Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:46 AM
kd4tsc
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak

OK, I know Harleys are supposed to mark their territory, but...
I have a '93 FXLR - 90th anniversary - which I bought used a little over a year ago. I've actually only ridden it about 5 times at the most and those weren't long rides. (I'm still a little aprehensive - crashed my Sportster a year ago - not my fault). The odometer says 10,XXX miles and so does the title. I don't have any reason to doubt that. Now, yesterday, I noticed some oil leeching out of the bottom, L/H corner of the rear cylinder. I've never noticed that before and I've never seen oil drops on the floor. I haven't started it in several months, so it's not like the oil got warm and was pumped up into the cylinder. The only thing I did to the bike yesterday was to sit on it and rock it side to side a little cause I just changed the transmission fluid. I guess what I'm wanting to know is; "why this leak?" I know the oil doesn't sit that high in the crankcase. When I wipped it off, I noticed several hours later, the oil had returned.
Any clues?
Thanks

Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,467 Likes on 5,048 Posts

Man this is a difficult read, I almost couldn`t figure out if there was even a question...

Base gaskets sometimes leak. You have to decide if it is bad enough to pull the jug and repair. Small amount is not worth messing with.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:38 AM
kd4tsc
Intermediate
Default Oil Leak Explained

Usually, when I describe a problem, I leave out important details. Didn't want to do that.
Actually, last night, I read in an HD book I have (101 Projects For Sportsers And Evos) that where my leak is located is where 99% of all base leaks occur - lower L/H corner of rear cylinder. The book explains why and the fix.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:57 AM
cdrich
Cruiser

Mine did the same, low miles, started riding more and the jugs started leaking. I have noticed that with the cooler weather they even leak more. It is just something that you have to be careful with.

The bottom and the jugs heat up differently and expand at a different rate. That is why you should be a little gentle with the bike until it warms up well, there are plenty of post on here to describe the ideal way to keep from blowing out your base gaskets. I am getting ready to do mine in Feb, was gonna do it this week but its in the 60's so that job is getting put off till its colder.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:24 AM
kd4tsc
Intermediate

Well, it's actually been pretty cold for South Carolina here lately, a couple of weeks in the teens. That might have something to do with it. Maybe it'll go away when things warm up. Expansion / contraction, y'know.