Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Mobil 1 15w50 In all Three Holes

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 12:54 AM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mobil 1 15w50 In all Three Holes

I been a MECHANIC for 33 years, and just started refering my trade as an Auto Technician, ASE Master Certified, L1 Certified.

It supposed to sound more official....

I was talking to one of the YOUNGER "Techs" and was commenting on the old Quadrajet carb, and he ask WHAT'S THAT....

Go Figure...

Old 08-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Square Dude
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep! I took the very first ASE test in Houston in the 70's. A new guy working for me one time went through my tool box looking at valuable tools of the trade and he asked, "What's this thing?". Remember the old GM 6 cylinder distributor tool? That made me feel old. One day he saw a beautiful '55 Buick with the holes in the fender. He said, "Wow! Look at that old Chrysler". I'm sure glad they have all those certifications now days.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:37 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

I had one looking at a "BENT TOOL with a hook on the end" (old headlight spring release tool)he said "why you keeping this old bent tool for" I just laughed...

Young whiper snappers...

hehehe...

Old 08-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

ORIGINAL: Richard

My 06 was a rental and I can't get any history from the stealer just the service dates... Not the type of oil used...

Bike runs great in the morning, cool but in the evening NOISEY....

and the oil pressure is real low at idle. (Is this normal?) (My first Harley)

I have a thing about rocker noise...
The dealer probably used HD oil. Drain it, and put a good quality oil of your choice in it, either dino or syn there are lot's of options. Amsoil, Mobil 1 V-twin, HD dino oils: Lots of choices to ponder. And lots of opinions on them all. Everyone has their 'favorite' combo. The big thing, and I doubt I'll get any flames, is to change it on a regular basis. Don't freak when you see how cruddy the primary oil looks when you change it. If your clutch and primary chain is adjust correctly, there's nothing to worry about. I change my EVO every 2500 miles, and do the tranny/primary every 5000. Just a habit I got into since the bike was new. Depending on how you ride (just like how you drive), will dictate the 'best' interval for you to use.

As this is your first Harley, you haven't gotten used to all the particular noises that these things make. And believe me when Harley changed the gear design (I believe in 94 or 95) to a 'backcut', it quieted the trannys down considerably. I own a 93 and there is a world of difference in the tranny noise between then and now. The engines make a set of noises when they are cold, they make a set of noises when they are hot. All part of the HD experience. I own an EVO and I can tell you that it makes typical HD noises. The day I rode it home from the dealer I got five miles away and was ready to turn around and take it back. I'd owned a BMW before the Harley, and I thought: 'What kind of mistake have I made here?". Trust me, you will know when a noise isn't normal.

Low oil pressure is normal. The cranks have tapered roller bearings, not like an automobile's. My EVO run's around 20-25psi at cruise in the summer. But I run an oil cooler. And it will dip to 5psi at idle if I'm tied up in a traffic jam during the summer. I've seen bikes go to almost '0' at idle in the summer. As long as the oil pump is moving the oil, everything is okay. And if there is one thing that I haven't read a lot about it's HD oil pumps failing. (I'm certain this wil get some comments from others.)

Lots and lots of lifter/valve noise. You're not going to escape this. Spend a couple hours staring at the bike and at the service manual and you'll see why: Too much 'monkey-motion' (as my late uncle used to say), an 'uneven' firing cycle, chains, gears, etc. My EVO sometimes sounds like there's a little guy in the rocker boxes with a hammer bangin' away. This ain't no Ferrari. Or your big block either.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:20 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: Square Dude

Mobil 1 15-50 great for the engine, Mobil 1 75-90 best for the transmission, syn of any kind is just overkill in the primary. Remember, you are dealing with friction discs clutch so why put super slippery in there. Syn may even have additives in it that might cause problems with the clutch discs. I just filled mine with RevTech primary oil ($4.99). Someone on here said, "You could probably do with Wesson oil in the primary".
You have a really good point here........I chose the redline MTL because its a gear oil and groupV synthetic that has a pour point of 5w30 motor oil with a GL4 lube rating. So, it doesn't cause the clutch to drag when cold and your bike doesn't lurch when you shift into first gear when the bike is cold. Plus its a synthetic so you most likely will never exceed the temperature limits of the oil and can go extended oil change intervals. For me this means 1 change per year. Fill it and forget it. Thats why I use the synthetic.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:49 AM
fatdave
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Dragonsoni

I recently sold a 2005 XL1200C which I used Mobil 1 15w50 red cap (now gold cap) in both the primary and cranck case with no problems.

I have a new 2006 FXSTI TC88B. First big twin

I understand HD Syn 3 can be used in all three holes. (crank case, primary and transmission.

Does anyone have any experience using Mobil 1 15w50 in all three holes?

It appears the the Mobil 1 gear oil 75w90 when converted to engine oil specs is about the same in viscosity as the 15w50.

Thanks,
Dragonsoni

Emailed Mobil and asked the same question about the V Twin. Thier reply was yes it's good for all three. I think I'll stick with the 75-90 in the tranny.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:23 AM
500MAG
Cruiser

Mobile 15-50 in the engine, Drag primary oil, 75-140 amsoil severe gear in the tranny.