Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

First 5K oil change - a mess

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 01:06 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First 5K oil change - a mess

I changed my oils for the first time today (dealer did the 1K) and all went well until I drained the motor oil. Dang stuff went all over the place - I must have had a qt on the floor. I use a lift but the container was hard to properly position. Any suggestions?

Old 07-14-2005, 02:46 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: First 5K oil change - a mess

I catch it in a paint roller pan. Then I pour that into my oil container that I take to the auto parts store for recycling.

Mac

Old 07-14-2005, 09:58 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Ted
There's absolutely no clean way to change oil in these bikes, best way to do it is before you do your clean and shine detail, just change it then and wash the bike afterwards.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:40 AM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

pilot1996 hit it on the head. Use a paint roller tray with the bike on the side stand. No fuss, no muss.

When it comes oil filter time, flatten the box the filter came in and slide it under the oil filter. When it drips oil, it will run along the box and into whatever you put there to catch it in.

BTW, I was able to fabricate a cheap oil filter removal tool by cutting out a section of the oil filter removal tool (the one that fits over the end, like a cap). This allows the CPS to clear it.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, everyone! I guess where I made my mistake was using the bike lift. None of my containers would fit well under the oil drain. Hopefully, I did drain all of the oil - not being on the side stand might have left some of the old oil in there. The bike is so low, I didn't think I could access the oil drain with it on the jiffy. Thanks again - I'll give that a try in another 5K.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:46 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I use a plastic 2 liter coke bottle with the bottom cut off when I change the filter. Slip the bottle aroung the filter, remove filter, and the oil runs into the bottle. No mess.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:58 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: rh8234

I use a plastic 2 liter coke bottle with the bottom cut off when I change the filter. Slip the bottle aroung the filter, remove filter, and the oil runs into the bottle. No mess.
That's brilliant.

Mac

Old 07-14-2005, 12:06 PM
swicegk
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a 2 liter coke bottle like RH8234 except I cut the bottom out and also cut the top half of the bottle off about half way back towards the top. That way I can unscrew the filter and catch the oil at the same time. Never spilled a drop. Works great.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:08 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

ORIGINAL: pilot1996

ORIGINAL: rh8234

That's brilliant.

Mac
LOL, and a lot cheaper than my solution. I yanked the stock filter mount off and replaced it with one I got from NAPA that mounts the filter vertically.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:25 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

JB,

I made one of those filter removers, and the second time I used it I had a pretty tight filter and it would spring and spin on the filter. I was 400 miles away from home in a parking lot, and had no way to get it off except the old screw driver through the filter trick. Now there's a mess. I now have one of the HD strap wrenches that uses a 3/8" drive extension and ratchet.

As far as pans go, I have a pan that will fit under the bike when I'm home. I go to a grocery store and get an alunimum roasting pan for .59 when I change on the road.

regards,

Bill

Quick Reply: First 5K oil change - a mess