Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Winter Storage Lube Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 05:53 AM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winter Storage Lube Change

This will be my first winter of home storage of my Softail. It has been my practice with my other bikes to change both the engine and transmission lubes (bikes were metrics). What is the recommendation for changing the transmission and primary lubes for winter storage? Those lubes will probably have less than 2500 miles on them (I change them every 5000 miles as routine). The engine oil and filter will be changed for sure no matter how many miles they have (probably 2500 miles or less). I use Redline 20W50 w/ either H-D or K&N filters, MTL, and Shockproof Heavy. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:57 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Winter Storage Lube Change

I'd say it's cheap insurance to change them. I wouldn't want anything but clean oils sitting there over the winter. We're only talking a quart for the trans and a quart for the primary here.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:08 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I change all oils on everything I own before winter.......bike, boat, powerwasher, mower........corrosive acids in the crankcase are en engine killer.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:15 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One black fly. I also change the oil in all 3 cavities before storing my bike. You can get away with not changing the tranny and primary oils because they dont contain the acids that are produced by combustion but by all means change the engine oil. Something else you might consider is draining your engine oil and NOT refilling it till spring but I must caution you to leave yourself a note that the oil bag is empty so you dont start the bike in spring with no oil in it. The reason I used to drain the oil on both my softail and fatboy is because the check ball would leak just a bit, but by spring all my fresh oil would end up in my crankcase only to be blown out all over everything at first spring start up.................BG

Old 10-01-2006, 02:24 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: OneBlackFly

This will be my first winter of home storage of my Softail. It has been my practice with my other bikes to change both the engine and transmission lubes (bikes were metrics). What is the recommendation for changing the transmission and primary lubes for winter storage? Those lubes will probably have less than 2500 miles on them (I change them every 5000 miles as routine). The engine oil and filter will be changed for sure no matter how many miles they have (probably 2500 miles or less). I use Redline 20W50 w/ either H-D or K&N filters, MTL, and Shockproof Heavy. Thanks.

Storage? Where do you live. If there is not snow or ice on the roads, leather up and ride. That's what I do.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:07 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member

I live in SE Michigan where we have snow and ice on the roads, but worse yet, salt or some such de-icer. So when the first snow flies, into storage she goes for along with the snow will come the corrosive de-icer. Hence my question about winter storage.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:39 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I ride here when it's salty......just have to wash it off. Some guys use marine de-salter like "salt off" which is used on boats in salt water environments. It mixes with water and neutralizes any salt. Just don't let the bike sit too long with road salt on it.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:27 AM
OneBlackFly
Club Member

I've have to consider that. Weather in Cleveland is as bad as Detroit.