Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Another "when to go Syn" Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 03:17 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Another "when to go Syn" Question

I don't want to debate in this thread whether or not it is useful to go to a synthetic oil, or which synthetic is better than the next because Castro didn't make it or because its made from real synthetic bases versus recycled dino bases, etc. That horse has been beaten pretty good already.

Just assume for this thread that the decision has been made to take a new bike to synthetic oil in the engine, primary, and transmission. Is there a legitimate, factually based consensus on WHEN that transition should be made?

CVO bikes come with Syn3 off the showroom floor do they not? Dealer A told me to switch at my 1000 mile service. Dealer B told me not to switch until after 2500 miles at the earliest or I'd screw it up with all kinds of slipperly synthetic oil slipping past the rings. That's three different mileages: 0-ish, 1000, 2500+. What is the official Harley Davison policy on this? There must be a service bulletin or somthing that documents the details.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:45 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RE: Another "when to go Syn" Question

ORIGINAL: bensonjv

I don't want to debate in this thread whether or not it is useful to go to a synthetic oil, or which synthetic is better than the next because Castro didn't make it or because its made from real synthetic bases versus recycled dino bases, etc. That horse has been beaten pretty good already.

Just assume for this thread that the decision has been made to take a new bike to synthetic oil in the engine, primary, and transmission. Is there a legitiamte, factually based consensus on WHEN that transition should be made?

CVO bikes come with Syn3 off the showroom floor do they not? Dealer A told me to switch at my 1000 mile service. Dealer B told me not to switch until after 2500 miles at the earliest or I'd screw it up with all kinds of slipperly synthetic oil slipping past the rings. That's three different mileages: 0-ish, 1000, 2500+. What is the official Harley Davison policy on this? There must be a service bulletin or somthing that documents the details.

You can change it as soon as you get it home. Why waste oil. Change it at the first fluid service.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:32 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

What wlbowers said.

Sammi

Old 11-20-2006, 03:36 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:02 PM
TMace
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hold on their cowboy!!! You should switch to synthetics when you think your motor is broken in. Synthetics are slicker than regular oil and therefore the breakin period is longer if running from day 1! Having been a mechanic for, well over 20 years I can tell you that if you change to synthetics too soon your engine will take longer to break in, if at all. Best to wait at least until you get around 1000 miles on the bike or longer. Changing to synthetics can be done at any time but switching back is kind of tricky. Some seals do not react well going back and forth so it is best to stay with what ever oil your going to use. I have also seen seals compatable with one oil (full synthetic) and not compatible with another (synthetic blend) cause the seals to become somewhat sticky.. This is bad when the seals are expected to move as in some o-ring applications. Therefore sticking with the manufacture recommended specs is critical.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:14 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I can tell you that if you change to synthetics too soon your engine will take longer to break in, if at all.
Not so!

Didn't you see what was posted
CVO bikes come with Syn3 off the showroom floor do they not?

Visit a harley showroom and see that the CVO models come from the factory with synthetics in them!
Same break in periods too as non synthetic bikes.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:22 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

What you have to be concerned about is the flat spots on the bearings with synthetic oil

Old 11-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Budz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Redline staes on their 20W60HD oil to use after 3,000 miles. Marketing hype or valid info.? The only concern I have is to get the rings well seated during breakin. Waiting won't hurt your motor and maybe changing over to synthetic will have no effect whatsoever. Of course everybody knows that there is no difference between Mobil 1, Amsoil, and dino oil.
I have not ever read or heard any definitive answer. Make yourself happy and ride. The MOCO will only give you an answer that it's OK to use their oils.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:18 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I broke my bike in on Syn3 at 100 miles. Then changed to Mobil1 Vtwin at 1000 miles and will go 100% Redline at 3000. BUt the guy who said either stay dino oil or synthetic is correct. Also, the break-in will be a bit longer with synthetics but that is not bad as synthetics will give you better burnished parts inside the engine. I use synthetics for 1 reason only and that is they reduce heat in your air cooled motorcycle. Mobil1 & Redline & Amsoil will all go to 400F before they burn out which is way past the point where you will shut the bike down. So, it's cheap engine insurance IMO........

BTW: Harley Syn3 is a Group III synthetic and is good but the other 3 I mentioned are better for the same $$.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:06 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bensonjv

Is there a legitimate, factually based consensus on WHEN that transition should be made?
Obviously, the answer is "No, there is no solid scientific/factual basis for any of the above answers. Redline says 3K miles. Keith Craft recommends 5K. Ford Racing simply says, ".. after the break in."

I think the general consensus is to switch to synthetic after the break in period. Again, a vague statement, since nobody can really decide what a good break in period is. I think a good break in means 2-3 hours of run time, gentle acceleration and deceleration under closed throttle, and a few heat/cool cycles. I've used those guidelines for three Harleys and I don't know how many small block V8's.

I swithced to synthetic on this bike at the 1K mile service.

Quick Reply: Another "when to go Syn" Question