Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Drain plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Ohiobellboy
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Drain plugs

I've looked in the owners manual and get two different directions to look for the oil drain plug. Pix shows on the right side, in the back of the manual it says front left.
Under the bike the only thing I see that resembles drain plugs are a hex head (allen wrench) and a 3/4" bolt that goes into a fitting with hoses that appear to head for the tranny cooler.
Also, the manual talks about checking the tranny oil by pulling a cap similar to the oil cap. I'll be damned if I can find one of those on this bike.

So I need some help in which plug is which and just where is the tranny plug with dipstick that shows in the book?

Shoot the newbie now but I plan on having this bike for a while and need to know this stuff.

Thanks
OBB

Old 01-16-2010, 10:48 AM
02ULTRA
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your new ride, I have an 02 Ultra for about two years now and love it.

The Engine oil drain plug is on the left side of the bike, on the front of the oil pan, facing the front of the bike. It requires a 5/8" wrench to remove.

The trans oil drain plug is on the right side of the bike, diagonally across (to the rear)from the engine oil drain plug, and faces straight down. It too requires a 5/8" wrench or socket.
The trans oil dipstick/filler plug is on the right side of motor, 6 inches forward of the engine oil dipstick/filler. It is a chrome plug that requires a HEX (Allen) wrench to to remove, I believe is 3/8".

Old 01-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Ohiobellboy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 02ULTRA
Congrats on your new ride, I have an 02 Ultra for about two years now and love it.

The Engine oil drain plug is on the left side of the bike, on the front of the oil pan, facing the front of the bike. It requires a 5/8" wrench to remove.

The trans oil drain plug is on the right side of the bike, diagonally across (to the rear)from the engine oil drain plug, and faces straight down. It too requires a 5/8" wrench or socket.
The trans oil dipstick/filler plug is on the right side of motor, 6 inches forward of the engine oil dipstick/filler. It is a chrome plug that requires a HEX (Allen) wrench to to remove, I believe is 3/8".
Thanks.

I saw the chrome plug on the trans but it's different than what the manual said so I didn't want to go messing around til I knew for sure.
Time to pick up a service manual for this thing.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:06 AM
02ULTRA
Road Captain

The factory service manual is a must. Don't waste your money on a after market manual unless you want it as a secondary resource.
How many miles on your ride? Something to consider, if it has not already been done is checking the cam chain tensioners, they will eventually wear out and reap havoc on your motor if not caught in time. Mine has 24k on the motor, I checked the at 21K and all is well for now, but I will check them every 10k now. HD has a hydraulic replacement kit for them when it is time to replace.

PS. good choice in vehicles, I also have a 2003 Avalanche, best truck I have ever owned.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:07 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 1,836 Posts

You should have a parts manual also. It shows pictures of everything along with the number for it whereas the service manual just shows you how to do something.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:11 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Check your PM's

Old 01-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Ohiobellboy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 02ULTRA
The factory service manual is a must. Don't waste your money on a after market manual unless you want it as a secondary resource.
How many miles on your ride? Something to consider, if it has not already been done is checking the cam chain tensioners, they will eventually wear out and reap havoc on your motor if not caught in time. Mine has 24k on the motor, I checked the at 21K and all is well for now, but I will check them every 10k now. HD has a hydraulic replacement kit for them when it is time to replace.

PS. good choice in vehicles, I also have a 2003 Avalanche, best truck I have ever owned.
Thanks for the tip on the service manual.

Just under 13k. I don't know what all's been done to it so I wanted to make sure it's good.

I've had my '04 since Oct of '07. I love it and the wife wants one of her own. Have done a ton of mods to it. There's another member on here that also has an '03 2500. He's a member of one of the Avy forums I used to visit. Too much BS on that site so I mainly stick to a smaller one.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:12 PM
02ULTRA
Road Captain

[QUOTE=Ohiobellboy;6103927]Thanks for the tip on the service manual.

Just under 13k. I don't know what all's been done to it so I wanted to make sure it's good.

You should be good on the Cam Chains, I recommend checking the wear on the tensioners @ 20k, I have heard that the front one can look good and the back one be worn out. Make sure to check both.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:40 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

[QUOTE=02ULTRA;6104030]
Originally Posted by Ohiobellboy
Thanks for the tip on the service manual.

You should be good on the Cam Chains, I recommend checking the wear on the tensioners @ 20k, I have heard that the front one can look good and the back one be worn out. Make sure to check both.

Get a cheap dental mirror to see the one on the inside.