Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

SYN 3 + cold temps

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:50 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glideridemike
I have read several in depth studies concerning these different oils, all by impartial parties, not by any oil manufacturers.
Now that is some funny stuff!!!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:09 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by grf000
Just quoteing what I read. Everone needs to decide for themself and here both sides. I was testing Formual+ and Mobile's 75-90 Syn in my transmission for shift and noise. Could not tell any difference but after talking to Mobile took the 75-90 out. Have run in in 2 different 5 speed 4x4Toyota Transmissions since 83 and never hurt them. The 83 has 150K and the 89 has 200K and are still running. Also since we are talking Harleys in general here, there may be a differnece of the materials in a 4,5,or 6 speed and I have not worked on a Sporty but I think the fluids are seperate in it. Are the fluids seperate in a Sporty? Is there any yellow metals in a Harley transmission?

This was from the Mobile Site.

Question: Does Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube Corrode Yellow Metals?Is Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 gear oil OK to run in Harley Transmissions? The big buzz on the internet chat rooms is that it corrodes "yellow" metals, such as brass and copper. Is this true? Please answer THIS question.-- Michael Carravetta, Janesville, WI

Answer: Unless the transmission specifically recommends an API GL-5 fluid for your transmission, it should not be used. GL-5 gear oils are designed for gears that require a high level of EP (Extreme Pressure) additives to protect gear teeth under extreme stress. Unfortunately, these same additives can be very aggressive toward “yellow metals “and are generally not recommended where copper, brass and bronze components are used.

[/SIZE]
The yellow metals are synchronizers used in manual transmissions. A Harley trans has none. But I use redline gear oils which are completely safe for use in a Harley trans anyway. The shockproof heavy is 75w250.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:25 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
Now that is some funny stuff!!!

You must be easily amused.....

Originally Posted by OnTheFence
Gee no self flattery going on here. Thanks for you public service. Wouldn't it be awful if someone bought inferior oil.
Really, this is what you get out of it? Guess you missed this-
Believe it or not, use what you want. Its no skin off my azz.
or did you just choose to ignore that portion of my post.

Last edited by glideridemike; 10-13-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:11 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

you know whats really funny.. you're all sitting here giving yuor opinions, whether educated or not and the advertisement at the bottom of the page is for

Vaginal Lube
Buy Vaginal Lube & Moisturizers At Our Website-Check It Out Today!

Now that's some funny ****!!

Old 10-13-2010, 04:17 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
you know whats really funny.. you're all sitting here giving yuor opinions, whether educated or not and the advertisement at the bottom of the page is for

Vaginal Lube
Buy Vaginal Lube & Moisturizers At Our Website-Check It Out Today!

Now that's some funny ****!!
For sure....LOL

Old 10-13-2010, 06:27 PM
OnTheFence
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glideridemike
Really, this is what you get out of it? Guess you missed this- or did you just choose to ignore that portion of my post.
Well gee Wally yes I did read that it was no skin off your Azz... And that is fine with me either way. However, I did find it funny that you called someone a self flatterer, Then extolled the value you were providing. Just in case some boob that can't read comes along and gets confused that Syn3 may or may not be a synthetic.

Then I had this mentle picture of all research that was done, to get to this conclusion. Wondering what secret documents your read that the rest of us don't have access to.

So.... In a nutshell, I think what you posted is funny!!!!!! You can take it as serious as you like.... I just choose not to.....

Gotta run..... I am off to the electrial forum to stir up controversy over battery tenders.