmission components
Enhanced lubrication to help maintain maximum power and acceleration over the life of the engine
Optimized wet-clutch performance, meets JASO MA
Excellent low temperature flow characteristics to help minimize engine wear during start-up

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 synthetic motor oil is also designed to help provide the proper frictional characteristics necessary for wet-clutch engine/transmission systems. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 meets or exceeds the requirements of API Service Categories SM, SL, SJ, SH, and JASO MA. It has been fully tested, both on laboratory dynamometers and in the field, to help provide optimum horsepower and acceleration.

Might be best to use the 10w40 in your primary.

My new Tbird has a 4.1quart shared sump and takes 10w40 or 10w50 synthetic.

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 09-13-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:49 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

So what your saying then is don't worry about the JASO no longer being marked on the bottle label because the data sheet shows its all covered and the Jaso MA is primarily for wet clutch application requirements that Twin Cams need no such requirements and to use it with confidence?

Old 09-14-2011, 07:12 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

My question is to why bother using $10/qt oil in your primary? 10w-40 dino/15w-40 Rotella works fine. Heck, 5w-40 syn rotella for $6 even a cheaper option...

Old 09-14-2011, 07:19 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by troop
My question is to why bother using $10/qt oil in your primary? 10w-40 dino/15w-40 Rotella works fine. Heck, 5w-40 syn rotella for $6 even a cheaper option...
I agree.

NAPA has Mobil 1 15W50 on sale right now for under 6 bucks a qt. (Until end of Sept 11.)

Just don't put it in your primary ... too slippery

Old 09-14-2011, 07:21 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
So what your saying then is don't worry about the JASO no longer being marked on the bottle label because the data sheet shows its all covered and the Jaso MA is primarily for wet clutch application requirements that Twin Cams need no such requirements and to use it with confidence?
I'm pretty sure that's what he's implying. That's why many of us use Mobil 1
15-50 at less than half the cost. Not advisable in the primary tho.

Last edited by nvsteve; 09-14-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

My interest in this topic is that my S&S 107 'demands' Mobil 1 V-Twin oil, but over here in the UK it is like dynosaur milk to find and costs a bomb. I would really like an alternative oil, so will take a closer look at other Mobils with renewed interest! It is out of warranty now, so I feel easier about looking around.

Last edited by grbrown; 09-14-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mobil 1 is a group 3 basestock which is conventional. The only "real" synthetic they make anymore is the EP line. I read about them suing castrol and the whole synthetic labeling and my days of supporting that company are over. They are scamming the general uninformed public. Use what you want guys but I will never buy another mobil product again. Rotella t5 or t6 is a great prOduct. Cheaper too

Old 09-14-2011, 12:18 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by troop
Agreed I'm using Rotella T 15-40 in my primary its all the primary needs. But what's this Mobil 1 15-50 from napa for $6 cheeper....does it claim to be full synth?

Quick Reply: Check your Mobil 1 VTwin bottle.....