Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Intersting Oil Observations (or not)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:01 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by OnTheFence
Given the results from my observations and both bikes experiencing the same long EITMS run where Vr1 took longer than Mobil 1 to heat up and vr1 cooled off faster, I am inclined to think that Mobil 1 is providing no measureable benefit over lesser oils. Is that a fair conclusion?

No not any real conclusion at all.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:12 AM
dynarule
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Yes, but most of it is in automotive engines. Especially turbocharged automotive engines which beat oil much the same way a TC engine does.
Oh but you are very wrong on this indeed! UOA's have shown that a dino HDEO does better in these turbo gas engines than the synthetics do, comparing wear metals. So once again, were is the proof? I would like to see it. Can you post a link to show some real proof? I am still researching all the info I can find.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:48 PM
OnTheFence
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, here's a bit of a laboratory report on some oil. Hopefully facts don't get in the way here. I apologize for only doing 4,481 on the change. I ended up trading this bike.

Left to Right
Vr1, Same Vr1 fill sampled at 2.4k., Mobil 1, Syn 3.

So... in comparison the VR1 is cooler in the pan, has identical wear numbers, and is still the right viscosity.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:45 PM
dynarule
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OnTheFence
Well, here's a bit of a laboratory report on some oil. Hopefully facts don't get in the way here. I apologize for only doing 4,481 on the change. I ended up trading this bike.

Left to Right
Vr1, Same Vr1 fill sampled at 2.4k., Mobil 1, Syn 3.

So... in comparison the VR1 is cooler in the pan, has identical wear numbers, and is still the right viscosity.

Cant argue with this at all. What part of the world do you live in? I am down here in Tx. and we are having our normal 100+ temp days here with many days at 105+ temp's. this will continue for about another month or so. I have been checking my oil temps with an infred temp gun,and on the oil cooler itself i am getting an average of 215*. I currently have Amsoil in the bag but I most likely will be switching to the VR1 for about half the cost. What ya think?

Old 09-10-2010, 08:00 PM
OnTheFence
Tourer

Another Fine Product.
Brad Penn 20/50 Racing

Old 09-11-2010, 08:13 AM
OnTheFence
Tourer

Originally Posted by dynarule
Cant argue with this at all. What part of the world do you live in? I am down here in Tx. and we are having our normal 100+ temp days here with many days at 105+ temp's. this will continue for about another month or so. I have been checking my oil temps with an infred temp gun,and on the oil cooler itself i am getting an average of 215*. I currently have Amsoil in the bag but I most likely will be switching to the VR1 for about half the cost. What ya think?
This sample only saw ambient temps in the 90 - 97 ambient temp range. Honestly I don't know how 105+ temps would affect the oil.

But, I also didn't know how this was going to work in mine. I just poured it in and sent a 2.5k sample in. Had it come back suggesting a change I would have dumped it and returned to mobil 1. (Which I am inclined to avoid now.)

I am far from an expert, and my posts probably indicate that. If UOAs provide any indication of whether the oil was usable or not, then my interpretation of them is yes the VR1 worked. And the Brad Penn worked also. Now that there are a few dinos with comparable numbers to well known syns, the bar may move, leaving the non syns out there as inadequate again.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:30 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

OnTheFence, Your project is definately worthwile to provide information on the properties and performace of different oils. I can surely apreciate your efforts. Your labratory oil test results are a pretty credible source of evaluation. When collecting your "during operation temperatures", consider being more specific with your ambient temps. Using "90's" leaves 10 degrees for error; in my experience actively monitoring temperature for my experiments, ambient temp is one of the most influential variables you will encounter. Recording specific outside temps should greatly improve the overall validity of the rest of your data set. I personally use a ZILLA pet reptile thermometer, it has a wired sensor bulb which I mounted under the lower tripple tree. it's out of the sun and out front in the ambient air stream, I think it's good cheap and acurate solution. I wouldnt worry too much about only using one gauge, even if your data isn't "perfect", you can still draw reasonable conclusions if your data collection methodology is consistient.

Attached Thumbnails Intersting Oil Observations (or not)-100_0668.jpg   Intersting Oil Observations (or not)-100_0670.jpg  
Old 09-15-2010, 07:59 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dynarule
Oh but you are very wrong on this indeed! UOA's have shown that a dino HDEO does better in these turbo gas engines than the synthetics do, comparing wear metals. So once again, were is the proof? I would like to see it. Can you post a link to show some real proof? I am still researching all the info I can find.
The "proof" is that most of the automotive manufacutrers recommend synthetic oil in turbocharged engines...companies like Mercedes, Audi, BMW, VW, Porsche, General Motors. UOA's while a helpful tool to analyze oil on a specific engine at a specific time to not by themselves set an industry standard for performance. Turbochargers run at very high speed and very high temperatures. So, go to BITOG with all of the internet oil wierdos and make claims with a UOA. I'll stick with the majority of engine manufacturers who have thousands of test lab hours and most prefer Mobil1 0w40 for a turbocharged engine. Please note S&S also specs Mobil1Vtwin 20w50 for all of thei engines as factory fill and all the HD CVO bikes come with Syn3 from the factory. Who needs research???

Old 09-15-2010, 08:53 AM
dafan
Stage II
Default this is what i found

i was in daytona last year and was turned on to this stuff called v-twin shield i got some at rossmeyers h.d. and tried it out my oil temp dropped 40 degrees and it just seems to run so much better so i did some reasearch on the product and it is simply amazing i dont think the parts people will like this stuff there is a demo of this stuff on youtube (v- twin shield) so i now use this in all my bikes w/mobil 1 and i have tried it all and was using lucas but this stuff just seems to work better esp the oil temp i was also getting 36 mpg w/my 70 shovelhead i now get 41mpg

Old 09-18-2010, 05:02 PM
OnTheFence
Tourer

Originally Posted by dafan
i was in daytona last year and was turned on to this stuff called v-twin shield i got some at rossmeyers h.d. and tried it out my oil temp dropped 40 degrees and it just seems to run so much better so i did some reasearch on the product and it is simply amazing i dont think the parts people will like this stuff there is a demo of this stuff on youtube (v- twin shield) so i now use this in all my bikes w/mobil 1 and i have tried it all and was using lucas but this stuff just seems to work better esp the oil temp i was also getting 36 mpg w/my 70 shovelhead i now get 41mpg
Bullsheet!!!

Quick Reply: Intersting Oil Observations (or not)