Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

I'm an idiot

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011 | 10:12 PM
HFS
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member
Default I'm an idiot

Well I figured I'd change the oil, and do the purge with the scavenger system. I'm getting the 120R installed soon, and thought it'd be good preventative maintainence to change the oil for the ol 96" sittin on the shelf.

"You gotta have the right tool for the job, Beavis" said Butthead.

Well I didn't have the oil filter wrench. And in the past, I had pulled the filter off with elbow-grease and clean hands. Not today. It was really tight, and as I didn't have a vehicle to p/u a proper wrench I went for it.

DON'T USE A SCREWDRIVER TO REMOVE YOUR OIL FILTER.

Well go ahead if you think you can.

I got the wife to leave work @ lunch, and I got the car. I drove to the local HD Dealership, and bought two different styles of oil filter wrench. I've got a 2009 so the newer style wrench works good, if you haven't damaged the structural integrity of your old filter while trying to remove it with a screwdriver. The old "pinch type" is a POS. it didn't work worth a S__t.

The new style slipped over the notches, and eventually my klien triple tap tool was threaded into the top end of the filter. It pierced the filter, and finally broke off. It provided the lever for the 'notch' to grab on to. The squeeze type squeeze, and let go. I tried tightening the nut, but it's amazing coincidence that they were on sale at the dealership. i think not.

All was well, but holy crap... what a pain.

I will never start the job with out the right tool again. I might switch exclusively to K&N oil filters. They have a nut on the end. I've had one before, and it was beautiful.

Thanks for listing to me vent...

H

At least this time in the trenches will have a payoff. The 120R is going to be installed over the next week or so...

--> a shout out to the wife for helping me when I was so pissed off.

Old 03-11-2011 | 08:48 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLHXHS

See. Wife's come in handy sometimes!

Old 03-12-2011 | 06:56 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLHXHS
Well I figured I'd change the oil, and do the purge with the scavenger system. I'm getting the 120R installed soon, and thought it'd be good preventative maintainence to change the oil for the ol 96" sittin on the shelf.

"You gotta have the right tool for the job, Beavis" said Butthead.

Well I didn't have the oil filter wrench. And in the past, I had pulled the filter off with elbow-grease and clean hands. Not today. It was really tight, and as I didn't have a vehicle to p/u a proper wrench I went for it.

DON'T USE A SCREWDRIVER TO REMOVE YOUR OIL FILTER.

Well go ahead if you think you can.

I got the wife to leave work @ lunch, and I got the car. I drove to the local HD Dealership, and bought two different styles of oil filter wrench. I've got a 2009 so the newer style wrench works good, if you haven't damaged the structural integrity of your old filter while trying to remove it with a screwdriver. The old "pinch type" is a POS. it didn't work worth a S__t.

The new style slipped over the notches, and eventually my klien triple tap tool was threaded into the top end of the filter. It pierced the filter, and finally broke off. It provided the lever for the 'notch' to grab on to. The squeeze type squeeze, and let go. I tried tightening the nut, but it's amazing coincidence that they were on sale at the dealership. i think not.

All was well, but holy crap... what a pain.

I will never start the job with out the right tool again. I might switch exclusively to K&N oil filters. They have a nut on the end. I've had one before, and it was beautiful.

Thanks for listing to me vent...

H

At least this time in the trenches will have a payoff. The 120R is going to be installed over the next week or so...

If you'll slide a strip of sandpaper between the filter and the squeeze type oil filter wrench, it'll work just fine.

Old 03-12-2011 | 07:03 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Channel locks, squeeze enough to dent the filter a little and loosen.

Old 03-12-2011 | 09:44 AM
kdichs1015
Tourer

I knew I spent all that money on the big pair of channel locks for a reason. Good call man.

Old 03-12-2011 | 10:08 PM
rhinotheking
Cruiser

Yup, channels on every bike filter I've ever changed. Filter wrenches are a joke.