Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

500 mi oil change, Help requested

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 02:28 PM
jeff194
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 500 mi oil change, Help requested

Somemore grist for the mill.

Jeffery,
The Supertech ST3614 does meet or exceed all requirements for OEM applications, including the ones set forth by Harley Davidson Motorcycle Company. Your Warranty will remain in effect when Supertech Filters are used. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that a manufacturer cannot require the use of their filter unless they provide it free of charge.

Chase Mewes
Technical Service Representative
Champion Laboratories Inc.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:31 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where to start, how about you paid over 20K for the bike so why skimp to save a few pennys, now, you are on with mobil 1 75-90 in trans, wrong on the rest. Never use less than 20-50 in the motor unless you never ride in temps over 40, these bikes run to hot to use that thin of oil in motor and in primary too, Mobil-1 big twin 20-50 in motor and its rated for wet clutch use in the primary too is the best choice. Put a regular type oil in the primary without the proper friction rating for use with wet clutches will destroy it in time. I prefer amsoil products but both are top of the line products and mobil-1 is availble at most autozones. And do yourself a favor and use a harley filter, have a motor issue with a off brand filter and you may find your warranty wont cover it.

[quote]ORIGINAL: jeff194

I plan on changing the oil on my 07 FLHTCU at 500 mi. I've read ( for hours) the oil and filter posts and even some stuff on what people in Porshe auto forums are dooing. I figure since the Porshe is an air cooled Hi Po engine there should be some similarity. I am planning on using Mobil 1 15w50 in engine with an AC Delco PH53 filter. Mobil 1 75-90 in trans and Good 10w40 in primary. My question is, does this sound ok, and does anyone have experience running this combo. The specs on the above product seem to exceed Harley's. All but the oil filter not being a 10 micron. I plan on changing the engine and primary at 3500 mi intervals.
[/quote

Old 11-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Budz
Tourer

[quote]ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Where to start, how about you paid over 20K for the bike so why skimp to save a few pennys, now, you are on with mobil 1 75-90 in trans, wrong on the rest. Never use less than 20-50 in the motor unless you never ride in temps over 40, these bikes run to hot to use that thin of oil in motor and in primary too, Mobil-1 big twin 20-50 in motor and its rated for wet clutch use in the primary too is the best choice. Put a regular type oil in the primary without the proper friction rating for use with wet clutches will destroy it in time. I prefer amsoil products but both are top of the line products and mobil-1 is availble at most autozones. And do yourself a favor and use a harley filter, have a motor issue with a off brand filter and you may find your warranty wont cover it.

ORIGINAL: jeff194

I plan on changing the oil on my 07 FLHTCU at 500 mi. I've read ( for hours) the oil and filter posts and even some stuff on what people in Porshe auto forums are dooing. I figure since the Porshe is an air cooled Hi Po engine there should be some similarity. I am planning on using Mobil 1 15w50 in engine with an AC Delco PH53 filter. Mobil 1 75-90 in trans and Good 10w40 in primary. My question is, does this sound ok, and does anyone have experience running this combo. The specs on the above product seem to exceed Harley's. All but the oil filter not being a 10 micron. I plan on changing the engine and primary at 3500 mi intervals.
[/quote

Harley oil filters filter down to 10 microns but when the media does not pass enough of your thick oil through the media the by-pass will open and guess what? Yep! Unfiltered oil goes through to the motor. Your motor, your decision. Personnally, I'll use a filter that has more pleats (more media) and opens the by-pass valve less often. OEM is OK but it isn't the final word on good filtration. The K&N 171 and Mobil M-102 are both better than HD in my opinion. I wouldn't put Jeff down for trying to find a better filter and not conforming to a certain opinion. My thoughts on the subject.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:47 AM
denny
6th Gear

I agree with the above here, use the HD filter and the V Twin oil and take all the quess work out of it. Good combo

Budz, you say "The K&N 171 and Mobil M-102 are both better than HD in my opinion."

Is there anything other than personal preference that you base that on? Just curious.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Budz
Tourer

ORIGINAL: denny

I agree with the above here, use the HD filter and the V Twin oil and take all the quess work out of it. Good combo

Budz, you say "The K&N 171 and Mobil M-102 are both better than HD in my opinion."

Is there anything other than personal preference that you base that on? Just curious.
Yes, my opinion is based on reading a few reports where the filters are cut open with the construction of the filters and the media compared. If I can find the link I'll post it. I think that the more filter media (folds and total area and filtering ability) the better off we are for filtration.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:07 AM
Oldpanrider
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This sounds like a thread on the Dodge Turbo diesel forium. Most of those guys are sort of **** about their "babies" also. I've seen many a shovel and panhead go 50,000-70,000 miles between doing bottom end jobs with the old dino oil. If you want another thought to ponder what about Aeroshell or Phillips 20-50 (thats aircooled airplane oil by the way). It was always easyier to find a airport then a Harley dealer in the old days. The main thing is regular oil and oil AND air filter changes. Most oil doesn't wear out but it does get dirty. Just food for thought.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:06 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Budz

Yes, my opinion is based on reading a few reports where the filters are cut open with the construction of the filters and the media compared. If I can find the link I'll post it. I think that the more filter media (folds and total area and filtering ability) the better off we are for filtration.
Not necessarily valid data. My furnace filter is huge. But I bet it wouldn't filter oil worth a darn. Unfortunatly, I've never seen real test data on oil filter capabilities. I'm sure there must be some kind of test available besides measuring filter size, but I don't know what it is.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:28 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeff194

Well they both have pistons.

Mobile V-Twin in the engine and primary. Mobil Synthetic 75/90 in the Transmission.

You can by both at any autozone.

Why in the world would you want to put a substandard oil filter on your motorcycle. I'd use a 1 micron filter if it was possible.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:16 AM
HD FBOY
Intermediate

Everything is relitive. Heat and drt ruin oil. If you live in a dusty enviroment the dirt will get you otherwise heat is the culprit. Assuming you live in an enviroment where dust is not a big issue, I believe you can change oil every 500 to 1000 miles I don't believe it really matters what you use. Now when you go to 2500 miles, 5000 miles , or more the type of oil you use does matter. If you don't ride every day the type of oil you use matters because of condensation. After doing quite a bit of research, I only put AMSOIL in my bike.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:21 PM
jeff194
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: wlbowers

Well they both have pistons.

Mobile V-Twin in the engine and primary. Mobil Synthetic 75/90 in the Transmission.

You can by both at any autozone.

Why in the world would you want to put a substandard oil filter on your motorcycle. I'd use a 1 micron filter if it was possible.
Well thats the point, I don't want to put a substandard filter on the bike, I want a filter that does an excellent job, and I want to make a informed decision on what that is. After reading alot of the posts, I am not sure that the HD product is better, just because of it's reported mircon rating. Cost is really not an issue. With the miles I put on, I usually change my oil once or twice a year. I spend more for coffee on any given week, than what a HD filter costs. My goal is to get the best oil and filter I can, and keep it simple.

Quick Reply: 500 mi oil change, Help requested