Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:46 PM
wildside41
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil filter

Just got back from the auto parts store and bought a oil filter for my 01 police electroglide. It is a fram PH6022. iS THIS THE RIGHT ONE? How many micron would this be? Looks the same as the one I took out but this one has smaller holes around the bottom than the one I took out. Also how does the fram stack up to others. Thanks for any info.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:49 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: oil filter

same filter I run. been doing so for a while. Oil filter is only good for 2500 miles, no matter who makes it. So, every 3k, you should service no matter what oil you run.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:03 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Will this work on any twin cam 88?

Old 09-13-2006, 08:50 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Once upon a time, in a land far away, there was a company named FRAM that made pretty good oil filters. Then the evil bean-counters seized control, and forged a deal with a certain super-sized discount chain. Whether by coincidence or not, the FRAM pretty good oil filters declined in the quality of construction. Now the folks who make it their business to tear oil filters apart and peer into their gizzards tell us the FRAM filters aren't up to snuff, and should be used only as butt-wipe in third world countries after all the sandpaper, cornhusks, corn cobs, and red-hot lava rocks are used up.

Go to a NAPA store & get a NAPA filter. Or a store that sells Wix (they make the NAPA filters, too). Or get an AC Delco. Or one of many other brands. But stay away from FRAM!

But of course that is my opinion!

Here's some links about oil filters. I haven't checked with them in awhile, so I listed all. Some may be a repeat of the same material. Also included a cross-reference site, but I'm not sure how up-to-date it is.

http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corve...lterstudy.html
http://www.twocreeks.net/toby/oil_filters/index.shtml
http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Old 09-13-2006, 10:45 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj

Once upon a time, in a land far away, there was a company named FRAM that made pretty good oil filters. Then the evil bean-counters seized control, and forged a deal with a certain super-sized discount chain. Whether by coincidence or not, the FRAM pretty good oil filters declined in the quality of construction. Now the folks who make it their business to tear oil filters apart and peer into their gizzards tell us the FRAM filters aren't up to snuff, and should be used only as butt-wipe in third world countries after all the sandpaper, cornhusks, corn cobs, and red-hot lava rocks are used up.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 09-23-2006, 04:13 AM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I wouldn't use a Fram filter on my Ex-mother-inlaw's car. Wix is good, NAPA gold is same as Wix, Amsoil is the best. Read their info on it. It's all about the microns. Regardless of how long you keep them on, how many passes do you want 20 micron dirt particles to cruise around in your motor and over your bearings? Do you want them to float around there for 500 miles, or 2,500 miles. Me, I don't want them to float around there at all. That's why I go with Amsoil filters, they grab them down to 5 microns if I'm not mistaken.

$20K on a bike - that's silly enough..... hooking cheap crap up to it? ----- even worse.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:28 PM
ReeseSS
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pre 99's use a 30 micron filter, any finer and the oiling system would have trouble. 99 and up use a 10 micron filter, newer style oil pump can handle it, but also fine jets spray oil under the pistons for cooling, and additional debris in oil from cam chain tensioner shoes.

Edited for backward microns!

Old 09-25-2006, 03:14 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: ReeseSS

Pre 99's use a 10 micron filter, any finer and the oiling system would have trouble. 99 and up use a 30 micron filter, newer style oil pump can handle it, but also fine jets spray oil under the pistons for cooling, and additional debris in oil from cam chain tensioner shoes.
Are you sure you don't have that backwards? I believe the TC filters were at first 10 micron filters, then a couple of years ago they went to 5 micron filters.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:17 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree w/ pococj on Fram filters. Metric bike sites also tell us to avoid this brand of filter. Don't pinch a few pennies, get good filters, like H-D, K&N, Mobil 1, Wix, Hastings, among others.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:48 PM
ReeseSS
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, wrote it backwards!

Quick Reply: oil filter