Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Gushing

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Sammy D
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Gushing

Prior to taking a trip from Chi-town to Az, I changed the (synthetic) oil on my 2000 bagger according to the shop manual which said to fill to about half way between the upper and lower marks on the dip stick (about 3-1/2 qts), run it until hot and then fill as needed to bring it to the top mark. This totalled almost 4 full quarts.
Half way through New Mexico, cruising about 70, not too hot, semi-hilly terrain, engine not working too hard, oil started gushing out of the throttlle body. What hit the pipes of course went up in smoke and the rest bathed the back seat and tour pack (lucky I didn't have a passenger) After letting things cool down I removed the air filter, wiped it dry, saw I was a quart down, added a half quart, started up, no knocking or smoking, and finished the remaining 400 mile trip with no mishap.
In Az I went to a mechanic that was well recommended by bikers that I know down there. He replaced the breather valves under the rocker cover. I believe he used S&S. I then did about a 1000 hard miles riding around Az, again with no mishap.
On the way home however, I'm on the downside of Wolf Creek Pass and she lets loose again, just like the first time. I repeat the routine and make to Pueblo. Now I'm thinking maybe I've got too much oil but since it's hard to check hot (on mine, anyway) I check it cold in the morning and drained it down to to lower mark. I check after about a hundred miles and it is way above the top mark but I know the oil expands when hot.
So now I'm cruisin along about 75 and 'thar she blows' again. Now I decide I'm not going to keep topping off unless I get dangerously low. So now I try 70, 65, then 60 mph, but sure enough, about every 50-100 miles or so I'm gushing oil. By the way, the oil pressure was the same (32#) at each speed. Finally I try 55 and she holds (I don't think I have to tell you what a long trip doing only 55 gives you). Anyway, I cross the state of Missourri at a constant 55 and stop over at a relative. I did not touch the bike for a day and a half. Before doing the last leg back to Chi-town, I wiped the bike clean, got more oil, said 'what the heck" and except for gas did not stop and ran at a steady 75mph. I did not blow out a drop of oil, not even a little mist.

I have talked to a couple of mechanic types since I have been back but they all seem a little befuddled by this one, and I certainly do not know what to think. I wonder if the new valves needed to 'seat' themselves and are ok now, or is the next 'gusher' awaiting me. I also wonder if maybe the problem is not the breather valves at the heads but somthing else.

I know some might ask why I am not going to the Harley Dealer, and I just might end up doing that, but I wanted to do a little homework first.

I would appreciate any advice, input, etc, on this. Thanks in advance

Sammy D,
Chicago

Old 06-12-2011, 04:28 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Not uncommon for some TC engines to puke oil when driven on the highway for seveeral hours but usually it is when they are driven 75mph ++ . I would investigate different types of venting setups people have developed. I believe it is definitely a venting issue.

Next oil change...measure what comes out including what is in the filter.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Rockwall TG John
Advanced
Default Same problem

I have a 2010 tri glide that is doing the same thing. My dealer has it now.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Sammy D
Intermediate

Hey, keep me posted, please?

Old 07-04-2011, 07:35 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll be watching this thread for updates. Having an oil gushing out the vents tubes issue as well....

one idea from another thread is a misaligned oil pump, if you had any work done recently to your scoot.....

Old 07-10-2011, 07:44 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

bring this back to the top.... Really having an issue with this, too much oil coming out of the breather tubes. I did have a Feuling oil pump installed, mechanic said he put a new "O" ring on where it seats into the case. He also put a tube on the breathers to vent below the bike. That was a terrible idea, oil all over the rear tire, brake pads and disc. Have taken that off. Sucks cleaning oil from all over the back of the bike not to mention no rear brake or no grip with an oil covered rear tire. Does anyone have an idea as to why so much oil would come out the breathers? Bad reed valves (umbrella valves I think), pump misaligned , bad "O" ring, return ports need to be bigger to make up for the higher volume pump...... I'm really getting more than a little upset with this. It didn't used to do this, it started after I got it repaired for a failed inner cam bearing. Thought I would add some upgraded parts since it was apart, gear driven cams, crank, cam plate, ported heads. Now it is making me think I should have just replaced the cams and bearings..... Any help appreciated...

Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Sammy D
Intermediate

I have talked to a lot of people about this, some have experienced it also. One thing I have formed an opion about is that tubes and hoses do not solve the problem, since ther is still oil coming out of the breather. I personaly will not trust a mechanic that proposes this as a resolution. Out of sight out of mind? No thanks.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:58 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Recently my motor started pushing excessive amounts of oil out my breather tubes which are vented between my primary and transmission. A drop in oil pressure while running in hot weather has occurred too. Some threads and people are talking about the cam plate, pressure relief valve, oil pump and seals. I'm also looking into opening up the outlet holes in the heads that connect to the return tubes in the cylinders. My oil pump has 36,000 miles on it. I'm tearing it down this weekend. If I find anything, I'll report back.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:16 AM
Sammy D
Intermediate

Please do. Thanks.