Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

SYN 3 + cold temps

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 07:22 PM
dynarule
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SYN 3 + cold temps

How cold of temps can the Syn 3 be used before switching to 10w40? For cold starts?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:24 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

A groupIII 20w50 synthetic should pump all the way down to -10F. Castrol Syntec will go -15 and Redline -20F. But to be safe I would guess 10-20F is safe. I used to ride my Sporty here at 30F with SYn3 and would allow the engine to idle 5 minutes to warm up before taking off. It would still take 20 minutes to warm up.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:02 AM
dynarule
Tourer

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
A groupIII 20w50 synthetic should pump all the way down to -10F. Castrol Syntec will go -15 and Redline -20F. But to be safe I would guess 10-20F is safe. I used to ride my Sporty here at 30F with SYn3 and would allow the engine to idle 5 minutes to warm up before taking off. It would still take 20 minutes to warm up.
Compared to HD 360,I know that it gets pretty thick when it gets down in the 40's. The down fall of these injected bikes is the high idle as soon as it starts when cold and I would like to have oil pump faster at start up while still using a 20/50. Down here in Tx. we are having 40's in the morning and upper 80's in the afternoon. I am due an oil change now but its not quite cold enough for the 40w oil. Dont really want to get into an oil brand disc. I prefere to stick with the factory recomended fluids like I have done for so many years.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:26 AM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

dynarule, there are much better oils available than the syn 3. Just because it's recommended by HD doesn't mean that it is a good oil being it's not a full synthetic, besides it's made by Hugo Chavez so that in itself is enough to keep me from using it.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:44 AM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Talking

Originally Posted by dynarule
How cold of temps can the Syn 3 be used before switching to 10w40? For cold starts?
Dude, you live in Texas,there is no such thing as a cold start there!!! lol!!! Texan's don't know what cold weather is!!! lol

Old 10-09-2010, 11:00 PM
dynarule
Tourer

Originally Posted by arealinvestor
Dude, you live in Texas,there is no such thing as a cold start there!!! lol!!! Texan's don't know what cold weather is!!! lol
My ***! You should come on down here and see for yourself. We get cold with high humidity. You would probably run back to NJ.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:05 PM
dynarule
Tourer

Originally Posted by peppi
dynarule, there are much better oils available than the syn 3. Just because it's recommended by HD doesn't mean that it is a good oil being it's not a full synthetic, besides it's made by Hugo Chavez so that in itself is enough to keep me from using it.
Much better according to who? Amsoil? The only ones claiming its not good is the other oil makers and everybody gets on board with it with no real proof. Dont realy care about Chavez or who ever makes it, if it works, it works. So much of our oil and gas come from the middle east but nobody is fussing about that.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:26 AM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dynarule
Much better according to who? Amsoil? The only ones claiming its not good is the other oil makers and everybody gets on board with it with no real proof. Dont realy care about Chavez or who ever makes it, if it works, it works. So much of our oil and gas come from the middle east but nobody is fussing about that.
If you did a bit of research you would find out that the Syn 3 is a class III oil which is not a true synthetic but a blend of dino oil that has been reworked and called a synthetic unlike the class IV which are full synthetic oils.

Your bike , you choose and if you choose the Syn 3, then you are paying synthetic oil prices for basically a dino oil, all other facts aside.
I wouldn't use it in anything when there are better oils available. Why do you think that many dealers will not put it in the transmissions any longer, only a few that find it easier to stock only one oil instead of different oils for different applications. Do some research and find out how many bearing failures and blued shifter forks from the heat generated from using Syn 3 in the transmissions.

It took a bunch of lawyers to get the classification changed to "synthetic" why do you think that is if it is really a synthetic?

Last edited by peppi; 10-10-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:02 AM
dynarule
Tourer

Originally Posted by peppi
If you did a bit of research you would find out that the Syn 3 is a class III oil which is not a true synthetic but a blend of dino oil that has been reworked and called a synthetic unlike the class IV which are full synthetic oils.

Your bike , you choose and if you choose the Syn 3, then you are paying synthetic oil prices for basically a dino oil, all other facts aside.
I wouldn't use it in anything when there are better oils available. Why do you think that many dealers will not put it in the transmissions any longer, only a few that find it easier to stock only one oil instead of different oils for different applications. Do some research and find out how many bearing failures and blued shifter forks from the heat generated from using Syn 3 in the transmissions.

It took a bunch of lawyers to get the classification changed to "synthetic" why do you think that is if it is really a synthetic?
Never said i was going to use it the trans! I wouldnt use any engine oil in the trans. Like I had said in my original post (if you read it) I asked a simple question about the cold pumpability of Syn3 over HD360 and dont give a rats a$% about other brands. The only difference between HD oils and all the high end brands is HD isnt getting on these forums and shoving there oil down everybody's throat and pulling out some ''White papers'' like a pistol.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:07 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI

Uh, at -20F, I'd need a high pressure blood pump and hope that the capillaries could take the strain.

...forget about wind chill...

Quick Reply: SYN 3 + cold temps