Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Made big mistake now have oil problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 05:48 AM
capewalk
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This nearly happened to me a few years back. At some point after I took the nozzle off the pump and before I pulled the trigger I did a recheck and found I had the diesel nozzle in my hand. After hearing all the horror stories about people getting caught up in this I thank my lucky stars that I did a double take. A few stations around here have those pumps with diesel on one side and gas on the other. That's how I nearly made the mistake I can see how others could too. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:14 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 305 Posts

All of the diesel pumps I have ever seen have a green plastic covering the entire nozzle. All gasoline nozzles are black. Are there areas of the country where this is not the case? I can't imagine making that mistake but then I have a diesel pickup and I learned early on to recognize the look, feel and smell of diesel. The pumps are always oilier than gas pumps and the smell is unmistakable. I keep a pair of leather gloves in my pickup just for pumping diesel. Stinky, oiley, foul stuff.....I love it!

Old 08-21-2010, 09:16 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

[quote=danzio;7174467]All of the diesel pumps I have ever seen have a green plastic covering the entire nozzle. All gasoline nozzles are black. Are there areas of the country where this is not the case?

We just got back from Sturgis and Yellowstone and there were a few stations where the gas pumps were green.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:16 PM
LocoPilot750
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio
All of the diesel pumps I have ever seen have a green plastic covering the entire nozzle. All gasoline nozzles are black. Are there areas of the country where this is not the case? I can't imagine making that mistake but then I have a diesel pickup and I learned early on to recognize the look, feel and smell of diesel. The pumps are always oilier than gas pumps and the smell is unmistakable. I keep a pair of leather gloves in my pickup just for pumping diesel. Stinky, oiley, foul stuff.....I love it!
Just filled my Dodge/Cummins pickup today at a BP station just east of Arrowhead Stadium in KC. Being BP, they had it all ***-backwards. The green handle pump was for gas, the diesel pump hadh black handles. They can't even get that right. Green is almost always diesel, but not there.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:22 PM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy1950
Igot got in a hurry last sunday &put desil in my 98 ultra it started right up I moved about 20 ft and then shut it off. Ive drain tank wash it out put in new fillter new spark plugs now when I start it the oil press sets on20psi then when Igive iit gas it jumps to 30 psi then to 40 psi then back to 20 Before it always went to 20 psi then drop to 1psi at a light or stop sign dose anybody have any subjustion ? thank you Fuzzy
So you are saying your oil pressure did read 1 psi during idle, which is low and that is what you want it to do now? Should you oil pressure not stay at 20 psi during idle?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:54 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Putting diesel in HD engine won't affect anything other than it running a little off kilter til the diesel is completely gone from the system. Draining the tank, refilling with fresh fuel (Super), putting in a shot of seafoam for the next 2 or possibly 3 tanks of fuel will get it all out of the system including the injectors. During these few tanks of fuel, you'll want to keep an eye on your plugs as well and keep them clean. After you've run 2 or 3 tanks of fuel through with seafoam, change the plugs and you should be good to go.

I agree with the "no" responses as to whether this fiasco caused your gauge to act erractically. Just a coincidence if you ask me but on the flip-side of that, your oil pressure should NOT be reading 1PSI. If it is, (1) you have a bad gauge, (2) a bad sending unit (most likely), (3) or your bike is idling so low (not recommended) that there is not enough oil pressure to properly flow through the system. This could be determined by the amount of rapid heat that builds up when your bike is idling and in the long run will certainly cause you other more expensive problems.

A statement above says that diesel will get by rings and "make oil". This is true to a certain extent. If you constantly ran diesel through your engine or ran a lot of it, I could see where it would "make oil" in a measureable amount but with the little bit that did run through, highly unlikely. Reagrdless you'll want to change your oil and filter after you run your 2 or 3 tanks fo fuel through the system for good measure.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 12-15-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:27 AM
Redhill Phil
Cruiser

It happens. About 15 of us pulled into a gas station one day and started helping ourselves. The attendant was wandering around and commented on my mates BMW K100 "wow these BMW's have diesel motors cool". His mouth just dropped as he realized his mistake. No harm done as he hadn't started the bike. Just drained the tank and refilled. A little diesel in your gas will do more good than harm.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,403 Likes on 5,006 Posts

Stop worrying about the oil pressure, you are just panicking because you put the wrong fuel in the tank, which would have nothing to do with the oil pressure.

It`s an Evo, an oil pressure is nothing but a useless gage taking up space on the dash on an Evo engined bike. If the pressure really is low, the light will come on, and you will hear the lifters clattering.

There is no reason to change the oil, you did not dump the fuel into the oil tank, and there is no way the fuel found its way past the rings...Hell, people used to rinse the oil tank out with diesel fuel or kerosene during an oil change....

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 07-12-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:15 PM
dropone
Supporter

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Stop worrying about the oil pressure, you are just panicking because you put the wrong fuel in the tank, which would have nothing tou do with the oil pressure.

It`s an Evo, an oil pressure is nothing but a useless gage taking up space on the dash on an Evo engined bike. If the pressure really is low, the light will come on, and you will hear the lifters clattering.

There is no reason to change the oil, you did not dump the fuel into the oil tank, and there is no way the fuel found its way past the rings...Hell, people used to rinse the oil tank out with diesel fuel or kerosene during an oil change....
Oh yes it will.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:16 PM
dropone
Supporter

I don't think he ran his motor long enough to do any damage.

Quick Reply: Made big mistake now have oil problem