Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Another "when to go Syn" Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 03:26 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RE: Another "when to go Syn" Question

ORIGINAL: TMace

Hold on their cowboy!!! You should switch to synthetics when you think your motor is broken in. Synthetics are slicker than regular oil and therefore the breakin period is longer if running from day 1! Having been a mechanic for, well over 20 years I can tell you that if you change to synthetics too soon your engine will take longer to break in, if at all. Best to wait at least until you get around 1000 miles on the bike or longer. Changing to synthetics can be done at any time but switching back is kind of tricky. Some seals do not react well going back and forth so it is best to stay with what ever oil your going to use. I have also seen seals compatable with one oil (full synthetic) and not compatible with another (synthetic blend) cause the seals to become somewhat sticky.. This is bad when the seals are expected to move as in some o-ring applications. Therefore sticking with the manufacture recommended specs is critical.
Yho Bubba!!! The only reason not to go with Mobil V-Twin as soon as you get home with your MC, is You Are Too Busy Riding

Take longer to break in? Here we go with that too slippery oil crap. BS!

Myth: You should break in your engine with conventional oil, then switch to a synthetic oil like Mobil 1.

Reality: You can start using Mobil 1® in new vehicles at any time, even in brand new vehicles.

If a company is having problems with their synthetic and recommend you don't use them till X000 miles, Stay away from them.

If an synthetic oil says not to mix it with conventional oil. Stay away from them. I have actually seen it on an oil can.

Mobil 1 is original equipment fill (it is installed at the factory) in:

Acura RDX
Aston Martin
Bentley Amage and Bentley GT
Cadillac CTS, CTS-V, XLR, XLR-V, SRX and STS and STS-V
Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06
Chevrolet SSR
Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS
Chrysler 300C SRT-8 and Crossfire SRT-6
Cobalt SS
Dodge Ram SRT-10
Dodge Charger SRT-8, Magnum, and Viper
Jeep Cherokee SRT-8
Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles
Mercedes SLR
Mitsubishi EVO III
Pontiac GTO
All Porsche vehicles
Saturn Red Line
Viper SRT-10

S&S Motorcycle Engines Uses Mobil Synthetic V-Twin as factory fill

Harley Davidson ships Syn 3 as factory fill in the following:

FXDSE
FXSTSSE
FLHRSE
FLHTCUSE

What attacks the o-rings and seals is acids and other build up in the oil from going 30,000 miles with out changing the oil and filter. Or the wierd additives that people think are the cats meow and the chemicals in them swell the seals and o-rings.

The only thing that is not recommended for use with synthetic oil is the mazda with the rotary engine. That's because it injects oil into the combustion chamber.

Change it to synthetic when you get it home if that's what you want to do.

I run Mobil Synthetic V-Twin in the engine and primary. Mobil 75/90 synthetic gear oil in the transmission.

Old 11-23-2006, 02:09 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Another "when to go Syn" Question

ORIGINAL: bensonjv

I don't want to debate in this thread whether or not it is useful to go to a synthetic oil, or which synthetic is better than the next because Castro didn't make it .

I didn't know Cuba had any oil wells.
You can use syn oil exactly the same as you use dino oil.