Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Changed from Syn3 to Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 01:51 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

my 09 stays at 230 consistently....

Old 10-23-2010, 06:42 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
i think peppi hit the nail on the head with the stage1 download. That would be my first guess since the brand of oil you use is highly unlikely to be the cause of your heat issues unless it's something cheap and should not be used in the first place.
Like I said, I have had the stage one download since last March when i bought the bike. Thats 7 months with no issue using the download, and that was during the hot La. summer. The over heating only started after the oil and oil filter change and the trans fluid and clutch cable change that i did the same day before riding.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:44 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Originally Posted by peppi
K&N is less restrictive than an HD filter and would lean a mixture out.
For this you understand that i'm referring to a K&N oil filter, not there air filter. I don't think an oil filter would lean out the mixture?

Old 11-01-2010, 01:03 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Changed out the k&n oil filter and put an hd brand back on Fri, rode all weekend with no heat issues and might be running a little cooler with the amsoil than the syn 3 but all i know for sure is that all weekend the bike did not start to go into over heat mode.
Could have been a bad k&n filter or the dealer at the Harley store said it could have been an evo filter? It's fixed so I'm happy, thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:29 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skidder
I got Amsoil in my motor and had Syn 3 in before. I did'nt notice any change in temps, noise or how it ran. I use the Amsoil because I want to go 5000 miles between changes not 3000. That Syn 3 breaks down sooner than Amsoil and it's made by a dictator and I hate dictators.
No top grade oil made these days under normal conditions breaks down after 3k, and for sure not any syn. Even HD360 regular oil is good for 5k changes as hd states in their owners manual. If who makes it is the reason to change then do it, but the rest of that info IMO is straight out of a male cows rectum. LOL

Last edited by gunrunner; 11-19-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:12 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

once again peppi.. you da man!

Old 11-20-2010, 09:07 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by gunrunner
No top grade oil made these days under normal conditions breaks down after 3k, and for sure not any syn. Even HD360 regular oil is good for 5k changes as hd states in their owners manual. If who makes it is the reason to change then do it, but the rest of that info IMO is straight out of a male cows rectum. LOL
Syn 3 ain;t no true synthetic,MMMMMOOOOOOOO.
I used it for a while and went 5000 miles once on it, did a oil change and the plug had gunk all over it. Went with Amsoil for 9000 miles, no gunk. MMMMOOOOO.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:24 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by skidder
Syn 3 ain;t no true synthetic,MMMMMOOOOOOOO.
I used it for a while and went 5000 miles once on it, did a oil change and the plug had gunk all over it. Went with Amsoil for 9000 miles, no gunk. MMMMOOOOO.

Syn3 is not a Pure synthetic. Many Oils are hybrid, partial syn, partial dino oil. I have read many reports and all of the rate Redline, Amsoil or Mobil VTwin as top of the line. They are all pure synthetics, 100%. Syns carry heat and help dissipate it quicker, and they have far higher flash points, the point at which they begin to fail. I'm sure no expert, but have wrenched for years, and don't think the oil itself is the fault of excessive temps. Easiest way to eliminate the oil, or solidify it as the problem, is to change it all back the Syn3 and see if it changes anything. Drain the oil back into something clean if you want to try and reuse it in the event you find the oil was not the culprit. The filter tho will just have to be replace every time you drain the oil. If the oil change makes a difference, its a cheap fix.

I'd speculate its in the computer, one way or another.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:52 PM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gunrunner
Heat is the main factor in oil breakdown. Even a good non synthetic oil will break down under stop and go traffic to a point that damage can result. Synthetic will stand more heat before breaking down. I wouldn't use SYN 3 if it was free, it's a blend of fossil oil and man made product.

Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) on the SYN-3, as filed with the Federal Government.
Manufactured by - Citgo Petroleum.
Composition section:

Component
CAS #
Concentration

(1) 1-Decene Homopolymer, hydrogenated
68037-01-4
50% - 70%

(2) Proprietary Ingredients
Proprietary Mixture
1% - 10%

(3) Polyisobutylene
9003-27-4
1% - 10%

(4) Distillates, Petroleum, Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic
64742-54-7
0% - 20%

(5) Distillates, Petroleum, Solvent-Refined Heavy Paraffinic
64741-88-4
0% - 20%

(6) Zinc Alkyldithiophosphate
68649-42-3
0% - 2%

Item (1) is a Group IV base oil. unable to locate the manufacturer of this base oil. Group IV and V base oils are the only "true" synthetics to the cognoscenti.

Item (2) is probably their additive package (boron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, moly), but it is conceivable there could also be some "secret" synthetic oil, maybe an ester type oil, included in it.

Item (3) is a fancy name for synthetic rubber (or elastomer) but this is probably considered to be "synthetic" oil as well.

However, Item (4) is a Group II base oil, namely Conoco Pure Performance Base Oil, either 110N, 225N or 600N. no one is calling a Group II oil a synthetic.

No information on the group number of Item (5), but it is Conoco's Cit-Con 650N Base Oil. It's presumed that it is a Group I oil as it is solvent refined. Most quality blenders are not using Group I oils in their premium motor oils and they are not considered synthetics.

(From the MSDS for the HD 360 20w50 oil: The major base oil constituents in it are the same ones as are listed in Items (4) & (5) above.)

I think the Items (4) & (5) above, are to keep the old air-heads running without bearing skid and gasket leaks. Good for them, but not for us?

Harley-Davidson talks about SYN3 in their advertising as:
"Developed with a proprietary blend of three synthetic base stocks, ..."

Or not!?!

Since there are significant amounts of Group I and II oils in the SYN3, could the MoCo have stretched the definition of "synthetic" a bit further than Castrol did when changing Syntec from a PAO Group IV base to a hydro cracked Group III base?

Exxon/Mobil (Mobil 1 synthetic) lost a lawsuit trying to go after a few oil companies for advertising blends as full synthetic. Mobil lost, and now the oil companies do not have to disclose on the label it contains Group I, II or III base stocks which are all petroleum based.

So it is legal for Harley to market syn3 as a full synthetic, even though it is only 60% synthetic and the rest petroleum based.

Attached Thumbnails Changed from Syn3 to Amsoil-oil-breakdown-temps.jpg  

Last edited by peppi; 11-20-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:42 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Like I said, Syn 3 is not a pure synthetic, but rather a hybrid. I don't care what any court allows them to claim in their advertising. Any way you look at it, that is false advertising.

Quick Reply: Changed from Syn3 to Amsoil